Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FASST RADIO RELIABILITY

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:08 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FASST RADIO RELIABILITY

I haven't seen much about the FASST Futaba radios in the forums. There must be some flying and I'd be interested in how they are doing. Plenty of stories, good and bad, about Spektrum based radios. Let's hear some user reports on the Futaba side. Just wanting to hear from actual users please.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:26 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FASST RADIO RELIABILITY

I think the Futaba owners are waiting for the Modules to come out on the market. It like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
NEDYOB
Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
bruce88123

They don't need modules. The radio is complete and operational as delivered.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXPZT8
In fact, it won't accept a module.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:18 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think NedyBob's point was not many current Futaba owners are buying the entry level 6EX FASST system and are waiting for higher channel count modules and receivers for their higher end transmitters. You can put me squarely into this category -- I am eagerly awaiting a module and receivers for my 9z.

Last night I had my first student with a 6EX FASST transmitter. It worked great and I couldn't tell a difference from a 72 Mhz radio, or a Spektrum SS radio... The only thing I noticed was there is a 1/2 second delay after pressing the trainer switch before the buddy box gets control. Releasing the trainer switch instantly gives control back to the master transmitter. And like many Futaba computer radios you have to enable the "trainer" functionality...
Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
sfsjkid

There is more info over at RC Groups

http://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/

I'll just say it worked well in my 2 40 sized glow planes, and 3 electrics. Only problems are inherited from the 72Mhz EX, ie the "slow" trainer switch response and the occasional gimbal one.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:07 AM
bruce88123

GalenB - that's appropriate. Also one reason I asked for actual user opinions.

sfsjkid - good link, thanks. I don,t mind it being slightly slow giving control to the student as long as I can recover it quickly. That appears to be what happens.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: GalenB

I think NedyBob's point was not many current Futaba owners are buying the entry level 6EX FASST system and are waiting for higher channel count modules and receivers for their higher end transmitters. You can put me squarely into this category -- I am eagerly awaiting a module and receivers for my 9z.
I've been die hard Futaba tx's since I started the RC flying thing and also wanted a suitable replacement for my 9Z, but by using only the module you don't get the advantages of a system designed for the newer and faster transmission of data from the tx to the rx. All a module will do is to convert the frequency range to the 2.4 GHz band. Then there is the problem with the fact that the new modules will only work with the tx in it's PPM mode, so you lose access to the 9th channel as well as the 10th channel on the 9Z, for those who've made the mods to their R149DP rx's.

Krysta over on the Futaba support forum finally told a person that the new 12FG (which is a bit cheaper with fewer features than the 12Z) radio which I thought was going to be a FASST system, is only going to come as a module type radio which can still run 72 MHz modules as well. So any speed avantage you'd get from a true FASST system radio are not available even when the new radios come out, which they still have no idea or at least won't say when they'll be out. I've been told by several folks who've been in and around the hobby and are usually reliable, that Futaba doesn't even have working units out for field testing.

Then there is the whole antenna thing with the modules, which I find to be a pretty "tacky" setup and could easily be vulnerable to damage.

JR's new 9 channel is set for release in late July and it's a full Spektrum radio with a 12 channel set for release in the Fall of this year. Considering how I've been treated by Futaba when even trying to get questions aswered about my 9Z, the fact that it was declared obselete and to be replaced by the 12Z one month after I bought it and other considerations, I've backordered the new JR nine channel 2.4 GHz radio...
Old 05-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Gulliver

"So any speed avantage you'd get from a true FASST system radio are not available even when the new radios come out, which they still have no idea or at least won't say when they'll be out."

What and how much is the speed advantage that comes with the new systems ?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
jman12
My Feedback: (13)

I just bought the Futaba 6EX for $184.00 from Tower Hobbies. I'm only a six channel max flyer so the new FASST system is fine for me. My TF P-40 just got shot down three weeks ago, so I bought the new radio to avoid it from happening again. Good investment!
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
bruce88123

IF I recall correctly, Krysta said the 12FG was going to come INITIALY as a modual system in order to get a high channel count 2.4 system out as soon as possible BUT that she thought the dedicated system would follow afterwards.

Now, as I asked in my opening post, I'd like comments from those who currently own FASST systems or have previously owned them. I have no interest in speculation or other comments or your opinions of Spektrum/JR. There are other threads for that please. I am solely interested in how reliable the FASST radios are. Antenna position, color, switch location, latency or what you had for lunch doesn't matter to me. I just want to know if it works reliably before I buy one. Sorry to be so rough.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:25 PM
bruce88123

jman12 - thanks for the post. Let me know how if works please.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:03 PM
onewasp

When you find that forum/site-----the one which stays rigidly 'on topic'------let me know 'cause it certainly won't be here.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Bruce ...

Futaba has been in the 2.4ghz arena in commercial operations for some time. Frankly I was a bit shocked that they got beat to the market by Spectrum. In any case if they offered a higher end radio I would fly it in my helicopters with 100 percent confidence. The reason you dont hear alot about them is probably because they just work.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 PM
bruce88123

BarracudaHockey - That's what I'm expecting/hoping to find. I have until the new 7C comes out to satisfy myself. Don't want a module version although I'm sure reliability would be as good.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM
sfsjkid

Actually, IMHO, the cynical side of me says that Futaba is a conservative company and didn't want to get into the SS market because of the possible downfalls, ie antenna placement, blocking issues and uncertain future of the band. Also, though the move probably cost them some market share, they may have waited to see how Spektrum did with the "new" technology.

Don't get me wrong though, I do have the 6 channel SS radio to experiment with and right now I'm contemplating my next move. It was easier when the compatibility chart showed that all the RX's worked with all the TX modules. I was going to buy a bunch of 6 channel RX's to be used with my 9C/9Z with future plans to buy at least a 12Z. Now that the 6 channel RX will only work with the 12FG and higher modules, I'm on the bench. I can get the 12Z to remain compatible with what I have, or I can just buy the Xtreme modules for my 9C/9Z and forget about the 12Z.

Personally, while I do agree that the modules look ugly, clunkly and probably get in the way, I do prefer them to be able to go back and forth between the bands.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:37 PM
BillS

All technologies have learning and acceptance curves. Those who are early adaptors and on the cutting edge of the curve often get cut by being on the edge. The rate of change over the next nine months will be swift. Spectrum already has some serious low voltage spiking issues and Futaba will surely have their own issues as higher channel counts are released and more is understood about the system.

Now, as I asked in my opening post, I'd like comments from those who currently own FASST systems or have previously owned them. I have no interest in speculation or other comments or your opinions of Spektrum/JR. There are other threads for that please. I am solely interested in how reliable the FASST radios are. Antenna position, color, switch location, latency or what you had for lunch doesn't matter to me . I just want to know if it works reliably before I buy one. Sorry to be so rough.
Since it appears that you desire absolute assuredly maybe your best approach will be to wait until the shakedown is complete.

Bill
Old 05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
onewasp

A wll intended thread--------but that is it. You've got so many out there who modify; or don't ever read the instructions; or who don't even seem to think; or who have zip for background.

I have had zero difficulty--------but then the same could be said of the other systems as they appeared.
However you've got those who could screw up a steel ball -------- swearing it's the radio.

Same old same old I'm afraid and the easiest way to gain the answers you want is to "buy and fly".
Not much for the initial cost--------use your head and you will find that they work just fine------and the answers will be just what you are looking four as it will be your data.
You'll never get the right impression from the data presented here as you have zero in the way of controls.

Therefore you've got the two year "experts" right along side the fifty year "experts" -----but there is no way for you to weight the replies.

I'm afraid it is a nice exercise-----but that is about all. Sorry-----but it's true.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also see the Futaba 2.4Ghz User Report thread in this forum.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58...tm.htm#5895517

Brian
Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: BillS

Since it appears that you desire absolute assuredly maybe your best approach will be to wait until the shakedown is complete.

Bill
As an Electrical Engineer I know there are few absolutes in electronics. As an avionics type type I know the value of finding the best system available. When you work with inertial navigation systems that keep planes from flying into mountains reliability is very important. All systems will have their good and bad sides. I am trying to find what they are for the FASST system prior to purchase. By the time the 7C system I expect to want is available there WILL be more known about FASST.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:39 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: onewasp

A wll intended thread--------but that is it. You've got so many out there who modify; or don't ever read the instructions; or who don't even seem to think; or who have zip for background.

I have had zero difficulty--------but then the same could be said of the other systems as they appeared.
However you've got those who could screw up a steel ball -------- swearing it's the radio.

Same old same old I'm afraid and the easiest way to gain the answers you want is to "buy and fly".
Not much for the initial cost--------use your head and you will find that they work just fine------and the answers will be just what you are looking four as it will be your data.
You'll never get the right impression from the data presented here as you have zero in the way of controls.

Therefore you've got the two year "experts" right along side the fifty year "experts" -----but there is no way for you to weight the replies.

I'm afraid it is a nice exercise-----but that is about all. Sorry-----but it's true.
I know exactly what you are sayng. As long as I've been at this it usually takes about a paragraph to sort the knowlegable from the wannabe experts. They really do stand out. Ya just learn to play along with them and not insult them. They can't help it. There are "experts" in the airplane forums that haven't even flown.
Thanks for the post.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:40 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: aghost

Also see the Futaba 2.4Ghz User Report thread in this forum.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_58...tm.htm#5895517

Brian
Thanks, I've been following that one already.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:47 PM
xcellheli
My Feedback: (1)

It is my understanding that the module for the 12 and 14 channel radios will not be a ppm to 2.4 conversion. I suspect this is true since the Spektrum modules for these radios only has 8 channels and requires a cord plugged into the trainer port. The Futaba module does not do this and gives all 14 channels. The Futaba modules must be able to work directly with the core processing without ppm.

I flew with a friend who has the 6 channel FAST and everything worked great. So far he loves the system.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 PM
bruce88123

thanks
Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM
BillS

As an Electrical Engineer ...
For those who have both kinds of radios the more important question might be: “Which technology is superior?” As an Electrical Engineer you might shed some insight on the question.

Futaba appears to be about 6 months behind the curve getting production units in the hands of users. There does not appear to be enough heavy-duty use or experience of Futaba gear to know where the problems and design oversights will show up.

Bill
Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
bruce88123

I like some of the special features of the Spektrum/JR systems such as Model Match but I feel Futaba's basic frequency hopping methodology is superior. I feel it will be less susceptible to interference. So far I have also not heard of any of the "brown out" or battery problems that APPEAR to exist with the other systems. Again, I am not here to discuss non-FASST radios, they have their own threads. I have made no final decision yet but am leaning toward Futaba at this time. I've never had a problem keeping track of what plane I was flying on my other multi-plane radios.

EVERYONE must buy what they like best and I'm not trying to influence anyone else's choices here, just mine.