RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 Possible Concern

Old 06-21-2007, 06:56 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DX7 Possible Concern

I was installing one of my DX7 receivers into a new plane last night and needed to unplug the remote receiver from the main receiver. Like everyone else, I tugged gently on the wires and the plug came out. But then I saw a possible problem.

If you pull on the wires, it pulls the insulation back from the tiny pins on the plug that goes into the main receiver. This exposes a small amount of bare wire that could short at an inopportune moment , drop the input voltage below operating level and "re-boot" the receiver.

Maybe this is what causes some of the problems some of the DX7 users are experiencing.

The fix? I pushed the insulation back over the exposed wires as far as I could and then put a dab of silicone sealer on the whole plug to act as a strain relief.

I also vowed not to pull on that wire to disconnect the plug.

(How long is that gonna last, eh?)
Old 06-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DX7 Possible Concern

Given enough care, your silicone fix should last indefinitely. Good idea.

Unfortunately however, the "re-boot" issue will probably also last indefinitely.

> Jim
Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What issue on the "re-boot"? Good batteries that are sized to the planes and no issue. Dennis
Old 06-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gotta have some excuse for crashing Dennis. Sheeech !
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 AM
DadsToysBG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't need one. Got my hands to get in the way. Thought about my feet, (saw a guy that flew with his feet in a wheel chair) but nobody at the field will let me tale off my socks. Dennis
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

gas power?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:58 AM
DadsToysBG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

smelly power
Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
BillS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Unfortunately however, the "re-boot" issue will probably also last indefinitely.
Apparently many happy campers don't want to hear about anything remotely resembling product improvement. Spectrum's success should be in everyone's best interest. Without a redesign around the reboot issue the company's success is problematic. Early design issues are usually easily overcome if promptly addressed. If early problems are left to fester they easily become insurmountable. We'll see.

When Q with Horizon's help has problems "Learn about batteries is not the answer."

Bill
Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 AM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well Bill - You see the reboot as an issue -
to be frank - NO ONE I know who uses em thinks it is an issue (lots n lots of em)
How about your DX setup?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
DadsToysBG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How can using poor batteries or not maintaining your batteries become an issue that Spektrum has to fix? I cycle my stuff. I make sure to battery size fits my needs in each plane. I fast charge when needed. I check my batteries. I have two new ones on a slow charge and cycle right now. If you mess up don't look to Spektrum to hold your hand, I don't. Dennis
Old 06-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Eric.Henderson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dick,
I read and examine the posts on these subjects very carefully. Sometimes I see genuine concern, confusion and even a caring attitude where people share their experiences for the benefit of others.

Sometimes I see the spreading of FUD, thinly disguised as the above. (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). Even in the FUD there is infomation worth harvesting.

What I have found out at the local fields is that club pilots just want to know the right way to do things with 2.4.

It all boils down to keeping your batteries charged up. Don't use last weeks electricty, it may have expired. I see very poor field practices where pilots "shoot up" their packs with 30 minutes on a fast field charge and go flying. Nicads are still Nicads and they have not changed their behavior much in the last 30 years. The later NiMH brood is a bit better with charge retention but basic battery management is still required.

The problem is that if it is not done the owners need something to blame other than themselves. I'm glad I don't make a product these days....

Regards,

Eric.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
onewasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BillS

Apparently many happy campers don't want to hear about anything remotely resembling product improvement. Spectrum's success should be in everyone's best interest. Without a redesign around the reboot issue the company's success is problematic. Early design issues are usually easily overcome if promptly addressed. If early problems are left to fester they easily become insurmountable. We'll see.

When Q with Horizon's help has problems "Learn about batteries is not the answer."

Bill
Operational requirements do not equate to product design as much as to the nature of their chosen beast.
The pilots (full scale) who complained about jet characteristics and did not adapt to the new operational procedures required ended up dead or discharged. (yeah, I was there for that one)

The "Dilbert" posters tried to deal with this in a humorous way ----- some 'got it' some argued that it wasn't like the prop jobs they were used to flying and they are the ones who settled short!

Same thing here. If you don't get the difference between operational procedures (product characteristics) required then stay where you are -----'cause things change.
That is why so many of us report absolutely no problem-------comprende'?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Amen brother .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82432.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	708574  
Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 AM
aresti1963

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have used a DX7 for some time now. Its under a fair bit of load, using digital servos (6) throughout. I use 6v packs for rx power supply. I dont buy cheap rx packs, I spend a couple of £'s more for good quality packs that are able to hold their voltage under a sustained high load and, ARE fast chargeable ( not just " yeah, I fast charged them and they were ok", but stated as fast chargeable by the manufacturer). I use an onboard battery checker, which I check before and after every flight. I fast charge my packs every 2 to 3 flights in the pits, and slow charge/ cycle them at home, monitoring what goes back in and what comes out. This tells me well in advance if an rx pack is going off the boil. I also use high quality switch harnesses. I am considering using two rx packs as a redundancy feature. Again, this measure could stop me losing a plane due to switch or pack failure. The added weight is negligible.

I dont do this because I use a DX7, I've ALWAYS done this, with ALL of my planes.

If you put cheap stuff under load, at sometime it will fail. Do it properly and you will save money by spending money .

Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Putting non electrical grade silicone on the wires is not the best ides as the acetic acid fumes released during the cure cycle have the potential to cause corrosion of the wire and pins.

A dab of "Goo" type formulation material will do the job without the worry of acetic acid fumes.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Putting non electrical grade silicone on the wires is not the best idea as the acetic acid fumes released during the cure cycle have the potential to cause corrosion of the wire and pins.

A dab of "Goo" type formulation material will do the job without the worry of acetic acid fumes.