Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Freq. Shift

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
RJConnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freq. Shift

Am i correct in saying that JR and Airtronics transmitters use positive (to the high side) frequency shift and Futaba and Hitec use negative (to the low side) frequency shift? I have a whole drawer full of Airtronics Rx's and am considering getting a JR 9303 Tx.
I want to make sure they are compatible. Thanks, RJ
Old 07-18-2007, 12:38 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Freq. Shift

Whether or not it will work I cant say but yes, JR and Airtronics are positive shift, Futaba and Hitec negative shift, in North America anyhow.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM
pilotpete2

They should work just fine, unless they are PCM receivers, they never are compatible between brands.
Pete
Old 07-18-2007, 05:19 PM
RJConnet

Thanks Pete and Barracuda, I just needed a little confirmation before I go and blow a wad of money. I appreciate your comments
[8D][8D].........RJ
Old 07-18-2007, 06:57 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I would take the recevers over to the store and try it first
Old 07-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RJConnet
Thanks Pete and Barracuda, I just needed a little confirmation before I go and blow a wad of money. I appreciate your comments
[8D][8D].........RJ
If I was going to blow off a wad of money I would actually do it on receivers of the SAME BRAND as the transmitter. Buying receivers of another brand, will likely cause problems.

People that buy receivers and transmitters of different brands are looking to SAVE money not blowing it off.

Rafael
Old 07-19-2007, 03:35 PM
pilotpete2

Rafael,I don't think you read his post fully, he isn't buying new receivers, he's considering a new transmitter, the JR 9303[8D], sadly Airtronics hasn't stayed competitive in aircraft radios so a new transmitter in the class of the JR 9303 is not available from them. As far as dual conversion receivers go Airtronics are among the best, so his game plan makes a lot of sense, I agree he should test before buying the new transmitter and each receiver should be range checked with the new transmitter before flying.
Hey I fly on 72Mhz and have 4 of the older non-Z Airtronics receivers and I fly them with a Futaba 9Cs[X(], it
can be done[8D] and range test on all is as good as with my old Airtronics Infinity 660, now retired to simulator duty[&o].
There is no rational reason not to use compatible PPM receivers with a different brand of transmitter as long as they range check.
Pete
Old 07-19-2007, 04:30 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The suggestion goes the other way around too.

Sorry, I did not pick up on the "own RX going to buy TX deal".

Personally, I would sell the excess off brand RXs and get new brand specific ones. But that's just me.

Yes, sad that airtronics hasn't been able to keep up. My very first TX was an airtronics. I thought it was very good at the time (1989).

Rafael
Old 07-19-2007, 04:54 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airtronics cannot keep up??? What can a 9C , or a 9303 do, besides 1 extra channel, that cannot be done with a Stylus and and an Aero card?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:41 PM
tadawson

In the US, on 72MHz, Airtronics and JR are natively positive (IIRC, the later Airtronics stuff is also selectable shift on the TX), and compatible, Futaba and Hitec are negative, and compatible, and Multiplex is selectable, and will talk to either. On 50MHz, EVERYBODY is positive, and all work fine. In non-US markets, EVERYBODY is also positive, and will work fine. It's only US/72MHz where PPM has an issue. PCM, as others said, is not a standard like PPM, and currently will not cross between any two brands.

Since PPM IS a standard, mixing brands where compatible should be a complete and total non-issue . . . . The Mfgs tell you otherewise simply because they a) Don't test across brands, and thus cannot warrantee those configs and b) They want to encourage brand "lock in" to increase sales . . . so if a little B/S about compatibility by brand X scares you into buying more brand X, they like that . . .

- Tim
Old 07-19-2007, 06:55 PM
pilotpete2

Well, I don't see the Stylus being listed on Airtronics website, so I suspect they are not in production anymore. NSP has the Stylus for $429 add in $119 for each card you may need, and we're talking a TX only. It's a killer radio for the advanced sailplane crowd, but for bang for the buck, the 9 ch JR and Futabas are solid performers, sure my 9Cs isn't built like the Stylus, but then I didn't pay anywhere near the price.
As far as mixing brands of otherwise totally compatible radios, that has as much meaning as the label stuck on the back of a radio that states " To insure top performance, ONLY replace tubes with GENUINE Philco replacement tubes"
Pete
Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TLH101

Airtronics cannot keep up??? What can a 9C , or a 9303 do, besides 1 extra channel, that cannot be done with a Stylus and and an Aero card?
You're right. I especially enjoy all of their new 2.4 GHz releases. And their 14 channel radio is fantastic. Oh wait, they don't have anything. Never mind.