Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

4.8v battery to 6v battery, do I need regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 02:28 PM
Handyandy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8v battery to 6v battery, do I need regulator?

Hi
I just installed a six volt battery in my aircraft because I needed a little more tail weight. Someone said to prevent the servors from jittering I should install a regulator. I normally use a 4.8 battery. Where do I find such a regulator if I need one? Thanks for your help.

Handyandy
Old 03-06-2003, 06:26 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Handy, for aircraft use without gyros you do not need a regulator; howeve,r they are nice to have regardless. do a search here for lots of details on them.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:01 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

forget the regulator. I am running 3 - 6 volt systems with no regulator and they all work fine. as allways just do a good range check before you fly
Old 03-06-2003, 08:09 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Regulators are not required, but some still use them. You can prevent the servos from jittering if you let the surface charge dissipate after charging. I let mine sit for about 5-10 minutes after charge, and I never see the jitters at all. Whether or not you see the jitters at all depends on the overall installation, batteries, charger, etc. Some planes never have them even right off charge.

The only downside to using a regulator, or anything else for that matter between the battery and the receiver, is that you increase your failure rate. Although, if you are using redundant batteries and put in dual regulators, then you actually increase your overall reliability, since you added redundancy to offset the drop in reliability.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:15 AM
Lynx

If you pick an 'over qualified' regulator you don't have to worry about any drop in reliability really, or if you really want, buy two regulators and hook them up in parrallel, it'll increase the possible current regulation and add redundancy.