RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

is Futaba missing the boat?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default is Futaba missing the boat?

hey, i for one have a 6EX 2.4Ghz system and it's a fine system, but i have a couple planes where i need more than 6 channels.................Futaba is no where close to getting anything over 6 channels to us for at least 4 more months................seems the solution is to go Spektrum DX7 or better, but once i go that route, i'll never come back to Futaba.
or, what other choice do i have?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 AM
d_wheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: is Futaba missing the boat?

ORIGINAL: summerwind

Futaba is no where close to getting anything over 6 channels to us for at least 4 more months.
I hope it isn't hype, but the 7 channel system is slated for release in early August. 14 channel modules in late August.

I have tried Futaba, Spektrum and Xtreme and had no problems with any of them. However, Xtreme does not have antenna diversity, which I feel is a MUST for 2.4. Spektrum does not hop, it finds 2 frequencies when first turned on and stays there regardless of any interference that might pop up. Futaba uses frequency hopping AND diversity (it has 2 antennas) so I personally feel more secure using it. Also, Spektrum's answer to the 14mz is to limit me to 8 channels. While that is enough for most cases, I didn't buy a 14mz to later be limited in this way. So for me, I will scrape by for now on the lower channel count, less feature radios and sell them when the Futaba module is released.

Later;

D.W.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when you say the 7C is slated for early August, do you mean the 7C modules, or the 7C 2.4Ghz system?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Where I think they missed the boat, is to come out with an awesome "small" 6 channel receiver that will ONLY work with the 6 channel 2.4 transmitter.

It will not work with another transmitter in 2.4 ghz, or another tranmitter with the 2.4ghz module.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM
DKflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do think they have missed the boat. Spektrum/JR has a very good system out that has proven itself for over a year and works very well. I know what you are saying about frequency hopping, it does "seem" like it may be more reliable, but I haven't had a single glitch with spektrum (knocking on wood) in hundreds of flights. I haven't seen one either in hundreds of flights by my freinds. I have read a couple of problems on the forums, but I think they are isolated issues or related to power supply. I think the Spektrum link has proven to be very robust. Also, JR has the upper end covered with the 9303 and 12X comming out soon. I have always flown Futaba in the past, but sold my 14MZ and will likely stick with JR from here on.

I hope that Futaba brings out very nice systems though. More competition is always better, and if it truely turns out to be a better system I'd consider switching back (would have to be significantly better though, as I have a lot invested in Spektrum at this point).
Old 07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
GBR2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone know if the Futaba modules are only going to be offered only for Futaba radios??
Old 07-12-2007, 12:00 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.2.4gigahertz.com/modules/...receivers.html
The R606FS will work with the 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ systems per the Futaba table above. I believe I also heard it will work with the upcoming 7C system but not 100% on that.

The R607FS is the same size and weight as the R606FS and will work with many more TX configurations. I do not know if it will function with the 6EX or not.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, it will work on transmitters far more expensive than the average flyer needs. Why would they make a receiver that is NOT compatible with the 2.4ghz modules for the 72mhz transmitters?

Or, why would they make the receiver not compatable with a future release 7,8, or 9 channel radio.

I primarily fly Futaba stuff, but they don't currently offer a nice small receiver like the new 6 channel for 2.4ghz with a range over 1000 feet. I was hoping to use the small receiver with my current 9c and a 2.4 ghz module, and from what I'm hearing, it won't work.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futabs system has supposedly been in use outside the modeling area for a number of years. I think its frequency hopping bassis seems more robust than what is currently out, but I am sure both would fill my needs.

The companys I see that have missed the boats are the ones, like HITEC/MULTIPLEX that refuse to even let people know what they are working on but expect customers to remain loyal and hold their breath.[:'(]
Old 07-12-2007, 01:59 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: daven

Yes, it will work on transmitters far more expensive than the average flyer needs. Why would they make a receiver that is NOT compatible with the 2.4ghz modules for the 72mhz transmitters?

Or, why would they make the receiver not compatable with a future release 7,8, or 9 channel radio.

I primarily fly Futaba stuff, but they don't currently offer a nice small receiver like the new 6 channel for 2.4ghz with a range over 1000 feet. I was hoping to use the small receiver with my current 9c and a 2.4 ghz module, and from what I'm hearing, it won't work.
http://2.4gigahertz.com/modules/modules-receivers.html
The R607FS which is the same size and weight as the R606FS WILL work with your 9C with a 2.4 module.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is excellent news Bruce, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the currently-known delivery plan for Futaba FASST systems: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6016025/tm.htm

The Futaba modules are for Futaba transmitters only.

The TM-7 FASST transmitter module is for the 7U, 8U, 9C, and 9Z series transmitters. The R607FS receiver will work with the TM-7 transmitter module and has dimensions of 1.6" x 1.1" x 0.35", same as the current R606FS receiver.

The 7C FASST transmitter does not use a module, and is compatible with the R606FS receiver that currently comes with the 6EX FASST transmitter.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:39 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any word on a 9c 2.4GHZ transmitter?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:49 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From what I have read it will be same old 9C with the above modules added. Perhaps there will be a software upgrade though. Not a dedicated 2.4 9C as many hope for. At least it will probably allow you to fly 72 MHz interchangably.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:27 AM
d_wheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when you say the 7C is slated for early August, do you mean the 7C modules, or the 7C 2.4Ghz system?
Modules. Look on Tower Hobbies.

D.W.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 AM
d_wheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: daven

Where I think they missed the boat, is to come out with an awesome "small" 6 channel receiver that will ONLY work with the 6 channel 2.4 transmitter.

It will not work with another transmitter in 2.4 ghz, or another tranmitter with the 2.4ghz module.
According to the [link=http://2.4gigahertz.com/modules/modules-receivers.html]chart[/link] on the Futaba web site, it will also work with the 14mz, 12z and 12fg. That's why I went ahead and bought the 6 channel system. Aside from the limited channels and programming, I am very satisfied with it by the way. No problems at all.

Later;

D.W.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 AM
d_wheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DKflyer

I do think they have missed the boat. Spektrum/JR has a very good system out that has proven itself for over a year and works very well.
I haven't had any trouble either, but we are dealing with only a few systems running on 2.4 at this time. When the flying fields fill up with this frequency the hopping technology will start to show it's benefits.

Later;

D.W.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:01 AM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: d_wheel

Modules. Look on Tower Hobbies.

D.W.
The 7C TX is not a module radio. It will be a dedicated 2.4 GHz radio (or 72 MHz if you buy that version).
Old 07-13-2007, 08:38 AM
chasrb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[link]http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/[/link]

Here is a link to the XPS folks at the bottom of the page is a chart that spells it out pretty well
Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 AM
d_wheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chasrb

[link]http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/[/link]

Here is a link to the XPS folks at the bottom of the page is a chart that spells it out pretty well
What does the chart say that relates to this thread? Not trying to be a smart ass, I simply missed the point.

Later;

D.W.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:08 AM
chasrb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you look in post # 2 he relates the XPS systems not having some funtionality, I posted the link only to display the comparison chart.

No offence taken.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 AM
d_wheel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: chasrb

If you look in post # 2 he relates the XPS systems not having some funtionality, I posted the link only to display the comparison chart.

No offence taken.
Got it. Thanks. What they don't say in the ad, however, is that with some installations you must mount the receiver in a cumbersome location in order to get a reliable link. With Futaba, you still mount the receiver in convenient location and then run the antennas to the best positions for reliable operation. So far no one has found a way to use Xtremelink in carbon fuselages. Futaba antennas can be routed outside of the fuselage if necessary.

Both work fine when mounted correctly, but Futaba (in my opinion) is easier to use.

Later;

D.W.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Futaba antennas can be routed outside of the fuselage if necessary.
Can you point me to a thread or page that explains this extension of the small antennas?
Thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 08:41 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

Futaba antennas can be routed outside of the fuselage if necessary.
Can you point me to a thread or page that explains this extension of the small antennas?
Thanks
Nobody said anything about extending the antennas. You mount the RX near the fuselage shell and make holes in the fuselage. Pass the antenna leads through the holes and secure to outside surface.
Remember that the entire length of "antenna" cable is NOT the antenna, only the last short section which has been stripped of shielding. Have these two short pieces 90 degrees to each other. Positioning of the rest is irrelevant.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:21 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bax

The Futaba modules are for Futaba transmitters only.
Since we know the Futaba FP-TP-xx RF decks are compatible with Hitec and Vice-versa, why is Futaba saying the 2.4 modules are only for Futaba? Is it a CYA thing?

It seems to me you could get part of the Hitec market like Spektrum and XPS is getting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service