Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Old-school newbie here......

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 03:23 AM
warthog44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old-school newbie here......

Our whole group quit cold-turkey about 13 years ago and we are just now getting back in. I am amazed at the progress in engines and ARF's over the last decade, and the prices are great.

Question is, I can't understand what the big deal is about having a programmable radio other than the option of doing flaperons. Yeah, I know you can set end points and do mixing and all of that stuff but what is the big deal? You can do that mechanically if you work at it a little. Like I said, flaperons sound really cool but why should I chuck up the extra bucks for the other stuff.

Keep in mind that I really want one and that I just need a little coaxing to convince myself.

Also.... what is a good lower end programmable to get my feet wet with.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:32 AM
rjbarthel-RCU

the HITEC FLASH 5 is good or JR has a good low end thransmiter also .
Old 02-26-2003, 03:59 AM
warthog44

Default Wow.....

Great price. $172 in Tower Hobbies. It this still the best place to buy?
Old 02-26-2003, 07:01 AM
strato911

It could all be done manually, even flaperons (with manual mixing trays). It's MUCH easier though with a computer radio. After all, this hobby is supposed to be fun.

Also, computer radios have a memory, allowing you to use one transmitter for multiple planes, or you can try multiple different setups for each plane (different throw rates, mix rates, channel coupling, etc...). This reduces the cost somewhat, and allows you to become more consistant, since the radio never changes.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:06 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the days of setting up a Kraft 4 channel to get the perfect throw on the throttle, planning what side to run the push rods so the servos would move the rudder and elevator the right way are long gone. I do remember when they came out with w REVERSE servo to make life easyer.

With a new radio the set up takes about 5 minutes. Press a button and the servos are reversed. End point adjustment, dual rates, mixing, multiple setups, several planes on 1 Tx.

The cost of a middle radio is less the the old 4 channels. The new radios just make life so much easeyer. Airtronics RD6000 are a good choice for a new radio. You can use any brand of Rx and servo out there.

Dru.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:30 PM
warthog44

Default Question....

I just looked up the Airtronics RD6000 and I was comparing it to the Futaba 6xas and the futaba appears to have the same features for a lot less. I am sure I am wrong because Futaba used to always be the "high-end" brand but my untrained eye can't see the difference.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:24 AM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

You can get the same features as these radios and a few bonuses with a top-line Hitec unit for less money. I fly a Prism 7X.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:43 AM
rjbarthel-RCU

if i was going to spend under $150- $200 Id say the flash 5 and for the $250-$300 Id go for the Hitec Eclipse lots more featurs than the futaba T6XAS has ! but there are also some JRs in that price range that are good also ! and $300-$400 Id take the futaba 9CAP great radio !! just some features that one will like useing are sub trims ,end points , expo ,dual rates , digital trims, flapperon mix, evelon mix, throtle cut and most of all multi model memorie! there are lotsa others also but I use these als will say Id hate to be without any of them ! just my $.02
Old 02-28-2003, 03:48 AM
strato911

Default Re: Question....

Originally posted by warthog44
I just looked up the Airtronics RD6000 and I was comparing it to the Futaba 6xas and the futaba appears to have the same features for a lot less.
I don't want to start a pi**ing war, since everyone has their favorites. Some people prefer Airtronics, some prefer Futaba, still others preffer Hitec, Multiplex, etc... However, Futaba seems to be the current leader. As such, they are selling more radios, allowing them to sell for less.

On an RCU survey (http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hreadid=126888), people are choosing Futaba over Airtronics almost 5 to 1.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:42 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a JR man but I must say that the 9c with its ability to assign switches is cool. Programing and learning Futaba-ese is a pain though...For those of you interested the JR 9X will be available soon with nine fully proportional channels in both PPM and PCM mode vs the 9c's eight channels in PPM and only a switched ninth channel in PCM.

I,too, have put up with the radios of the past with their inability to reverse servos, lack of dual rates, exponential---that was Star Wars stuff back in the day!!! However, if you now attempt to take away my computer radio you will draw back a nub!!!! I think that everyone here would suggest that you buy the best radio that you can afford. The radio is the brain, heart and soul of your plane, directly connecting you with your model. You will be amazed how much you will learn and use these extra "Bells and Whistles" as your hobby advances. Then, you will wonder how you ever got along without these goodies!!!!

Kevin
Old 02-28-2003, 12:07 PM
rjbarthel-RCU

Thumbs up to everyone on this thread !! I think looking back and if I was to start over again, Id decide on brand useing these points !
1. whats most used at your field so you can get help if needed !! 2. do you have any old radio equipment that you may use also and if its going to be compatable !
3.the absolute max $ you can spend !!Then add another $20 LOL
4.learn about the features and what they will do for you !! and what features you may want later .
5.eze of use like programming ! the T6XAS compaired to the 9CAP is unbeliveable !! the 9C almost programes its self hahaha
6. model memory ! how many models can you put into it ?
Im not looking at all to sway you or say this is better than this !! but befor i knew I bought a T6XAS and for a aout the same price i could have gotten the eclipse much more radio !! and yes I know JR and Aritronics have radios too but they are very few in numbers at our club and after one has started with a brand its pricy to change over thats all !
Old 03-01-2003, 12:25 AM
Kevin Greene

rjbarthel,

You bring up some very good points. It really depends on what seems to be popular in your club as to what determines the radio you might buy. In my club, everyone was flying Futaba until a few of us showed up with our JR radios that didn't need an aftermarket book to show you how to program it. Now, almost everyone flies JR. I would imagine that had the 9c been available at that time there would not have been as many converts. You say that the 9c programs itself---I'm glad for you!!! You now enjoy what JR owners have enjoyed for years. If Futaba comes out with a twelve channel radio that is as easy to program as the 9c I will more than likely switch back to Futaba!!! Let's see.....Twelve channels, synthesized frequency selection----I'm sold!!!!

The bottom line is that if you go with Futaba, JR, or Hitec you can't go wrong. Parts are easily available at just about any hobby shop and service from their service centers is excellent. I mix and match servos from all of these manufacturers to fit my needs. I've had very good results from all of them.

Kevin
Old 03-01-2003, 01:42 AM
rjbarthel-RCU

Hey Kevin
I hear ya on the programming !! I have looked at the JR 8103 a few times on the web and would love to see one inperson ! but i dont know anyone around here that has one . and our LHS has futaba and sometimes a Hitec ! Im sure they would order anything one wants but at $500 or so Id like to see it up close ! so to keep compatabliity working for me i stayed with the hitec and futaba !! I wont ever slam what I dont know ! maybe I mite pick up a JR xp662 just to cut my teeth on ! Im sure that all radio manufacturers are going to get the programming down to a point and click LOL you know the easier a radio is to program the more one is apt to play with it and experament with differant settings ! thats what makes a old airplane into a new fun toy again !
When we go out and spend the day or maybe just a few hrs flying and we can go home with everything in one piece and working its a great day and great equipment no matter what the make or model !!
Old 03-01-2003, 04:00 AM
Kevin Greene

The 8103 will be sold at bargain prices when the new JR 9X hits the scene. I would wait for a 9X. From what I hear this radio is basically a JR 10X "Lite" The screen is large like the 10X and has similar programing but sans the flight modes and a few of the other more complicated mixes.

The Futaba 9wc ??? (the top of the line Futaba radio) will actually do much more than the 10X. The Achilles heal is the programing. Also, Futaba has fallen behind in some ways with their flagship radio as it is really only an eight channel radio with a switched (on or off) non-proportional ninth channel where as the JR10x has 10 true proportional channels. The last two channels on the 10X are updated only half as often as the other channels and are not suitable for flight surface control. Each radio has its' +'s and -'s. I really like Futaba's ability to synthesize channels and the ability to fly helicopters too. Now, if the programing would be as easy as the 9c and offered twelve proportional channels, as I said before I would buy it!! I really believe that in time this radio will be a reality and will trump the competition when it is available. Who will be first??? Futaba or JR????

Kevin