Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help: Receiver seems hot!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 AM
rcj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Receiver seems hot!

These are new parts that was tested together while waiting for my XXX-T MF2 electric truck kit to be delivered:

- Maxamps 6000mah 7.4V 2S2P lipo
- Hitec digital servo HS5625S
- Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz transmitter and R603FF receiver
- Mamba Max ESC and 5700 motor

The testing was was done at about room temperatures (25C / 75F) for about 5-10mins, with (less than normal) varying steering movement and throttle movement. Temperature readings after testing was about
39C/102F receiver, 42C/107F ESC, and 52C/126F motor. Does the receiver temperature seem hot to you? I'm sure that if it run under normal conditions the receiver could only and will get much hotter. (actually, wind effects on receiver/electronics may give some cooling BUT...)

I was testing this because I wanted to see if the receiver which is rated at 6V could be powered from the 5V ESC output throttle channel. Could there be something here? Also, the servo is digital and rated at 4.8V to 6.0V. Could there be something here? I've read digital servo draws much more current than analog servos but this test was done under no steering load on the servo.

Can someone comment on this?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Help: Receiver seems hot!

The RX should be room temperature. There's NO reason it should get hot AT ALL. 7.2 might be too much for it. You might try a voltage regulator in there.

Dr.1
Old 04-29-2007, 11:26 AM
rcj

DR1DRIVER: The receiver is only getting 5.0V from the ESC which is powered from the 7.4V power pack that runs the motor. There's no separate power pack specifically for the receiver & servo.

I've never seen a receiver getting hot. I'm wondering if it's not getting enough voltage (since it's rated at 6V) and/or the digital receiver draws higher current than the analog servos that I've used in the past. Does someone know?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:38 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

rcj,
Have you measured the 5v line to the receiver? It may be the problem. A component failure in the ESC could cause an over voltage condition to the receiver. Try the receiver with the servos connected and see if it gets hot after a few minutes. Either way, it isn't good for the receiver. Try a sepparte battery pack if you have one.

Dave
Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
rcj

Dave:
I just measured the 5V line to the receiver and it is 5.11V. Unfortunately, I don't have a separate receiver power pack.

(The Mamba Max ESC and motor only had been ran a few times in my Rustler without any problem.)

The servo is not a Futaba brand but is Hitec. I don't know if that could be the cause. I don't know what is wrong.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Dr1Driver

5.11v won't hurt or overload the RX. I regularly run a 5 cell pack in my planes on Hitec and Futaba RXs with no problems. Dunno what's wrong, either.

Dr.1
Old 05-02-2007, 06:00 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

rcj,
Well, if it is hot, something is drawing to much current. You have to troubleshoot by removing or adding components, until you locate the cause.

Dave