RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

power box problem

Old 06-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Ragz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default power box problem

I have a strange situation with a powerbox evolution and a futaba 149dp rx. This is installed in a 100cc extra 300 with 6 8611's and 2-3 analog servos. The batteries are twin 1500ma kokam packs. I am not getting range beyond 30 steps with the TX antenna fully closed (collapsed). If someone touches the RX antenna, the signal recovers. I have changed the rx, the powerbox, the extensions and even the servos. Same result. If I remove the powerbox and run the setup directly through the rx with a nicd pack the range is perfect. The only obvious thing I have NOT changed is the battery. I do not have a new li-po pack spare so I tired with a 5cell nicd...on the powerbox..same result....reduced range....what the heck is going on with my setup??? I am perpplexed...I am sure its something really small that I am missing...and I cant put my finger on it.

I am running 6 digi servos and a few analog servos...do I really need a powerbox?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: power box problem

The only thing I've seen is that you need to make sure you plug a least one servo directly into the reciever. Usually the throtle servo.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Ragz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ofcourse, I have the throttle, besides others directly into the reciever. Only the ail, rudder, elevator are via the powerbox. The rest are direct.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Please disconnect the power box and range-check the airborne system in your model with a regular 4-cell NiCd battery pack plugged into the receiver and operating several servos. That will let you know if the difficulty is in the receiver, or in the receiver/powerbox combination. It could also be in the routing of the receiver antenna and the other associated wiring. If all else fails, remove the receiver from the model and mount it on a non-metallic stand so that you can perform a good range check of the 'bare' system. If it range checks OK there, then it's OK, and you'll have to take a very hard look at how your equipment is all installed. Routing of the antenna, the servo wires, pushrod wires, power wires, and so on, can all make a significant difference in how the airborne system performs.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Ragz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bill,
I have checked the rx alone with all the servo and it performs perfectly. The problem is when the powerbox is introduced into the circuit. I cannot understand how a power amp is affecting (rather reducing) signal strength. With the powerbox in the circuit, one has to only touch the antenna, and signal is strong again. If I let the rx hang out of the fuse the signal is slightly better. My fuse is balsa and there is no carbon in it. The only carbon is the main and tail LG and the rx is far away from both these items. Another metallic part is the SWB rudder tray with floating bell cranks. I dont think that would be causing any interference?????????? I will take another real hard look at the system again.