Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

ESC Wiring ... Seems Small to me

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 PM
djdiverdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC Wiring ... Seems Small to me

Hello , I have a question about an ESC . I will try to make it short . I am a newbie and have started this post on another page but it sorta got off subject ... Started as a Prop size question and led to this . So I thought I should post it here where it is more fitting ..

I have a trainer and have crashed it . While I am fixing the damage I decided to "Hop Up" the motor .. Bought a bigger motor and was advised that I might need a new ESC to power it .. So I got it and bought 1 that was supposto be plenty big enough (I needed 10 maybe 15 amps and got a 40 to be sure ..

Ok ... Now the Question ... When I got the ESC I was sorta shocked .. The wiring that goes with it seem really small ... Like 18 guage to power the motor and 16 to go to the motor ... I am pretty good with wire sizes . I could be off by 1 size .They might each be 1 size larger than I said ..But Still .. They are small . To supply 40 amps ???

The ESC is a Esky EM 140 A .. I will try to post a picture of it .. Can someone Please give me the scoop on this???

I got the new one for 1 reason because I assumed that the 1 the plane came with was the cheapest one they could get . I tried to get some specs off it but could not find any . Even took the shrink tubing off to look close .. And the thing is the wiring on this original one is bigger .. That sorta confuses me that the wiring on thoriginal one which only needs to pull 10 amps MAX is bigger ..

Sorry this got to long .. Can someone please give me the scoop on these ESC's ?? Are they supposto have this small of wiring??

So I will try to get this photo to load I put a paper clip and a toothpick in the pic so you can compare them to the wires .. Each wire has 2 wires in it 2 on the bottom for the motor and 2 on the top for the battery ... i think you can "click" on the pic to make it larger ..

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me ... Don J.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50688.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	691393  
Old 05-28-2007, 10:50 AM
sdmahr

Default RE: ESC Wiring ... Seems Small to me

The ESC use high frequency "switching" to control the speed of the motor. The more time "on" than "off" makes it go faster. The more time "off" than "on" makes it slow down. This is more efficient than a traditional dc power source.

To sum it up I believe the wiring is adequate for an ESC to DC motor application. If we were talking about a cigarette lighter circuit in a automobile that would be a different story ! ! [X(]
Old 05-28-2007, 11:25 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also known as PWM or Pulse Width Modulation. This varies what is called the "duty cycle".
Old 05-28-2007, 05:07 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Good luck pulling 40amps through those connectors. They are good for about 10amps at best and thats pushing it.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:41 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: lrb75

Good luck pulling 40amps through those connectors. They are good for about 10amps at best and thats pushing it.
I'm sure you are right. Undoubtedly the manufacturer has done no testing and is deliberately selling a defective product so he can establish a bad reputation and drive away customers. I can see the value in doing that. I certainly wouldn't want to see MY business flourish.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:46 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

ORIGINAL: lrb75

I'm sure you are right. Undoubtedly the manufacturer has done no testing and is deliberately selling a defective product so he can establish a bad reputation and drive away customers. I can see the value in doing that. I certainly wouldn't want to see MY business flourish.
irb75 got it right, I believe that unit is 14A with a .40A BEC[X(], no way it's a 40A ESC
Pete
Old 05-28-2007, 07:29 PM
bruce88123

I'll admit I don't know much about ESC and may have made a mistake in trusting djdiverdon to have bougt a 40 amp unit. Perhaps he mis-purchased.

If I made a mistake, I apologize. djdiverdon needs to make sure what he bought. The picture he provided has too small of print and I was unable to find the unit online to verify any data.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:01 PM
djdiverdon

Hello to all , Thanks so much for the replies ... It looks like I did not give enough Info to decide about this ESC Problem .. Sorry

I have" looked" at a lot of ESC's on the Internet ... As best as you can and am pretty sure that this one isn't a 40 amp ...

I want to try to post the web page that led me to this one ... It's from Raidentech and the page I'm posying has a bunch on it ... The 40 amp for $13 . something dollars is the one if you "click" on it that will take you to the page where I bought it from ....

Really looks to me like they are saying it's a 40 amp one if you look at this page and the one it leads to .... I'm trying to reach them on the phone but it's allways busy ... Gonna E-mail them AGAIN and also I have e-mailed the Esky people who make this ESC and have not heard back from either of them ...

Thanks so much for all of your replies ... Look at these 2 pages and tell me what you think ...Please ...

www.raidentech.com/40aeshiquale.html I should have known from the price ... But I'm new ?? Oh well live and learn??

Thanks again for all of the help ....Don J.