Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Buying new Radios - Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 01:53 PM
talbert
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying new Radios - Need Input

Like the title said I'm buying new radios (recently moved and built a new house and cleared my inventory before I moved).

Prior to getting out of the hobby awhile back I was 100% JR. Now I see this new Spectrum stuff popping up everywhere and it seems to be the way to go, especially since I'm starting from the ground up. What I'm toying with is whether there is an advantage one way or the other to go with the new JR radio or buy Spectrum brand specifically.

Can anyone help me out here? I need some pointers before I dive back in and drop some cash.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Buying new Radios - Need Input

They are the same thing, get one of the spectrumized JRs like the 9303 that RCKen just reviewed, much better programming and all the inherent advantages of 2.4ghz
Old 05-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can wait for the X9303 which is the same thing as the 72Mhz 9303 but with spektrum built right in. From what I understand the radio should not be any different than the 72mhz 9303 except for the antenna, and no module in the rear of the radio.

Otherwise, since you don't have any radios, you could pick up a used radio that uses a module (Futaba or JR) and you can use the spektrum modules being distributed NOW.

Rafael
Old 05-22-2007, 07:06 PM
talbert

Is the X9303 not out yet? I thought it was (with spectrum). Dang..means I'll be grounded awhile. I dont wanna buy twice. Unless I'm missing something I have to wait?
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real question is how much radio do you need, The 9303 is the way to go if you need that much radio but the DX 7 will handle quite a bit. The Futaba would be fine if all your doing is sport flying. I would definitely step upto 2.4 ghz though, 72 mhz is going the way of the doe doe bird.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 AM
davo580

you can get the pcm 9x {jr} and when ready get the 2.4 module to soute
Old 05-29-2007, 08:56 AM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what JR transmitter you had but you could have retained all the attributes of a "modular" transmitter by simply purchasing for example the Xtreme rf module and receiver (up to 10 channel). Though you may only have had an eight channel transmitter using the ten channel receiver permits channel mixes so you do not have to worry about servo differentials as was the case with non digital systems. Additionally, the use of programmable servos would permit ganging of functions commonly found in scale aircraft so a single switch initiates a sequence of events or actions you want to start at the same time.

Making a purchasing decision is more difficult than ever before. Lucky for those who still have high end transmitters you do not have to get rid of it and spend another $k on new transmitter, multiple receivers, and servos which you invested in as an element of mechanical assurance over the base line systems. (whether that is a truism one way or the other )

Below is a posting of the results of an evaluation conducted on May 18th which may be of value to you as a modeler with more than a few questions about the consequences of purchasing SS 2.4 gig. While nothing can be taken for granted, do not assume what was, is. You will be the wiser for the more investigation you personally conduct relative to what segment of this hobby you might be involved in, tomorrow and the next day.

On the 18th of May an evaluation was conducted of Flite-Metal with three different spread spectrum 2.4 gig systems.

FYI:To answer some questions jet jocks and natural finished warbird builders might have we have posted the results of an evaluation conducted by George Maiorana and two others using his TU4.

http://004edc4.netsolhost.com/fm__spread_spectrum.htm

The range was identical regardless of where the receiver and servos sat. The systems, all of them, were still working correctly when the evaluation team stopped the evaluation with the systems in normal flight mode. The evaluation was not measuring r/f strength of the SS systems. You will note that would have required electronic measuring equipment. It was and is the only desire to observe any physical difference in the operation of the servos under the conditions the SS systems were used.

I hope this contributes to the knowledge base being expressed relative to 2.4 gig radios and their use. It is not intended to be a radio comparison, but to illustrate the findings observed during the evaluation of an application which worked correctly when a 72 khz radio system was used to control the evaluation aircraft for years in scale competition.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
talbert

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decided to go ahead and buy a DX-7 for now as it's enough radio for what I need for the time being. I may eventually move up to the 12ch JR if and when im ready for that much radio but as P-40 mentioned, the DX7 isnt bad at all for most of my flying needs. Especially when re-entering the hobby. 2.4 def seems the way to go. I would have preferred JR but my servos will work with either so no harm done if I decide to go JR down the line.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:54 PM
zope_pope

I just bought a Futaba 12z and I plan to use the Futaba modules when they come out to go 2.4ghz. The radio feels great, flexibility is crazy and it flies both Heli's and Airplanes (the 10x i was considering didn't). Also, the benefit of going my route in my mind is that I don't have to convert all receivers over at one time. I can fly both 72mhz and 2.4ghz, plus the response time of the 12z is just amazing. It feels like I am flying on my simulator at home. Much better. Just my 0.02 from a Futaba Guy.