Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Which Aircraft Module System is Better, Spektrum or Xtremelink

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Spektrum DSM2 Modules And Receivers
44.16%
Xtreme Power Systems Xtremelink Modules And Receivers
55.84%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Which Aircraft Module System is Better, Spektrum or Xtremelink

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Aircraft Module System is Better, Spektrum or Xtremelink

Actually, I did some tests with both. If you dump the receiver in the DX-7 by shutting it off or cutting power, it does take a few seconds to reboot and bind. The Xtreme takes less than a second from what I can tell. Bob
Old 06-26-2007, 05:39 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes -
In case no one ever noticed - PCM also would lock for a second or so and Futaba had a start up wait of a couple of seconds
The recurring comments of incorrect voltage numbers and long reset info on Spektrum stuff --is really wearisome
Old 06-26-2007, 06:50 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Yes -
In case no one ever noticed - PCM also would lock for a second or so and Futaba had a start up wait of a couple of seconds
The recurring comments of incorrect voltage numbers and long reset info on Spektrum stuff --is really wearisome
Amen!

Particularly when you consider the thousands in use-------simply the nay-sayers and those trying to pile on-------. You often see the same names in other threads doing likewise.

Takes all kinds------------------unfortunately----
Old 06-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Ok, .. I own Xtremelink and I studied long and hard making my decision. Whether true or not, there are many people reporting "seconds" long reboot and binding process with DSM2. I asked XPS this very question specifically and they told me the XPS receiver resets at a lower voltage than the competiton and the process takes "nanoseconds" to complete. Can't remember the specific number, but I know they said nanoseconds, making it impossible to tell if it even occurred without a data logger.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:58 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I have both. The DX7 and the EXT module in a JR10. I like the DX7 best. Keeping everything 2 inches away from the receiver ant is not the easiest. When you put the wings on and have the aileron wires in the way. With the 7 I have the ignition battery wires and aileron leads in contact with the ant. Also with the EXT it is cumbersome with the ant stcking out the back. It can only stand upright. Also range checking is a pain copared to the 7. I don't take my batteries down that low. I have 200 flights on a four cell with no problems. They both have a good rf link. The 7 got my vote.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

Our system reboots at 3.2 volts, and the reconnect time is 90ms... that is less than 1/10th of a second. You basically lose 4 frames of data.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I did not do any real testing but it seemed to me my "boot time" with my DMS2 and JR servo's is LESS than with PCM an Hitec servo's.

This is not a flame to hitec servo's In fact I am slowly moving toward them. I am just pointing out that this boot time is less than people are making it out to be. Yes, if you lost link at the wrong time for any reason even 90 milliseconds is going to seem like forever.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

Well The question refers to "Converting" his JR radio.That tells me that He is looking at the "module based" system,NOT the DX7 transmitter.Since Spektrum hasn't shipped any modules yet,Nobody has used both to give a truly fair comparison.
But,since the Extreme link is the ONLY option currently available for converting your present radio. It has to be given the green light as the best option available.At least,until someone else gets there produst to market.And anyone will be hard pressed to beat the performance of the Extreme system,at anything near the Price.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:57 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

KB9. I think you are behind the times. I have been using the module for the DSM2 for about two months.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:38 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I've had all my big planes on Spektrum for quite some time in my 10X. I can't say which is better, but my system has proved to work and when the 9303 comes out next month I'll switch radio's. Dennis
Old 06-28-2007, 09:19 AM
00airman

Both systems seem good with great reliability, still havent made up my mind yet but x link is looking good. I dont have any park fliers or foamies, never even had an electric powered model, all my planes are .40 size up. So one thing i really like about x link is being able to program channels together on the receiver for dual elevator ailerons and such, no channel lag as you get with pcm and fm, does anyone know if a converted radio on 2,4 transmitts all channels at the same time unlike a mhz radio that sends out the signal one at a time so if you have 2, 3 or 4 channels mixed together through your radio the servos dont move in unison? when ive tried to program 4 aileron servos together(2 on each wing) they dont move together and causes binding, 2 were fine but the other wing was way out of unison, so i ended up using y harnesses .
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know if a converted radio on 2,4 transmitts all channels at the same time unlike a mhz radio that sends out the signal one at a time so if you have 2, 3 or 4 channels mixed together through your radio the servos dont move in unison?
Good question.

Bill
Old 06-28-2007, 06:13 PM
KB9STD

Aparently I am behind.I have been casualy watching the "Horizon Hobby" website,and I've not yet seen the modules listed as "In-Stock".Currently they are "Backordered,and "Due early July". I haven't watched that closely(I'm not a JR fan) andI haven't seen anyone at my club using one.I do have the Extreme system,and use it with both Hitec and Futaba transmitters(Not a single Hiccup,yet!).
I suppose it's only fair to point out that XPS is currently "Sold Out" of the Futaba/Hitec module.I don't know how many they have sold,But it will be interesting to see how long they take to get them back "In Stock".
Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 PM
Gordito Volador

ORIGINAL: B58

Actually, I did some tests with both. If you dump the receiver in the DX-7 by shutting it off or cutting power, it does take a few seconds to reboot and bind. The Xtreme takes less than a second from what I can tell. Bob
Less than 2 seconds for me on the DX7 and AR6000 to regain full control. However with ten AR6000's, four 7000's, and one 9000 I have never had an inflight failure. I'm now using the Spektrum module in my 9303 for the DSM2 Rx's. The DX7 is commanding the AR6000's.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

I do not have a DX-7 so I refrain from voting. I do have two airplanes setup with the Extreme system using my 8UA (I love my 8UA, mainly because I can set it up for mode 3, I'm a hardcore lefty!) plus the ease of installation, about 10 minutes to swap it out from 72, the great connectivity, range, etc. No "jiggle dance" when many transmitters are on the flightline, and the potential that is built into the system. To the complainers that bring up the 2" proximity to the receiver antenna I say this is a non-issue. I bundle my wires and just keep them a fair distance just as I do on 72. 2.4Gig is a giant step forward for RC, You pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Phil Heller
Old 07-03-2007, 06:33 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: KB9STD

Aparently I am behind.I have been casualy watching the "Horizon Hobby" website,and I've not yet seen the modules listed as "In-Stock".Currently they are "Backordered,and "Due early July". I haven't watched that closely(I'm not a JR fan) andI haven't seen anyone at my club using one.I do have the Extreme system,and use it with both Hitec and Futaba transmitters(Not a single Hiccup,yet!).
I suppose it's only fair to point out that XPS is currently "Sold Out" of the Futaba/Hitec module.I don't know how many they have sold,But it will be interesting to see how long they take to get them back "In Stock".
Ah-- basing how good the system may/maynot be based on watching web sites?
Having used / owned the Futaba radios /JR radios (no Hi Tech or Airtronics ) but building the World Engine radios and the Ace systems - -I found that first hand info is lot more informative than watching sales numbers or cost of system etc..
If you take th most expensive system on th market today and then look at the results in crashes - (At least in our neck of the woods) you see VERY disturbing correlation------------
Old 07-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Parkerm
My Feedback: (6)

[quote]ORIGINAL: rhd-RCU

Keeping everything 2 inches away from the receiver ant is not the easiest.

I was very meticulous with my retro-fit but could find no way to keep my Xtreme receiver 2 inches away from all metal & or conductors. Ended up with the receiver facing forward with the antenna toward the engine and the aileron wires running up to the wing saddle along both sides of the receiver. (So much for having to mount it in a specific orientation) I locked the wiring down so it couldn't move with a foam plug. It works fine, to the limit of visibility.

I suppose there could be a problem, but I haven't seen one yet in three flights.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM
00airman

Well im going for the xtremelink, mostly because of this poll, cost, and i like the receiver programing ability, the only thing that worries me is spektrum and futaba found multiple antennas necessary while xlink uses a little stub for its receiver antenna, hopefully it doesnt turn out to be insufficient like they found there module antenna to be. Anyone think this could be a problem?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Foamaholic

No problem for me. I've been flying Xtremelink since April in 5 planes with no problems. I fly my Cularis sailplane very high. The only thing to watch for is the placement of the receiver so that the signal isn't blocked by something like a big engine.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

No problem for me. I've been flying Xtremelink since April in 5 planes with no problems.
Same here---I'm even using the original "Toledo" module antenna version (still available by request)---
Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
KB9STD

"Ah-- basing how good the system may/maynot be based on watching web sites?
Having used / owned the Futaba radios /JR radios (no Hi Tech or Airtronics ) but building the World Engine radios and the Ace systems - -I found that first hand info is lot more informative than watching sales numbers or cost of system etc.. "

Point well put,and well taken Dick.However,You took my comment out of context.I have been "watching the website" to see when the modules are actualy available for purchase. Nothing more,as the website won't tell me how many have been sold/or returned for that matter.
Oh,I still haven't seen the modules available for purchase.Only "Backordered",just like the day they were oficialy announced.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

"Ah-- basing how good the system may/maynot be based on watching web sites?
Having used / owned the Futaba radios /JR radios (no Hi Tech or Airtronics ) but building the World Engine radios and the Ace systems - -I found that first hand info is lot more informative than watching sales numbers or cost of system etc.. "

Point well put,and well taken Dick.However,You took my comment out of context.I have been "watching the website" to see when the modules are actualy available for purchase. Nothing more,as the website won't tell me how many have been sold/or returned for that matter.
Oh,I still haven't seen the modules available for purchase.Only "Backordered",just like the day they were oficialy announced.
I'm not sure I understand this last sentence. XPR has sold 1000's of modules and receivers.In fact they can't keep up with the demand. I find it an exceptionally fine product and am converting most of my fleet to it!

Phil
Old 07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Parkerm

I didn't order my XPS JR combo until the middle of June. Got it in five days. Been flying without a single glitch every chance I get. I will be converting everything in my fleet as soon as end pin receivers are available. I check the website everyday and the Xtremelink thread on RC groups as well http://www.rcgroups.com/xtreme-power-systems-483/
looking for problems or complaints about the system. There have been some, but so far it looks as if the problems have been resolved to the customers satisfaction. Unfortunate that they can't keep up with demand, but that will change someday.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

What type of plane are you flying it in ?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Parkerm

ORIGINAL: Josey Wales

What type of plane are you flying it in ?
1/4 Scale, Sig Spacewalker II w/ Saito 182 power and onboard glow. Changed receivers from 72 to XPS because of glitches. I had a hard time with the ( 2 inch rule) to keep all metal parts 2 inches away from the receiver. I ended up placing the receiver @ former 2 with the stub antenna pointed forward. I ran the aileron servo wires up beside the receiver and out over the top of a foam plug that locks all the wiring and keeps it from moving. There is wire all over the place and the antenna points directly into the back of the engine (about 4 inches away). But Jim Drew said the 2 inch rule applies when the wire can move or, flop around inside the airplane in one of the threads @ RCGroups.

So far it has performed rock solid with no problems of any kind. I look forward to converting all planes my stable to 2.4. Our field is known for intermittent glitches that seldom, but sometimes do bring down planes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.