Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 6EXAP help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:19 AM
capo915

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 6EXAP help

Im new in here all and would like to know what receiver and or servos to use for a second plane with this radio. Im not too sure how to go about buying any flight packs for this radio. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 07-21-2007, 11:50 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Futaba 6EXAP help

Check your manual to be sure whether the transmitter can be switched between PCM and PPM (possibly just called FM) modulation.

If it is PCM only, you must buy Futaba PCM receivers for it.

If it can be switched to PPM, you can use just about any 'negative shift' receiver.
Hobbico and Tower Hobbies receivers will work (they are manufactured by Futaba). Hitec receivers that are marked as "HIT/FUT" (or something similar) or "select shift" will work. Berg, GWS, and others make receivers that work with Futaba.

If a recceiver is marked 'positive shift' or 'for JR/Airtronics' it will not work with your transmitter.

Whatever brand receiver you buy, get the crystal that is made for it.

Virtually all modern servos work with all modern receivers. Futaba servos have a little tab on the connector that has to be shaved off to fit in some other brand receivers.

I have a Futaba transmitter. Most of my flight packs have come from www.servocity.com and are Hitec components.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes its selectable modulation so any futaba pcm or fm reciever and any hitec (and some others) negative shift reciever, also called Futaba compatable, will work.

If you have a question call any of the retailers like Servo City or Tower that sell flight packs and tell them what you have and what you're looking for.

Generally speaking you need a reciever, a crystal on the same channel you have thats made by the reciever mfg, a battery, switch harness, servos and possibly an aileron extension or two depending on what you're putting it in.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to stay with PCM then you MUST stay with a Futaba RX. They are the only ones that will work and only certain ones will work too. Again, check with your retailer for details.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:54 AM
capo915

Thanks alot guys for the info. Ive usually used a radio for each plane but only have two and was thinking of getting another. Maybe jet prop or equivalent. My radio uses PCM or PPM but is set to PPM as of right now. Can somebody explain the difference and which battery packs do you all prefer given the same scenario. Thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 10:49 AM
carrellh

For me, the difference between PCM & PPM is a 50 dollar each price difference in the receivers. There's a ton of discussion, and argument, over the pros and cons of each in the radios forum. I've never had issues with PPM so I'm not willing to pay the price for PCM.

All of my receiver battery packs are 4.8 volt, 1650 mah, NiMH. They are almost identical size/weight as the 600 mah packs that come with radio systems but have more capacity. I buy them from www.hangtimes.com and www.radicalrc.com

I have a 60 size trainer and 40/60 size sport planes. Each uses 5 'standard ball bearing' servos. My servos are a mixture of Futaba S3004 and Hitec HS-425BB. I probably do not 'need' 1650 mah but I like knowing it's there.

Your needs may be totally different. The guys at hangtimes or radical can make recommendations for just about any combination.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:42 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that PPM is fine until you get up into turbines or feel you MUST have failsafe capabilities. I also like the look of the 2.4 GHz systems coming out so if you are thinking about those, don't over invest in PPM/PCM now. The servos and other flight pack stuff will work with anything. Think ahead and make a choice. For about the price of a PCM RX you can get a 2.4 RX instead.