Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec 605 servos

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 09:44 PM
john316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec 605 servos

How do the Hitec 605s hold up in 1/4 scale aerobatic installations?I've got 5 of them in a GP Giles 202(11 1/2 lbs) with 73 inch span. Your thoughts on durability/reliability, centering and gear train durability. Mine have the nylon gears.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:49 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Hitec 605 servos

They'd probably work fine depending upon how you set up your throws, links, and how you fly, etc. I wouldn't use them for 3D or aggressive flying in that size of plane. The won't center real great, but some pilots don't notice or care. Only way to see if the centering is an issue for you is to use them. I'm not a big Hitec fan, but if you are looking for an inexpensive Hitec servo for 1/4 scale, look at the Hitec 56XX digital series. I think you'll like those a lot better than the 605's.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hitec 605 servos

Excellent advice .
Old 03-07-2003, 01:50 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default Hitec 605 servos

It makes more of a difference on what hardware and the care you take in installing the hardware properly.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:27 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hitec 605 servos

I've had Hitec 605BBervos. I can only speak from personal experience.

Mine sucked. They wouldn't center properly. And I'm not talking about a few microns here; I'm talking about 1/4" or more. Mine were installed on a Sig Cap 231 EX 25%.

I sent them to Hitec twice and they were supposedly fixed. But when I got them back from the service department-- they were worse than before. I almost crashed that plane twice, because of the servos.

To their credit-- Hitec did make it right. I'm very happy with their customer service policies.

In general-- stay away from any 600 series Hitec servos -- if you like your plane. The 605-625-615-645 are all really bad at centering.

The 500 series servos are very good. The 545 and 525 are an excellent servo. They are a bit low on torque for a 1/4 scale aerobat-- IMO-- but guys use them all the time with great success.

Also the 900 series servos are coreless and an excellent servo. The 945 and 925 are great-- they have plenty of torque and holding power-- and they center great.

Digitals-- well-- you know. Top of the line-- but I can't afford them.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:09 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default Hitec 605 servos

You might want to check out the new HS-5475HB digital sport servo. They are about the same price of the 605BB.

Here's the info: http://www.hitecrcd.com/Servos/hs5475.htm

Mike.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec 605 servos

I've seen the GP Giles set up with an OS 160 and 605's. It flew great. It wasn't set up for 3D rates but it seemed to track very well and maneuver crisply. I'd say that if you have the 605's then go for it.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:28 PM
john316

Default Hitec 605 servos

Rcpilet, did Hitec finally find the problem with your 605s and if so, what did they find was causing the problem? Is the centering problem being caused by excessive deadband, potentiometer problems or is this a mechanical problem i.e. excessive gear slop.
One thing I have to wonder about is some of these guys who put a nylon gear 605 in a 1/4 scale aerobat, add a 2 1/2" servo output arm so they can get mega throws for 3D, thrash the heck out of them and then wonder why they won't center. So far I have about 30 flights on my Giles with no discernible wear but I don't do 3D with mine and my throw are reasonable. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:20 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hitec 605 servos

Hitec and myself worked out a deal and I wound up with some other servos. It cost me a few bucks-- but I'm happy.

According to the Hitec service department-- my servos had bad potentiometers. They were replaced, but the problem was still there.

As for linkages; I was using the standard red plastic horn that comes with the servos. I had Rocket City control horns with 4-40 linkages and ball links on both the servo and control horns. ABSOLUTELY ZERO SLOP with this setup. My control rods and ball links were about as bulletproof as you can get for a 25% plane. But I still had centering problems.

I still use Hitec servos. They are a WHOLE lot cheaper than JR servos, and most of the time-- for the same torque-- a Hitec is much faster than a JR. I'm leaning towards the 945 for most of my planes that are 25% or 30%. If I had bigger planes-- I'd have to go to digitals-- but I can't afford those planes and I can't transport them either.

Also, the benefit of a Hitec servo VS a JR is the JR requires a Matchbox to match servos on control surfaces. Matchboxes are AT LEAST $50 apiece. And you'll need one or two for EACH plane. With the Hitec servo-- you just get the digitals--which are still cheaper than JR servos with lesser torque ratings. Then buy the little servo programmer that Hitec sells for about $150. That programmer will work on EVERY Hitec digital that you'll ever buy. You only need one programmer.

With the JR servos-- you'll need to buy matchboxes for each control surface with multiple servos. And you will need matchboxes for every plane. At $50 a wack-- it adds up quick.

How's that for a Hitec commercial?

Mike-- can I have some free servos now???? Just kidding.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:44 AM
john316

Default Hitec 605 servos

Sounds like Hitec was good to you! I'll stick with the 605s for now, they seem to be working fine so far. Aileron and elevator servos are still very tight after about 30 or so flights but the rudder servo is developing a bit of play in the gear train(backlash). That big rudder may be a bit much for the 605 although somebody on the RC Airport forum is flying these same servos on an Hangar 9 33% Sukhoi and claims they're holding up great. Time will tell.

John W.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:48 AM
Mike Rojas
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hitec 605 servos

The Hitec's top digital is only about $20.00 cheaper than the JR's.Worth it in my opinion to go JR,I do have several Hitec 5945's,But mostly JR 8411's,I perfer the JR's.BTW how many TOC pilots used Hitec servos this year?As for the original ?,I find the resin geartrain in the 605's pretty weak,the MG's seem to hold up pretty good.
Mike
Old 03-08-2003, 02:26 AM
funfly33

Default Hitec 605 servos

How are the Hitec 77's
Old 03-08-2003, 02:39 AM
john316

Default Hitec 605 servos

Well I was real happy with the performance of my 605s till I started reading this forum. Seems like everyone has an opinion about Hitecs, some good, some bad. I'm starting to wonder if I smell a quality control issue here. I don't seem to see near so many posts about JR and Futaba servo problems. I guess I'll just keep flying mine and make up my own mind.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:00 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Hitec 605 servos

John: I can't speak for the Hitec 6XX's because I don't know, but nylon gear servos (JR4721) are being using in giant scale (35% and up) 3D ships on ailerons without the problems you mention.

The etire 6XX line has poor centering resolution and low precision compared to higher end servos. This is not my opinion... just ask Mike M. This doesn't mean the 6XX's are bad or broke... it is just they way they are. They are an inexpensive mainstream servo intended for general sport and they serve that purpose well. However, if you are not pleased with the low precision of the 6XX, the only solution is to switch to different servos.

Cheers
Old 03-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default Hitec 605 servos

I will agree that the 605's do not center as well as the Futaba 9202. WHat I did to get around it was to move my high rate to low throws at 120% of my end point. Now the poor centering doesn't show up in normal flying.