Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

mastering the 9Z ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 12:54 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mastering the 9Z ?

Is there any video, factory class, or book that clearly explains all the different functions of the 9Z & how to efficiently program it all ?
After talking to most 9Z owners, it seems they have them just to have the best & dont fully understand them.
Jermaine
Old 02-27-2003, 02:03 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, do you have a manual? I always heard that the 9Z manual was written in a foreign language that was incomprehensible to anyone.

When I finally got one, I found the manual to be rather informative. But you have to sit down and READ it, not just skim over it.

Don Edberg is supposedly working on a 9Z user's guide that explains everything much more clearly. I'll buy one when (if) it becomes available, but for now I'm muddling along just fine by using the Futaba manual. If you don't have one, you can download it off the Futaba/Empire site.

I hate to disagree, but I didn't spend $1300 on this sucker just for bragging rights. I bought it for the features and versatility. True, I'll probably never use more than a third of it's cabability. But the stark fact is that the 9Z has features no other radio except MultiPlex, or the high-end JR and Futaba radios offered in Europe (that we will never see here) can come close to.

I flew a JR 10SX II for seven years. The differences between it and the current 10X are very few. I too scoffed at the 9Z as being overkill; until I sat down with one alongside my 10SX II. Talk about an eye-opener...

And it was worth every dime I paid to switch over.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:22 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything is in the manual; however, there are some neat programming setups that may not be intuitive just from reading the manual. Check out the futaba web site for some programming examples. http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9z.html
Old 02-27-2003, 09:47 PM
BlueBus320

Thanks for the info guys.
Steve, I guess you live around a more knowledgeable group than I do. I dont know what type of program you are setting, but to set up my fiberclassic with a few different flight conditions would not have been very easy for me alone with just that instruction booklet, & atleast 1/2 the 9Z owners I asked had no idea why I wanted to do such a set up. I LOVE THIS RADIO !!! & although I can navigate my way through a whole lot of it, I believe I am just scatching the surface. I want to understand all that it offers with explanations on how to put the functions to practicle use, & in my opinion you need more than just the manual to fully understand this radio & the reason for all its functions.
Jermaine
Old 02-27-2003, 09:53 PM
BlueBus320

Hey John, Very nice site !
Old 02-27-2003, 10:22 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Jermaine, I must add that I have had no problems navigating through the heli menus. Of course, I've been fooling with them (helis) for a long time, and have some idea of the theory as well as the application.

Fancy fixed-wing set-ups are another kettle of fish. If my LHS will ever get the shipment of UCD's he ordered, I may find myself in the same boat you're in...<G>. I have done some neat programming tricks with my SIG Something' Extra, but the UCD's twin elevator servos add another joker to the deck.

There are only a couple of 9Zs around here besides mine, all flown by heli guys. I'll admit to getting a bit of help in a couple of areas from my pal who knows the 9Z very well, but most of what I've done with it has been self-generated.

I understand your desire to know much more; me too, which is why I'll spring for the Edberg book. But until that comes along, I know of no tutorial on the 9Z that is readily available besides the manual and few tips on The Empire's site.

John Benario (RCM heli columnist) had a few of his columns dedicated to using the 9Z, but they were years ago, and strictly heli-related.

Still, the manual does a pretty good job of explaining each menu item and how to apply it. It is when you start mixing conditions that things get hairy.

I'm looking forward to diving into that UCD programming...

Steve