RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba reciever questions...

Old 07-23-2007, 09:39 PM
metabolicmaggot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba reciever questions...

A guy from the flying field wanted to give me one of his old recievers in case my micro was the cause of my last crash. He left it at the LHS but it turned out he bought me a new one, what a nice guy.

Back to my questions, I have a Futaba Skysport 4 and the reciever I was given is a Futaba R168DF 8-Channel Dual Conversion Reciever. What is Dual conversion? could there be a compatability issue? and which way do the servos plug in?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 AM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba reciever questions...

There should be absolutely no problem using that new receiver with your Skysport transmitter. Dual as opposed to single conversion receivers is simply the receivers internal design, as a rule dual conversion receivers are superior to single conversion receivers in noise rejection and tend to be more expensive.
As far as connecting the servos, the transmitter determines the channel order, in your case with Futaba ch1 is always aileron, ch2 elevator, ch3 throttle and ch4 rudder.
Hope this helps.
Pete
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
metabolicmaggot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks that helps, but I should've been more specific, what I ment by which way to hook up the servos, it doesn't say which way the negative goes and which way the signal goes like it did on my old reciever.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:20 AM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, if your servos aren't Futabas with the tab on the side, but rather the "universal" JR/Hitec/ Airtronics Z type, then look at the new receiver for the little notches in the case for the tab on a futaba plug, the pin next to the notch is the signal pin, so just orient the yellow or white wire to the notch. If you get one wrong no biggie, it just won't work, that is unless you are working with an old style Airtronics system where the wires were arranged with the negative lead in the center and the positive on the end[X(], then things can get very smokey
Pete
Old 01-01-2008, 04:40 AM
sunfm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im about to buy the Electristar EP Select which comes with a Futaba T4EXA tx and a R168DF rx

i also own a very nice Airtronics RD8000 which is nice becuase of its 8 channels and i would like to know if i buy the correct cyrstal and or put the crystal that i already own for the RD8000 into the Futaba reciver will it work ?

i would like to use my RD becuase its a nicer TX and im famililar with it .... just wondering if anybody knows because buying another Airtronics RX is pretty pricey and it would mean id have to switch it from plane to plane.......

any info is appricianted
Old 01-01-2008, 12:26 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes you can use the Futaba receiver with your RD8000, since your RD8000 can be programmed for either positive or negative shift in each model setup, you will not be able to use the Futaba transmitter to control the Airtronics receiver though. You should get the correct dual conversion Futaba crystal for the channel your RD8000 is already on to use the Futaba receiver with your RD8000, mixing crystal brands can be a problem.
With the RD8000 you can use any brand of PPM/FM receiver, and even if the RD8000 didn't have selectable shift, more and more newer third party receivers such as Hitec are auto shift, so compatibility is not an issue.
Have you considered getting the Electristar without the "select" package?
Best of luck and a Happy New Year.
Pete
Old 01-01-2008, 02:48 PM
sunfm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so all i have to do is buy "futaba" crystal to go with my current airtronics one that i have ( # 24 ) and then im good to go ?

and i didnt know there was a "non" select version of the electristar

but if thats just like the plane and nothing else thats not quite what im looking for becuae i would like to have all the stuff it comes with and the Futaba radio looks good and i can use it for other planes

not sure what the non select one is .......
Old 01-01-2008, 05:23 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see that the Electristar is only sold as an RTF "select" package.[]
Since they don't have it on channel 24, just order a Futaba channel 24 dual conversion receiver crystal and switch it with the original receiver crystal, luckily the R168DF is not subject to the Hi/Lo band restrictions of older Futaba receivers, so what channel the unit they send you makes no difference, you'll be good to go.
Good luck,
Pete
P.S. We have a new member in our club that is learning with the Electristar and it flies very nice.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:35 PM
sunfm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yah i didnt think that it came in any other combo deal type thing

and thats what i was planning on doing but wanted to make sure

altough it may end up that i really like the futaba radio and may just use it but i like the RD8000 due to 4 extra channels and the reciver is certanly capable of it ! so yah

thanks

P.S. i didnt want to hijack this thread but i figured better to add onto another post rather then start another one with similar questions
Old 01-02-2008, 01:36 PM
metabolicmaggot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this thread is out of date anyway, I switched to 2.4GHz