Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6 channel radio ~$200USD recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Claude626

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 channel radio ~$200USD recommendation?

Hi,

Given the price cap of $200 USD, what is a good Transmitter + Receiver + 4 servos combo?

I'm looking at the Spektrum DX6: http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=3048
and the Futaba 6EXH: http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=2204
(The futaba combo comes either with servo 31 or servo 50, what's the difference)

The DX6 is 2.4Ghz and I think the 6EXH is the traditional 72mhz? I have heard that the servos that comes w/ the DX6 are unreliable, is it?

I heard that 2.4Ghz is the way to go now adays, but not sure given the limited choices.

What's your recommendation? Not limited to just those two mentioned combos, but maybe you can configure a combo from different stuff?

Thanks

Old 05-20-2007, 03:58 PM
carrellh

Default RE: 6 channel radio ~$200USD recommendation?

I only know one person with a DX6. He got it soon after it was introduced and has many flights on a little 3D foamy of some sort. He hasn’t had any problems with the servos. The DX6, and its flight pack, is intended for models that are not flown far away. That typically means small, lightweight, models that do not need a lot of servo torque.

If I had no radio equipment at all I’d consider starting with one of the spread spectrum systems. I have a lot of 72 mhz receivers, though, so I’m sticking with 72 mhz for as long as possible. I think a lot of new spread spectrum offerings will be on the market in another year or so. Competition might even help drive receiver prices down.

What kind of model will the radio be going in? Big/small? Electric/glow/gas?

Here is a link to all of the 6-channel radios available at Tower Hobbies:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...7p?CATEGORY=JJ
The possibilities are mind boggling until you narrow it down to a specific set of requirements. And, this is just what Tower sells. Horizon’s list of JR, Spektrum, and others is just as long.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Claude626

Ah, I'm intending to use it on the Walkera #36B and want the head room to move on to something like the T-Rex 450. You are right, I don't have a good set of radio system yet.(save for the walkera wk-0701 and its receiver, which I'm trying to upgrade from)

When you say close range, what do you mean? 10 feet, 20 feet, 50 feet, 1 mile, 2 miles?

Yea, I was browsing through the kits and it seems really mind boggling. Especially when you can't touch and feel them.

PS: I know... I just got the heli and already "blinging" it... but I kept on reading that the radio system will make the most difference, so I figure if I get the right equipment, then learning's not gonna be as tough as dealing with defects while picking up skill.

Also, it would help if someone would give me the run-of-the-mill about different brands and such. What brand to avoid and what brand is worth the dough.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I suggest you find some local fliers in your area and see what they are flying. You can learn a lot from other's first hand.. including tips on flying your Heli..
Old 05-20-2007, 06:15 PM
xcellheli
My Feedback: (1)

The one thing about the Futaba is that it is a full range system. You can fly it in any model.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:11 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXPZT8 is the Futaba FASST 2.4 system. You should be able to get a $20 discount offer, I get them all the time. You will still need servos though but you will be well ahead of the game. It's a full range system that you can use in hele's and all planes.

The DX6 is a Park Flyer radio system of limited range.

You're buying a radio system that will stay with you for years. Try to find a way to afford it.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

The DX6 will limit your future aircraft too much.

If you need to stay under your price cap, I would suggest watching the classified ads for a DX7 (at least the Tx and Rx, people tend to use servos that suit their needs anyways).

The DX7 will be quite usuable for everything from small indoor and parkflyers to giant scale aerobatic planes as well as helis.

There should be more of the used DX7's available as some people will upgrade to the X9303 or 12X as well as the Spektrum module for their existing radios.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:18 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Claude626

When you say close range, what do you mean? 10 feet, 20 feet, 50 feet, 1 mile, 2 miles?

Also, it would help if someone would give me the run-of-the-mill about different brands and such. What brand to avoid and what brand is worth the dough.
Futaba lists the range of most of their "Micro" receivers as 650 feet. Other brands are probably similar. "Full Range" receivers can potentially pick up a signal from more than a mile away. In the US, we're required to keep them close enough to see them with just our eyes (no binoculars), but a big heli chould easily be flown more than 650 feet away.

I think all of the major brands are good.

The DX6 might be a great selection if you plan to stick with the smaller helis like the Walkera and T-Rex. And, if you ever decided to go with a DX7 (or their next bigger badder model) the DX6 receiver should work with it. Finding a local person to talk to about specific features needed would be a great help.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:06 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just remember that a decked out Trex will run in the neighborhood of $700 plus. So if you spend a little over $200 you are still spending much less on your radio than your planes and heli's. Just a thought.