Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Throttle cut off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Gstan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cut off.

I just set the end points for my throttle, very nice feature with the 7c. Now I’m trying to set the throttle cut off and can’t seem to get it. I get to the right mode, turn it on, set it for B switch down and then set the rate but nothing happens. The rate will go from 0-40 and I tried with the switch up or down but nothing. Should the throttle move when you are turning the curser wheel like the end point mode? Mine does not. And when I get out of the mode nothing happens either.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle cut off.

This is with the engine running, Set the idle end point to shut off the engine, Give it a couple clicks more for grins. Now start the engine again and adjust the trim (not sub trim) so that with the stick all the way down, you are idling where you want it to idle. Now when you thit the kill switch, it will drop to the full off possition

Don
Old 07-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Gstan

ORIGINAL: Campgems

This is with the engine running, Set the idle end point to shut off the engine, Give it a couple clicks more for grins. Now start the engine again and adjust the trim (not sub trim) so that with the stick all the way down, you are idling where you want it to idle. Now when you thit the kill switch, it will drop to the full off possition

Don
I’ll try this tomorrow but that is not what the manual says. It says in the throttle cut off mode to turn the dial until the carb barrel closes by moving the rate. Mine won’t do this.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Campgems

The rate is the % drop from idle. If the throttle servo is already at it's end point, it will not move any further so you need to make sure that the idle setting is above the end point so when you hit the switch, it can close further.

You won't believe how long it took be to understand this. At one point, I was thinking of carrying a towell to the flight line so I could throw it at the engine to stop it.

A word of caution on the kill switch if you are hooked up to a buddy box. My instructor crashed my plane after I had landed and taxied it back to the launch point. I told him to hit the kill switch so he let up on the buddy toggle and his throttle was set to full. The engine barked to life and the kill switch had no effect. Before he could chop the power, the plane was into the barries and the wing was snapped off. This was just before I soloed, so I never addressed changing the programing to prevent this from happening. There was a mix trick you could do so that the kill switch killed the engine no mater what the throttle setting was. The towel would have come in handy there.

Don

Old 07-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Gstan

Thanks, I’ll try it.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:26 AM
BillS

Carburetors also have a mechanical stop. If the carburetor is against the mechanical stop the servo cannot move the barrel.

Bill
Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

be sure the feature is not inhibited, INH in the programming
Old 07-05-2007, 04:08 PM
jdb000001

Another thing to check - the throttle cutoff and throttle trim will only work at one end of the throttle stick travel. Make sure the throttle trim is working at the low end of the throttle, and not the high end. (If this is the case, see the manual for the throttle reverse function, NOT the throttle servo reverse).
The throttle cutoff will only work when the stick is all the way at the bottom end of its travel also, and its effect will get progressively less as you advance the throttle, with no effect at all near full throttle.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Gstan

ORIGINAL: mscic-RCU

be sure the feature is not inhibited, INH in the programming

Wow, wait a minute. I thought I saw “off” and “INH” in the programming mode. I assumed INH was to turn it on. I’m heading out the door but I will check this later.
I did re-set my end point so the carb was closed and then trim the throttle up so I know my end point is ok and there is no barrel stop preventing anything from closing.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Gstan

Ok, I give up. I checked the throttle reverse and it’s normal and the trim works at the low end of the throttle. And I checked again in the program mode. There is “off” and “inh” so “inh” can’t mean inhibited.
Any other ideas to get the cut off to work?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Campgems

"Inh" means that the function is disabled. "Of"f means the switch is in the off position. With display showing "off", flip the switch and the dislplay will change to "on". You can also assign the switch you want to use, so make sure you are using the correct switch. You can assign the up position of the switch to "on" or "off" also, at least on my 9C.

Don
Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Bass1

What Campgems said.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Gstan

Got it to work. Thanks.