RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

any really "failsafe" ways to fight interference?

Old 06-15-2007, 02:27 PM
mikemcnair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default any really "failsafe" ways to fight interference?

heelo all,

i am running into a severe interference issue with my RC18T. here is the deal; i have a propulse t100(RC18T to the layperson) and i am running an MAMBA 8000kv brushless with a 3 cell 11.1v lipo. i am using the stock "propulse" Tx and Rx. which is a 27 mhz FM system.

when the car is near me, and running, it starts to hiccup and spudder(withing, say, 15') and the further i go away from me(and thus the Tx) the better it is. now, when it gets close, if i put the antenna down on the Tx, it is WAY better but still not perfect.

i am sure this is interferance from the Tx to the ESC/Rx, but how can i combat this? the chassis on the car does not allow for much room inbetween the ESC and Rx. is there anything i can "wrap" the Rx in to help prevent this? i am fearful of wrapping the ECS as it gets might hot(all Mamba's do from what i hear) so that's a no go. here is a pics from different angles of the space that i am working with.

oh, and i have made sure all of my wires are twisted, and none of them cross(where possible).

Old 06-15-2007, 02:48 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: any really "failsafe" ways to fight interference?

Switch to a 2.4gig radio. Dennis
Old 06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is most probably due to a poor reciever design, poor AGC in the receiver. It is most likely not interferance, just overloading the front end of the receiver. It could be a fault of this specific receiver or could be the design of that particular model of the receiver. If you have a buddy or someone with the same frequency receiver, see if your transmitter works okay with their equipment and/or does their transmitter work okay with your receiver. That should prove where the trouble really lies.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:22 PM
mikemcnair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thank you all for the excellent ideas!! i appreciate the fast response. after further review of my current setup, and the one pictured above, i realized the only variable was the antenna.

i actually went to a standard style antenna mast, as opposed to the one pictured above. while my battery is charging, i decided to make a very similiar setup. since the car ran well before, and that is basically the only delta i could find, i am gonna give it a try before spending any more money.

i will post up my findings shortly.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:59 AM
mikemcnair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, the antenna was certainly not the issue. i tried it, and i was a no go. same issues persisted.

however, i went to the LHS today, and picked up a Spectrum DX 3.0. while i haven't run the car yet (it is charging) in breif trials inside the house, IT IS A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the car seems totally fine, even while it is on the tablr in front of me and the remote is sitting next to it!!!! so i think that may have solved the issue!!!

thank you again for the assistance!! i will report back once i run the car a bit.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:29 PM
mikemcnair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, i was in good shape, then it went nuts again. here is a post i put in the Mamba thread.........

i am having a weird issue. here is my setup.......

mamba 25 ESC
mamba 8000 kv motor
thunderpower 3s lipo (11.1v, 1320 mah)
Spectrum DX 3.0 rx/tx

i just got the car running after some interferance issues (thanks to the specturm, i am now able to drive) and i had it out for ~ 10 minutes. the car was perfect!!!!

then, out of nowhere, the car started going in reverse, and would not accept input from the Tx. it finally got stuck in tall grass, so i was able to pick it up, and sure enough, the little red light on the ESC was in red/reverse mode, and the car kept going. i turned the switch off, and it still kept going. so i had to unplug the battery to get it to stop (which is no small feat with an 8000kv motor going at full tilt)

i unhooked everything, and re connected it. BAM, totally fine..........for about 30 seconds, and then the same thing: reverse at full speed, and ZERO input from the Tx.

any ideas? my guess would be that my ESC is fried, but it is weird that it works fine then gets messed up.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:47 AM
mikemcnair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok, i tried to run it again, and sure enough, after a few minutes of perfect opperation, it goes berzerk. it goes in reverse, full tilt.

i am really upset. if anyone has any ideas, all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 AM
mikemcnair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i am going to bump this.....

i had an idea, tell me if i am crazy......

ok, the car runs really well for a few minutes and then goes nuts. we have that part down, and i can repeat the results consistantly. due to the time in volved, i am wondering if that may have something to do with heat on the ESC? like, as it warms up, it gets crazy.

does that make any sense? is it even a possibility???
Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 AM
mikemcnair

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i got 30 minutes on the phone with Bernie W. at castle creations, and i gotta say, those guys are top notch!!!!!!!

he is thinking that the servo is causing issues, it may be overloading the BEC (battery cutoff thing for the Rx) and is guessing that using an external battery for the Rx will remedy the issue. if that doesn't work, i am going to get the castle link, and try to update my firmware on the ESC.

then, if that doesn't do it, we will send it in for examination. i will try this asap when i get home tonight, and report my findings.