Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

what could have happened to my ailerons?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:19 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what could have happened to my ailerons?

I was flying today and luckily while going upwards, I noticed that I had no control over either one of my ailerons. It took me two big circles to line the plane up with the runway using only rudder and elevator. Once i realized that neither was working I figured the plane was going to die a splintery death but I didn't give up on it and was able to land it safely. Once I realized i was able to control the plane with rudder and elevator only it wasn't as difficult as i thought it would be, the real problem was the gusting wind and landing with it. It wasn't a pretty landing but it's back in one piece.

When I walked to the plane I moved my aileron stick left/right and still there was no movement from either one but everything else worked. I then shut the battery switch off and brought it back the pitts. I talked to a couple of people for several minutes and went back to the plane and turned the switch on and they they worked again like normal. I did nothing to change anything between turning the switch off and then turning it on again besides bringing to the pitts.

I'm using all digital servos with a JR 700 RX and a JR 6102 TX, it seems odd that two servos on different channels(I use ch.2 and ch.5 for the 2 servos on the RX)
would both stop working and then work again after power off/on.

The RX has been in a crash before so I'm thinking it has something to do with it but since I've never heard of something like this happening, I'm open to different theories.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: what could have happened to my ailerons?

You have an intremittant problem that I suspect you will have a hard time finding. You can send the radio back with your explaination and maybe you will get lucky. I would be tempted to buy a new radio. The servos are probably OK
How are your batteries? Low voltage can do strange things. After it sits for awhile the voltage comes up. Maybe thats why they started working again.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:50 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

On a JR 8103 I saw something similar to this, reprogram the airplane again and the program you have it saved in right now needs to be marked as UNUSABLE, then see if that fixes the problem.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:50 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a low battery to me. As stated above, after it sets for a while the battery recharges just enough to make them work. Ailerons are usually most non-air load on a servo, so they were the first to stop working.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 AM
tukkus

OK... I found the problem, it was the battery. I charged it the day before I went flying and it took a 90% charge of the capacity so I figured i would be safe but I didn't plan on the battery just dying like that. The battery was a JR 2150 pack and it's only a year old. A friend at the field has a meter that shows the voltage under load and the battery was completely dead.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 AM
rcairflr

I figured that you would have checked your batteries before coming on RCU.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:04 PM
rcairflr

Well, there goes my faith....
Old 07-08-2007, 04:21 PM
tukkus

He didn't have the meter yesterday so we couldn't check it. I brought the pack to the field today and we checked it under a load.

I hope that will at least restore half of your faith
Old 07-11-2007, 12:11 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Now my children go in peace and FAITH no more !!!
Old 07-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: tukkus

He didn't have the meter yesterday so we couldn't check it. I brought the pack to the field today and we checked it under a load.

I hope that will at least restore half of your faith
Are you trying to say that nobody at your club had a voltimeter while at the field? Remind me that If I fly at your club I need to keep a count on everybody's flights for that day.... As soon as either one of you reach a certain number, Its either time to leave or duck under a table.

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR BATTERIES BEFORE EACH FLIGHT!!!

Rafael