RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba transmitter charging jack protection bypass

Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba transmitter charging jack protection bypass

I have a Futaba (actually several) transmitters that I would like to use my peak charger to charge. Unfortunately, these all have a diode installed between the charge jack and the battery, so the peak chargers will not charge the packs unless I remove them from the transmitter and charge them directly. Several of them are difficult to reconnect to the TX, so I would like to utilize the built in charge jack to peak charge them. I have bypassed the diode with a soldered on jumper on my 3PM and it now charges fine via the built in jack. It seems to be working great, but I was wondering what risks I run in doing this. I already peak charge my batteries directly with my carger outside of the TX, so I'm not worried about protecting the batteries, what I am worried about is whether or not I could somehow damage the TX circuitry by charging via the charge jack while the diode is bypassed. I haven't had any problems yet, and seeing as how the on/off switch isolates the charge side of the circuit from the rest of the board (or so I think), I don't think it will be a problem. I am just posting to get some opinions from other (hopefully more informed than myself), before I mod the rest of my transmitters in the same way. Thank you for any feedback.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 AM
alan0899

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba transmitter charging jack protection bypass

G'day Mate,
You peak detect charger should work OK, only Reflex chargers won't work because of the diode, but check out this site anyway,
http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...ge=diode_sheet
Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Excellent. Thank you very much.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:21 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Both Hobby Services and Radio South can install a poly switch. It acts like a fuse instead of a diode but will close again when it cools off of a short occurs. Its what the higher end radios like the 9C use, and it does NOT void the warranty. Its the best option rather than bypassing the diode.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Flylow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use a small Y harness (two male/one female plug). Open the case. Unplug the battery. Plug the harness into the transmitter where the battery plugged in before. Plug the battery into the Y harness (I put a Parsons safety clip on this). Put the case back together and pull the third male Y harness connector out beside the battery. Now you can use the peak chargers by only removing the battery cover on your transmitter. I did this on two Futaba 6EXA transmitters and it works fine.