Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

major servo twitch HELP!

Old 03-03-2003, 05:39 AM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major servo twitch HELP!

What I have is a Hangar 9 Yellow Ultra stick 60. Brand new JR 537 servos (wing extentions on servos) new reciever, and an Expert 5 cell battery 2700mh . I know that is kinda high but I thought that would rid this plane of the twitch. I had a different new reciever in it and it done the same thing. Out in the field it does it VERY badly. I get it home and i caint get it to repeat itself. With or without the antenna extended and even if I walk a ways from it. I am trying to duplicate all that I can remember for you all so someone might be able to help. I had this same problem on my Ultra stick 120 but I used cirrus servos and out of the 7 brand new ones that I bought 5 were bad. I tried everything and replaced them with JR 527's and wallah on it. Back to my yellow one, Could I have all bad servos again? Or should I just send those servos into Horizon and have them check them out? Both ailerons twitch, the flaps both twitch and they are on separate channels, and the elevator twitches. The rudder and throttle seem to be the only ones that dont. Any help will be appreciated. I also thought that the switch might be it but as I stated before it didnt do it at home. I am a beginer at this airplane stuff.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:54 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Just a thought. The servos in my Magic twitch on a freshly charged battery. It only lasts for a short time (usually done by the time I'm finished range checking). I've also heard that people put regulators on when they run 6 volts.

Does it twitch on a slightly drained battery?

Mike
Old 03-03-2003, 05:59 AM
crashland 73

i aint sure on the drained battery thing. i want to say yes but who knows. when it wouldnt do it at home i was confused
Old 03-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Mettler1

If you have a "Y" connector on the ailerons that could cause the twitching. Had this happen once so I went from a "Y" connector to a Futaba male to double female connector. It shortened the length of my wires and got rid of the twitching.

Your "Y" connector and servo wires may be about the same length as your receiver antenna. That's like having a second antenna on your receiver. Hence, twitching.

Try to shorten your ailerons wires somehow and try it again. Possibly with a different connectors. Anyway, try different combinations and see what happens.

Someone else on this forum may have some good ideas.
Old 03-03-2003, 04:54 PM
crashland 73

I never thought of trying that, that sounds like a good idea. I will try it and see. I still want input on all that could help though. thanks
Old 03-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Metler1, where did you get the idea that servo leads the same length as the antenna will cause problems, totally not true. In fact, if you increase all the ground wires, reception will slightly improve.
AR15 TMax, long leads, especially if there is a less than perfect set of connections involved, will cause problems. This is because of the IR drop in the ground wire. Any IR drop there subtracts from the amplitude of the signal. Some receivers have an internal regulator that limits the voltage the receiver sees even if you up the supply voltage. If this also is the positive rail for the signal output, the signal out to the receiver is a lower percentage of the voltage at the servo rails. On some servos, the signal must be at least 50% as large as the applied voltage in order for it to recognize the pulse width of the signal. Does your servos always work when you power it with a 4 cell battery, if so this might be the cause. If so, either use a 4 cell battery or put an amplifier (buffer) between the servo signal and servo.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:03 PM
crashland 73

Rodney,
Well, it does the same wether I have a 4 cell or 5. You may be right about the linkage though. I didnt have enough money to buy extentions and i soldered some servo wire to make a linkage. that may be the problem. I have thought about sending the servos in to have new ends put on them and then buy the right extentions, then that might work. What do you think?