Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Throttle arming switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM
Bad_Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle arming switch

I just finished reading Dave Gee's "Safety Comes First" column in the June 2007 issue of Model Aviation, where he talks about the need for electric-motor modelers to install an arming switch on their models. That's a great point, but I think it doesn't go far enough, and it gave me an idea. Let me explain;
I fly with a neckstrap attached to my transmitter. Now, as everybody knows, you should always turn the transmitter ON first and turn the receiver OFF first. There have been a couple times when, after turning on the transmitter and reaching for the switch on my receiver, the transmitter has brushed against my arm or my chest and turned the throttle up! It also happened once after a flight, as I was reaching to turn the receiver off. Trust me, the start up before a flight (with a fresh battery) was a LOT more exciting than the one after the flight, but I think you see my point.
I believe the best possible solution would be to install an arming switch on the throttle channel of the transmitter. It would need to disarm the control stick input (not channel 3 of the transmitted signal) such that it kept the throttle "off" until it was armed, and also giving the flyer the ability to disarm the throttle after a flight would be a boon to flight-line safety too.
So, how can this be done? It would be a real service if someone would print out some instructions of how to do this, and then incorporate that little safety feature into every transmitter they make in the future.
After all, what good is the warranty on the radio system if you don't have enough remaining fingers to use the control sticks?
So, can you help? I have a 9CAPS, a 6XA and a couple 4NL radios, and would really appreciate anything you could tell me. [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Bad_Daddy

Default RE: Throttle arming switch

ORIGINAL: Bad_Daddy (MOVED from Futaba Radios Direct support forum)

. . . . and then incorporate that little safety feature into every transmitter they make in the future.
After all, what good is the warranty on the radio system if you don't have enough remaining fingers to use the control sticks?
So, can you help? I have a 9CAPS, a 6XA and a couple 4NL radios, and would really appreciate anything you could tell me. [sm=72_72.gif]
Well, I guess Futaba doesn't want to take up the banner. Anybody?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:17 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bad_Daddy

I just finished reading Dave Gee's "Safety Comes First" column in the June 2007 issue of Model Aviation, where he talks about the need for electric-motor modelers to install an arming switch on their models. That's a great point, but I think it doesn't go far enough, and it gave me an idea. Let me explain;
I fly with a neckstrap attached to my transmitter. Now, as everybody knows, you should always turn the transmitter ON first and turn the receiver OFF first. There have been a couple times when, after turning on the transmitter and reaching for the switch on my receiver, the transmitter has brushed against my arm or my chest and turned the throttle up! It also happened once after a flight, as I was reaching to turn the receiver off. Trust me, the start up before a flight (with a fresh battery) was a LOT more exciting than the one after the flight, but I think you see my point.
I believe the best possible solution would be to install an arming switch on the throttle channel of the transmitter. It would need to disarm the control stick input (not channel 3 of the transmitted signal) such that it kept the throttle "off" until it was armed, and also giving the flyer the ability to disarm the throttle after a flight would be a boon to flight-line safety too.
So, how can this be done? It would be a real service if someone would print out some instructions of how to do this, and then incorporate that little safety feature into every transmitter they make in the future.
I believe the 9C radios have a feature called 'Throttle Cut' which will do exactly what you are talking about. With that switch activated, the throttle will not advance. I used it on my 9Z and now on my 14MZ. I can't speak to all the other Futaba radios but I do agree it is a very useful setup option.

Woodie
Old 06-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Bad_Daddy

It is my understanding that the Throttle Cut acts like a person had used the trim adjustments to reduce throttle until the engine dies. According to the 9C manual: ". . .provides an easy way to kill an engine by flipping a switch. The movement is largest at idle and disappears at high throttle. . . . "
In other words, it does NOT disable the throttle control at all, it just resets the trim exponentially to a much lower setting.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:30 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hitec Eclipse has that as well. Only the throttle cut and the throttle lock buttons are independant. Can test all your controls through the Tx except for throttle when activated.

Seems to me when testing airplanes for friends with 9c that indeed it does lock the throttle when activated Possibly a double click of the cut button but not sure.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM
jdb000001

You can always program a switch to cut the throttle - I've programmed the throttle cut switch on an 8U to actually cut the throttle at any position. Futaba usually has the throttle cut act to lower the bottom trim on the throttle, while not affecting the upper throttle at all.

Most of the current speed controllers have an arming circuit - you would actually want the throttle above the cut position when turned on, since the controllers will only arm after the throttle is lowered to the bottom for a short amount of time.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While a throttle disable, cut, or whatever on the transmitter is all well good, what happens in the case of a RX failure, interference, someone turning on a TX on your channel, etc? I think the arming switch on the business end of things would be safer.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Bad_Daddy

I wasn't implying there should not be a switch on the model.
I just think there should be a throttle disarm switch on EVERY transmitter, even if it's not the top-of-the-line, computerized, fully-programmable with flash-drive and memory modules model. And I was asking for some help to install one on my transmitters.

So, is there t anybody with circuit diagnosis capabilities here, not just opinions?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:43 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

You could just use a mix to do what you want. On a 9303 you could do this, go to mix 3, leave the THRO -> THRO mix as is, set the POS 0 to -100%, Leave POS 1 at 0%, set the offset to -174, then choose either the Aileron DR, gear, Rudder DR or the Mix switch to be the active switch (you do this by highlighting it and changing its current setting of POS 0 to POS 1). Now when you put the Mix switch to the rear, the throttle stick is inoperative and set for a low stick position below what should cause the motor to start. Of course, now you have to remember to throw that switch. You can also reverse the mix switch so that towards you inhibits the throttle, just leave POS 0 set to 0% and put POS 1 at -100%. You can verify how it works by looking at the monitor screen.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 AM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

While a throttle disable, cut, or whatever on the transmitter is all well good, what happens in the case of a RX failure, interference, someone turning on a TX on your channel, etc? I think the arming switch on the business end of things would be safer.
Me thinks you are missing the point.
The throttle lock is a very valuable safety feature to have set up on your Tx, it gives a greater level of safety for the time period between arming the plane and actuall take off and then for the time between touch down and when you actually get the power disabled in the plane
I use a throttle to throttle mix on my 9C to achieve this, almost any Tx with a spare mix can do it.
Pete
Old 06-27-2007, 11:42 AM
bobferguson

Could you explain how you did it. I have tried but have not got it to work right.

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: fizzwater2

Me thinks you are missing the point.
The throttle lock is a very valuable safety feature to have set up on your Tx, it gives a greater level of safety for the time period between arming the plane and actuall take off and then for the time between touch down and when you actually get the power disabled in the plane
I use a throttle to throttle mix on my 9C to achieve this, almost any Tx with a spare mix can do it.
Pete
Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Bad_Daddy

I wasn't implying there should not be a switch on the model.
I just think there should be a throttle disarm switch on EVERY transmitter, even if it's not the top-of-the-line, computerized, fully-programmable with flash-drive and memory modules model. And I was asking for some help to install one on my transmitters.

So, is there t anybody with circuit diagnosis capabilities here, not just opinions?
Why not just use a #64 rubber band to hold the throttle closed? When you're ready to fly slip the band off the throttle.
John
Old 06-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Bad_Daddy

Y'know John, that's a simplistic approach, but it isn't really a bad idea, and it's definitely out of the box!
I guess I could attach a hook on the backside of the radio for the rubber band to attach to, or possibly a loop of Velcro, since there isn't anything sticking out below the throttle lever on my radio to hook the rubber band on.
I need to think on this approach some more.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:42 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Big Daddy,
It's a lot easier than putting a switch in series with the throttle pot which is what you'll be stuck doing on non-programmable radios. You would have to open the wire going to the center of the throttle pot and then connect it to the low end of the throttle pot using a SPDT switch. This would work unless you had digital trims and then your back to having the engine idle instead of shutting off. This says nothing about voiding your warranty or that if you connect to the high end of the pot by mistake it will go to full throttle instead of an idle.

All together a rubber band is a lot more fool proof and it doesn't void your warranty.
John
Old 06-29-2007, 08:02 PM
pilotpete2

Hi Bob,
Here's how to set up a throttle lock, the terms here are for Futaba
Create mix of throttle to throttle, down rate -100%, up rate -100% (that's the up and down stick, moving the stick up/down moves the highlight on the screen. Next set the offset value to 0%, that is set by moving stepping the highlight/cursor down to the rate line, then move the stick to the position you want, in this case full down, then press and hold the dialNkey wheel down for 1 sec. (try finding that move in the manual)
I hope this helps, I've also done it on Airtronics, but I have no JR radios. I believe the August issue of R/C Report will have a write up on the procedure.
One other detail, when I test a mix out to make sure it's working right, I plug in a servo and observe the closed throttle position and whether it locks in the closed throttle position, a bit less exciting than trying it on an ready to go E-powered plane[X(].
Let me know how you make out.
Pete