RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

GOING ABSOLUTELY APESH*T HERE! HELP!!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:41 PM
NebulaDDS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GOING ABSOLUTELY APESH*T HERE! HELP!!!!

I have a Futaba 9CHPS transmitter. In it I an FP-TP-FM module (capable of transmitting in FM and PCM). I am using channel 47.

None of the settings on my transmitted have been altered until now (i.e. none of the exponential, trim, endpoint, etc. etc.).

I also know that the transmitter works with PCM receivers, as I have two helis with which it has been used.

Today I purchased from my local hobby shop an 8-channel receiver: Futaba R168DF. It will be used with an airplane.

I took a channel 47 crystal from one of my other models and inserted it into this receiver.

I made sure, using the instruction manual as a guide, that my transmitter was transmitting on FM (PPM), not PCM.

I plugged two servos into the receiver--one in channel 1, the other in channel 4.

I straightened-out the antenna.

I then plugged a battery into the receiver (the batter, a 4-cell charged to about 5.1V).

I turned off then turned on my transmitter.

The servos wiggled around for a few seconds, then nothing..... no response to my inputs. Every time I turned off and turned on the transmitter, this would happen.

Out of curiosity, I turned my radio back to PCM to see if it'd work. This time, the servos continued to wiggle until I turned the transmitter off. When I turned it back on, they'd do it again.

So, what the hell is going on here? Did I purchase a defective receiver?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:14 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GOING ABSOLUTELY APESH*T HERE! HELP!!!!

Did you use a dual conversion Futaba crystal?
Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GOING ABSOLUTELY APESH*T HERE! HELP!!!!

Did you power cycle your Tx after changing it from PCM to PPM? Futaba Tx's must be power cycled for the new modulation to take effect...