Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Futaba vs. JR vs. Hitec vs. Multiplex Which do you use?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba vs. JR vs. Hitec vs. Multiplex Which do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 12:50 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polls

Unfortunately, polls only show the number of radios sold or used but not the quality.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Futaba vs. JR vs. Hitec vs. Multiplex Which do you use?

Polls (post # 51)

Unfortunately, polls only show the number of radios sold or used but not the quality.

YES
Old 05-26-2002, 01:27 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Polls

Originally posted by aerografixs
Witness the billions of McDonalds "Big Muck" testicleburgers that are sold. The most disgusting, lowest quality things can still be the biggest sellers.

Harry
Old 05-26-2002, 04:05 PM
flmgrip

i love big mac's... but i fly JR...
Old 05-26-2002, 06:28 PM
Eam201

It never fails sombody needs to sling snot! Too bad better does not make better pilots. Which radio spends less time being repaired? I've seen lots of old radios still working. Again your all spitting crap
Old 05-26-2002, 06:32 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by Eam201
It never fails sombody needs to sling snot! Too bad better does not make better pilots. Which radio spends less time being repaired? I've seen lots of old radios still working. Again your all spitting crap
Being a Multiplex dealer/Importer, I can tell you there aren't many radio repairs, and as for servos, very rarely do you have problems with them.
Old 05-26-2002, 06:41 PM
Eam201

Originally posted by aerografixs

, I can tell you there aren't many radio repairs, and as for servos, very rarely do you have problems with them.
\

My point with all makes of radios.
Old 05-26-2002, 07:12 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have owned radios by OS (yes, many decades ago OS made radios!), 3 Futabas, 1 Sanwa (Airtronics in the USA), 1 JR, and 1 Multiplex.

I don't think anyone nowadays makes a bad radio. I don't think any of them make a low quality or even mediocre radio. They are all good reliable radios (with the arguable exception of Hitec, who can't sell in the UK as it has such an awful reputation here but that may be out dated since you in the USA seem to be getting on fine with it).

We are debating about degrees of good quality. The point is that volume of sales tells you nothing about relative quality between the makes. The poll tells you which make sells the most, but selling does not have anything to do with relative quality. A brand can be top seller whether it is the relatively highest or relatively lowest quality since there are very few poeple on this planet who use quality as a criteria of choosing what to purchase. Many, many other things make people buy what they buy. Price, advertising, price, advertising, availability, advertising, price, having what others around you have, advertising, avoidance of buyers regret, advertising ,etc etc. VMAR and MDS still sell well, sales figures have nothing to do with quality.

Harry
Old 05-26-2002, 07:43 PM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by HarryC
I have owned radios by OS (yes, many decades ago OS made radios!), 3 Futabas, 1 Sanwa (Airtronics in the USA), 1 JR, and 1 Multiplex.

I don't think anyone nowadays makes a bad radio. I don't think any of them make a low quality or even mediocre radio. They are all good reliable radios (with the arguable exception of Hitec, who can't sell in the UK as it has such an awful reputation here but that may be out dated since you in the USA seem to be getting on fine with it).

We are debating about degrees of good quality. The point is that volume of sales tells you nothing about relative quality between the makes. The poll tells you which make sells the most, but selling does not have anything to do with relative quality. A brand can be top seller whether it is the relatively highest or relatively lowest quality since there are very few poeple on this planet who use quality as a criteria of choosing what to purchase. Many, many other things make people buy what they buy. Price, advertising, price, advertising, availability, advertising, price, having what others around you have, advertising, avoidance of buyers regret, advertising ,etc etc. VMAR and MDS still sell well, sales figures have nothing to do with quality.

Harry
I'll bet if the Top TOC guys would use Multiplex, they wouldn't be able to supply the demand.
Old 05-26-2002, 09:37 PM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet if the Top TOC guys would use Multiplex, they wouldn't be able to supply the demand.
--You may care to know that a TOC pilot uses some Multiplex servos in his plane, but since he is sponsored by another radio company he does not make it public knowledge. It is all about popularity and liking what you have. I see QeQe has switched to JR after years with Futaba. There is even a QeQe special on the 10X. Was he fed up with poor quality or customer service of Futaba? OF COURSE NOT!!! AS I SAID BEFORE -- IT IS ALL ABOUT MARKETING! :stupid:
Old 05-26-2002, 10:04 PM
Forgues Research

Your absolutely right,

I have been approached by a US TOC pilot wanting to use my Fiber Optic extensions, but to give it to him wasn't good enough I would have had to pay dearly, but can't afford that . So CPLR is going to use it. for Free
Old 05-27-2002, 01:30 AM
DESERT RATT

I fly FUTABA, We have about 6 transmitters.. I fly the SUPER 8 and my boy flies the SUPER 6, I also have an AIRTRONICS older non computer 6 channel.
When I looked at my SUPER 8 I also compared with the JR 8101, There were things I liked about both but in all honesty since I already had 3 FUTABA 7 channel receivers FUTABA won out.
I also came close to the HI-TEC PRISM.

If my wife wouldn't have bought me the SUPER 8 for a birthday gift, I'd be highly considering the MULTIPLEX, very light very easy to hold and use, and far easier to clean and keep clean then ANY of the others.

RON in NEVADA
Old 08-20-2006, 01:39 AM
sgtmike74

Default RE: Futaba vs. JR vs. Hitec vs. Multiplex Which do you use?

As of now I'm flying with an Airtronics RD8000. It works great, haven't had one glitch and it gets along well with the Futaba 401 and Servo combo. It didn't cost me an arm and a leg, and it feels good in my hands, nice and lite. I got all of the features I need and then some and I have the channels there for when I decide to get that rev limiter. The menu is very easy to understand, simply scroll across to the channel then down to the feature you want to edit. I think this radio will last me for years to come.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:41 AM
sgtmike74

Did I mention how much I like it?
Old 08-20-2006, 02:38 AM
Balsa Duster

ORIGINAL: sgtmike74

Did I mention how much I like it?
Did I mention how old this post is?

I'm only joking but its bad practice to revive old posts like this.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:57 AM
russzero

Its an old post now i know .. but i started off with mc greggor 2ch & then went to 6ch sanwa excellence .. u know .. the one in the METAL case. But it was only AM !!! i had it serviced buy a great bloke who is an agent for sanwa & have stuck with the sanwa ever since. Our local futaba repair shop closed & moved so im glad i stuck with sanwa. 12yrs ago i changed from a 6ch sanwa conquest to a 660 infinity pcm & liked the black finish as theres no glare in sun .. plus the design was nearly right with the smooth case .. no nooks n crannies to get gummed up so it always looked clean.
Ive just bought a RD6000 sport .. again in black .. but it looks more like all the other controllers that u can buy. For some reason ive just unpacked it today & the menu isnt working !!!! & the shop says its the only one they had !! typical. so only time will tell how i feel about it. O by the way .. the 660 inf is still working fine .. but i fancied the new sanwa that had compatible servo plugs .. unlike the old sanwa that was fussy.
Ive never had any real problems at all apart from a loose wire once on the conquest joystick due to exessive stick twiddling. Id have no quarms about changing to another brand anyway. As long as i could fly.The electronics are much the same anyway. they are probably manufactured by the same factory for the different brands like chocolate bars .. im sure now ive said that ill get shot down. anyhow .. ill remain totally unbiased.
But i would be biased about peoples flying .. thats a different ballgame altogether.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:47 PM
torombolo

I think this is more of a marriage thing. I have owned both Futaba and JR with no complaints on either currently I'm using a 10+ yo Futaba Conquest PCM waiting on my 9C Super. I like both brands. I had only 1 problem with my JR 662, used the fut charger by mistake and messed it up (don’t connect your Tx in the dark[:@]) but Horizon provided me with great service, with Fut I have never sent them my old conquest for service so I can't vouch for their service, but with a 10+ yo Tx and Rx still working perfectly I have no complaints.
It's more of what you like or what predominates at your club than who's the best.
Just my opinion.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

I think that all of them are pretty good. I've had 3 Airtronics sytems, Vanguard, Radiant and VG6000. I also have a Hitec Optic 6 Tx with a synth module and like it very much. I fly gas, electric and sailplanes. My sailplane buddies have been trying to talk me into buying a JR 9103 TX, but I can't justify spending over $400 for it. The radios that I have do everything that I need them to do.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: HarryC

Originally posted by can773
As I said before, multiple world championship and TOC etc etc pilots would not use them if they were not quality products, seems to me that people buy them because they have a reputation of reliable and quality performance. Many, many of those fliers are from Europe, soooo how would you explain that one?
Do keep up can773! Although I have already said it twice now I will say it again for you - I am not saying that Futaba are poor quality, I am saying that you can not infer anything about quality from raw sales figures. Equally you can't infer too much from what TOC pilots use other than, as you rightly said, it is not bad quality. Remember that many of them are sponsored and Mpx doesn't seem too bothered about taking part in that. You could equally point to a European gliding comp where people have paid for their own equipment and see the total and utter dominance of a brand that is not Futaba/JR.

Harry
Hey Harry! Don't forget the TOC and world champion pilots get their radios free or maybe get paid to fly certain brands. What do you think sells radios? Go to any major U.S. contest and see the bombardment of the "Team JR". I get sick of seeing the red shirts.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

I started out with Heathkit, then Kraft for a number of years. Once I got a Stylus I didn't look at much else until the EVO 12 I purchased a year ago. Would not give up the Stylus, one of the best radios I have ever had. Once I get my head wrapped around the Evo, I can see it as the best value.

Jeff