Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR's PCM12X for the Rest Of The World

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:09 AM
seattle_helo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JR's PCM12X for the Rest Of The World

Tony, tell them to add more memory! It is so cheap!! And I agree that removable media would be the ideal. Just a nice, simple CF card interface made by many OEM's. Do you think they might consider that?

nick
Old 06-15-2007, 10:56 AM
GBR2

and what happens if you decide to fly a plane you have not flown in a while, go to the field, only to find that you forgot to upload the setup?? The ability to store 100 or more setups is currently available. I'd think a flash card/stick capability would be a no brainer in this day and age. However, all the specs and features are preliminary so who knows what will change by the time it is released, they might even restore the timer beeping at the end of each minute as an option for those who like that.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only 20 models does seem like a step backwards.

Bill
Old 06-15-2007, 12:59 PM
Mac_Man_UK

All I can do is send feedback over to Japan.... hopefully they will take it on board. What I thought might be useful is that if they are going with an USB interface (assumed!) then perhaps they could use cheap USB storage devices......

Anyway, lets see what they say...

(Message sent ! )
Old 06-15-2007, 01:21 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: BillS

Bill
Hard for me to understand that comment.
I've been at this for many, many years and I've never begun to need five much less over twenty.

Oh well, to each his own.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 PM
tadawson

While a PC link for backup would be nice, myself, I tend to resist things with connectors when run in dirty environments - like RC flying fields . . . using a memory stick/pack/card/etc. is just asking for a dirty contact, that gets flaky over time. Just put more memory in the doggone thing (it's cheaper than dirt these days) and be done with it, and leave the connectorized memory to the PC and video game kiddies . . . .

- Tim

ORIGINAL: Mac_Man_UK

All I can do is send feedback over to Japan.... hopefully they will take it on board. What I thought might be useful is that if they are going with an USB interface (assumed!) then perhaps they could use cheap USB storage devices......

Anyway, lets see what they say...

(Message sent ! )
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM
BillS

ORIGINAL: onewasp

ORIGINAL: BillS

Bill
Hard for me to understand that comment.
I've been at this for many, many years and I've never begun to need five much less over twenty.

Oh well, to each his own.
It is not real complicated. I have 41 slots and 16 are used and five other airplanes are complete and ready and waiting on receivers or 2.4 technology. In addition another radio that should be retired has three slots occupied.

Bill
Old 06-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Mavpro

I HOPE that they are adding the "Virtual ring" for the cyclic stick, like Futaba offers? I have installed a fixed ring on my 10X Heli TX. No problem when using two radios, but I will not consider the 12X combo radio if I have to make a ring that I have to remove when flying airplanes, and then re-insert for heliflying.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Well chaps, just had an email back stating that due to the number of requests fed back to them from Horizon etc etc, they are making changes to the programming. The main one being the number of model memories available !!

So.......... if it appears later than promised by HH, DO NOT blame them !!

Don't know about the virtual cyclic ring.. but would doubt that they would incorporate that.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Mavpro

Are they not making the radio SW upgrade-able for later eventually upgrades? I think it's a clever way to do like Futaba does with their 12 Z /14 MZ. This is what most people expect today. One can upgrade everything from cellphones to cameras, so why not the Top-Line JR? BTW; yesterday I took my first glance at the Futaba 12 Z, and found it not suitable for my way of holding the radio (i put my "ringfingers" between the two corner switches) - not possible on the 12 Z. Now I have a 14 MZ at home, and it suits, but I'm not sure that I really like the programming method, having to use a stylus to touch the screen + the fact that I would prefer not to have Bill Gates inside my TX... I only want my helis or 3D-planes hanging up there - NOT the radio....

Why would you doubt that they would add the "Cyclic Ring"? It's really the smartest feature I've ever seen on a combo radio...
Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Mac_Man_UK

I can but ask........ lets see what they say !

As Arnie used to say............. I'll be back !
Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
kbodeau
My Feedback: (5)

So, no 2048 or something better than 1024? I have been flying JR for 15 years and currently have an 8 yr old 10X that has worked flawlessly. But if they are sticking with 1024 resolution I'll be buying a Futaba!!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Mac_Man_UK

IS there a REAL need for 2048 or is it just perception ? Reason I ask is that I am not a flier so I don't know neither can I offer an opinion....
Old 06-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Mavpro

ORIGINAL: kbodeau

So, no 2048 or something better than 1024? I have been flying JR for 15 years and currently have an 8 yr old 10X that has worked flawlessly. But if they are sticking with 1024 resolution I'll be buying a Futaba!!
I have been flying Max Computer 6, 347, 388, 3810, 10 Sx, 9X, MX 22, and now two 10 X'es. They all performing flawlessly. I tried to understand the menus in the Fut. 14 MZ for two hours, but I will have to start opening the manual to be able to do simple programming. I just "did" a complete C-ARF Rookie set-up on my 10 X two hours ago. I used eight minutes from start to finish. The only remaining is some fine tuning of the rates. Yes, I love the JR way of programming. Also the grip is very nice. I closed my eyes, and "felt" the 14 MZ compared to the 10X changing forth and back serveral times, and I honestly have to say the 10X fells better in my hands. Also, the side levers on the Fut are too loose, and the pot's and total feel fo the Fut is "cheaper" in my opinion. I further see no need for 2048, even on my E-CCPM Caliber chopper. The swash is as smooth as I could ever want it to be.

So, I just hope that JR adds in the "virtual cyclic ring", making me fell 100% confident choosing thatone for the years to come. Until then I'll fly my 10's happily.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Mavpro

ORIGINAL: Mac_Man_UK

I can but ask........ lets see what they say !

As Arnie used to say............. I'll be back !
Thanks, Man :-) I'm crossing my fingers :-)
Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 PM
seattle_helo

Tony, I would also agree that having the software/firmware as a user updateable function would be ideal, and maybe even mandatory. As Mavpro stated, it is a common function nowadays to update software in many devices and I would love to have that ability in the 12X. The main logic, of course, being that with time JR can continue to refine and add features as requested. It would be awesome. Please find out if that would be a possibility in your next reply to the JR folks in Japan.

nick
Old 06-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main purpose of a software updateable radios is to fix the bugs. Unfortunately, the Bill Gates philosophy of leaving the bugs in and adding new features is common. It is also difficult to convince the Japanese that there is a bug. If there were a bug, one of the Team flyers in Japan would have surely already found it. Updating the s/w with new features is nice - but that is where the bugs are most likely to appear.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Mavpro

ORIGINAL: Four Stroker

The main purpose of a software updateable radios is to fix the bugs. Unfortunately, the Bill Gates philosophy of leaving the bugs in and adding new features is common. It is also difficult to convince the Japanese that there is a bug. If there were a bug, one of the Team flyers in Japan would have surely already found it. Updating the s/w with new features is nice - but that is where the bugs are most likely to appear.
No doubt about that, but it's not the complete truth. What would the world look like if we were to buy a new computer every time there was new programs available for us to take in use?? The "Virtual Cyclic Ring" is the smartest update I've seen lately. And this feature came across a smart programmers mind just a few months after the Fut 12 Z was on the marked... Too bad, if one had to wait two more years before the next TX was available. I remember a few years ago, when JR announced that we could send in our PCM 10 SX'es for the II-upgrade. I almost did, but I had a phone call to one JR-service centre to ask if they now had enabled the possibility to deploy flaperons sloooowly during landing procedure, while they still would work at normal speed as ailerons... Would be a nice feature, wouldn't it? Would help a great deal to hinder "baloon" tendency on my F-16 during landing approach. Anyway, the operator came back to the phone after a few minutes with the negative answer... BUT he promised it to be there on the next version of JR's top-end TX...
Old 06-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Mac_Man_UK

I hate to say it but the main people that JR will listen to are those who buy the most !! In this case its Horizon... if HH want, then usually HH get (or the teddy gets thrown out of the pram.. ). Us little guys can ask and if its a suggestion that would/could benefit everyone then it might be considered.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:27 PM
seattle_helo

Tony, who should we be asking? Danny?

As far as having the ability to update the software, all I can say is it would be an absoluetly huge ommision to lack that feature. Any software driven device as complex as a top end RC transmitter needs the ability to be updated. Bugs are a fact of software life, but that does not mean we should not be able to do updates. Tony, this one is certainly worth passing along to the folks in Japan.

nick
Old 06-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Hi Nick,

Probably best to email Product Support at Horizon / leave a post for Danny as he will be in the feedback chain. As you probably are aware, the 9303/9XII Firmware can be updated but its a PITA. A special cable has to be used and needs to be connected to various points on the CPU pcb in order to reload it.

But as I said, as they are going the "connect to PC" route, it would be a relatively simple matter (I would have thought) to have this functionality embedded.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:55 PM
xcellheli

Mac_Man_UK,
I fly Futaba, but am not a JR hater. In fact I use many JR servos in my planes. There is a noticable difference when using 2048 resolution over 1024. This is most noticable on 3D and IMAC aircraft. Often these planes have linkages set up for larger deflections so they can fly 3D. Many also use the same plane for precision flying which requires using only about 20% of the deflection setup for the 3D flying. If you take the full 3D deflection and break it into 1024 steps, then during the precision flying one is using only about 200 steps. When moving these large surfaces you can see the steps during the movement. If the same plane is setup with a 2048 receiver then the precision movement will contain about 400 steps. This results in a more precise movement. I have personally tested the difference on a plane by switching between a 1024 receiver and a 2048 receiver. There is a more fluid feel in the air and the digital servos sound smoother on the ground. On a helicopeter where all 1024 steps move a swashplate about 15mm, the differences in the steps would be negligable and most likely not felt.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:34 PM
seattle_helo

Okay, very good, Tony. Yes, with the "connect to PC" functionality that bodes well for end user updates and certainly makes it possible.

I would like to say a big thanks for helping to keep all of us in the loop and more aware of what is happening at JR, Tony. We need this kind of info and discussion and I'm grateful you're around!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Mac_Man_UK

xcellheli, thanks for that info.. Interesting facts which I wasnt really aware of.

I can only come to the defence of JR Propo by saying that their main market is Heli orientated (Hence JR Heli) and that extra bit resolution wouldnt really make much difference for Heli's.

I'll feed it back to them for comment, mentioning specifically fixed wing styles.

Nick,

my pleasure mate, it is only be sharing information that you the pilot gets what he/she wants. Initially HH were not going to release the 12X in 72 MHz (according to my information) but it seems that there has been such a demand for it that they have relented and decided to bring it in on 72. Plus, because of people being aware of its model memory limitations, they have spoken to HH and they have driven the requirement for more model memories back to JR Propo.

I had problems similar to this when I was in the Military, if a piece of test equipment was being phased out due to its age, the replacement's specs would be distributed to all users of the older equipment so that we (who used it on a daily basis) could see what the shortcomings/pitfalls and, on the odd occasion, the advantages would be. If we saw the document in time, then we could submit feedback to the design authority. I was glad to see it work when I got a phonecall from the Design Authority asking me to clarify a request I made. Was even happier to see it in the flesh when we got the new kits, exactly what I and my colleagues wanted.

It is we that are spending our hard earned cash and for that I feel that we should have some feedback to the manufacturers !

[8D]

Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 AM
BillS

Many also use the same plane for precision flying which requires using only about 20% of the deflection setup for the 3D flying.
Your servos are probably more powerful than necessary and it probably does not matter in your application but I have noticed that small travel say 20% effectively reduces the power of the servo. I bought an airplane from someone else and the flaps were set at 25% and had almost no holding power. Changing the servo arms and flap horns and linkage to use 100% travel with the same flap movement made the servo holding power acceptable.

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.