Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

buy used and rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:59 AM
flomofo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buy used and rebuild?

Put some bids on ebay for some nice servos for my revo but they are used was wondering if you could buy a nice used servo and buy one of those rebuild kits and have a new servo again.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:54 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: buy used and rebuild?

Rebuild kits consist of new gears. If you install a new gearset in an old servo the answer is no it will not be a new servo agine. New gearsets will have no effect on a variety of other ailments such as dirty and intermitant feedback pots or corroded plugs and on cheap servos worn out bushed top cases. That requires an new case top.

On cheap servos installing new gear sets is not all that ecomnomical, with expensive types then possibly may be worth it but at any rate it will never be like new.

John
Old 07-08-2007, 11:56 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could put new gear sets in and new bearings. But the pots would be a different story. Unless you could get them and do a good solder job you may or may not have to send them in. Would probably be around 25 bucks to change out a pot at one of the radio repair places.

Now not knowing the history of the servos. Is totally a different matter. How old are they? How many flights or runs in a car? Crashes? Has some hack taken them apart?

Dennis
Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
tkilwein

I would not buy a unknown used servo for my stuff.
One crash and a intermitant solder joint or cracked surface mounted component that works most of the time and fails as you are a few feet of the deck and it goes in with splendor. I have seen this happen to a guy at the field, he saved ~$40 and it took out over $600
in one single crash. When I started out I bought used and it took out my GMP Legend heli, to the tune of over 300.

I can honestly say, I have not bought a used servo in over 23+ years and only had one that was DOA out of the box with over 80+ servos. Electronics is one thing I do not skimp on.
Just my own opinion.

edit spelling
Old 07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
flomofo

thx for the responses i ended not winning any them hank god just got taken over by the chance of getting a 100+ and 150+ servo for 30 or 40 bucks the winning bids were in the 50's and 60's way too hi for any used servo I'd like to try out.

This ad2 I just won comes with these servos so I'm thinking I should just stick with these while i get started in racing? Heres the ebay number let me know if you think the price was fair or good as well. I think the kit new is 250 or 350.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1703&rd=1&rd=1

Item number: 110144801703