RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How do YOU set-up expo??

Old 07-12-2007, 06:43 AM
shane.barton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How do YOU set-up expo??

I am the proud new owner of a Futaba 9CAPS and was trying to dial in some expo on a few of my planes. I know "how" to get to the expo option, but don't know if I should program more throw with minimal stick deflection and less deflection with more stick, or the other way around. How do you set your expo?? If it makes a difference, I am programming my Avistar and my Dolphin .40. Screen shots would be a great help!

-Shane
Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How do YOU set-up expo??

Shane,

Expo is generally used to "soften" the control deflections around the center area of the stick travel, i.e. more stick movement than control movement around that area. It allows you to fly the model more smoothly in routine maneuvers but retains full control deflection if needed. Sometimes there is a use for the opposite effect in maybe a throttle servo or something.

On Futaba that setting is defined by a minus sign, the same setting on JR's is a plus sign.

Hope that helps...[8D]
Old 07-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shane,

Exponential can be a tremendous assist in making your plane respond smoothly for small inputs or corections while keeping the full deflection of the control available when you move the sticks to their outer limits. I have never used the reverse or high sensitivity at the middle and less at the end of stick travel. I cannot imagine flying my planes today without a good bit of expo on all primary channes except the throttle. So, first try expo with a flat curve in the middle and see how you like it - then talk to someone else about the high sensitivity in the middle because I don't use it nior can I envision using it.

Howard
Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On a Futaba, MINUS Expo will de-sensitize the stick around Center.
POSITIVE Expo will make the stick more sensitive at Center.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I usually start at -25% expo on ailerons, elevator and rudder. You can add more or less depending on the "feel" of the airplane.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:24 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The end result of a servo output (all except the old linear servos) has built in positive expo to begin with, so your controls are already more sensitive at center than at the outside of the stick throw.

Around 22 to 25 percent gives you linear control response, more than that actually makes the center softer than the outside. Some of the 3D guys use 60 percent for hovering and stuff.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 PM
onewasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My comments are similar to the others----------------EXCEPT!!

First fly the plane and determine IF you even want it. I have found that on most of my planes (personal preference) I don't use any. On the current A/C I have 80% on Rudder; 15% on elevator and none on ailerons.

As in 'trimming' the A/C you aren't going to dial in the perfect set up for about fifty flights----at least that is what I find it takes me to get a good solid trim.
As part of this process you can use expo. ---that's it.

One word of caution, exponential isn't the "cure all" some would have you believe and the fact that "Super Pilot 'X' " uses it or doesn't has little to do with your favored set up.
I wouldn't use it unless I found a real need-------but again that is my personal preference not a guide for your set up.