Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Spektrum-Love it, no problems
39.88%
Spectrum- It's OK, minor problems
3.97%
Spektrum- Major problems
4.17%
Futaba-Love it, no problems
27.58%
Futaba- It's OK, minor problems
2.38%
Futaba- Major problems
1.59%
XPS-Love it, no problems
15.48%
XPS- It's OK, minor problems
0.99%
XPS- Major problems
3.97%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

2.4 Satisfaction Poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 Satisfaction Poll

Need some advice please. Am based in Uk so we just got hold of the Spektrum modules recently seems very good.

Checked out the AR9000 plus extra remote ie 4 rxs total on a large foamie and took flight logger numbers, no probs.

Next in a 88 Yak fades and frame losses much higher but within the quoted normal range.

Then the Comp Arf 3M extra. numbers now well outside limits. Have tried main rx up top of canopy and at various angles also moved remotes to every likely place. Things improved but not a lot.

The range check etc is fine from all angles however these very high fade and frame loss counts have put me off for the big one.

Can any one help please?

Also how long would a hold last wiht this kit obviously till the next good set of info but I've been alarmed by how long the rx can take to pick up the signal when tried at long range and the bind button depressed, went for a long walk up a hill to check! similar time to turning off the tx ie approx 3secs.

cheers
Robin

Old 08-29-2007, 07:25 PM
walterPPK

Today I went to my field, took my 25% GP Yak54. After taking off I flew straight away from me, suddenly I had no control!... The plane was flying straight in probably fail safe mode, it didn't take long to realize that I had forgotten to install the antenna on the module. Since I store the XPS antenna inside the old 72Mhz antenna hole, I was able to retrieve it and screw it in on time to save the day!.

Lesson learned, don't forget to install the antenna before you fly!.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

I had the same thing, but my antenna was back on the bench. My old timer was about 1/8 of a mile out and 500 ft. up when I lost control. It weather cocked into the wind and was climbing away. I held the TX over my head with the module aimed at the plane, and got control, and brought it in for a safe landing. Bet I dont forget that again.
Jim Drew said if it should happen, you can put your finger over the antanna mount, and your body will act as an antenna, giving almost normal range. But I don't plan to test that theory.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This poll is premature. At present only the XPS module is compatible with nine and ten channel transmitters. Until Spektrum comes out with their 9303 and Futaba with their 12FG it is simply invalid to try and compare them all. Only XPS modules can be used with nine and ten channel transmitters at this time. Once Spektrum and Futaba are firmly established I believe the entire 2.4 landscape will change.

I have had perfect range checks with XPS at my field but nothing but glitches with it in my garage and on my bench. For all I know it may work perfectly in my airplane but I am not willing to risk it with high dollar models at this point. I will wait for Spektrum and Futaba before making any switch to 2.4.

Go here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6090747/anchors_6094121/mpage_1/key_Dustflyer/anchor/tm.htm#6094121

Then here for video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722695
Old 08-29-2007, 10:29 PM
altacom

Here we go again!! Those with certain Transmitters have had problems which mysteriously dissapeared when they sent the system back to the manufacturer and had minor updates done. Most have been replacement of pots in the transmitters.

I've been flying the XPS since May, in 5-6 different models with no glitches, no headaches. But then again I made sure to follow the directions in the manual, and the forums. From what I've seen so far, in most all cases, the person with the big complaint - after doing some homework finds that the problem was something he/she overlooked.

These 2.4 systems, no matter what Manufacturer, require some new ways of doing things. Blaming any system without consulting the available information, and experiences of others is foolish in my opinion.

And the systems are being flown by others in some pretty expensive aircraft. At the Heli Meet this weekend, there were some $5000 heli's being flown Spread Spectrum.

And this poll seems to me to be very interesting. Check the complaints part of the survey, they are pretty much the same percentage for all systems.

This is the same type of thing we experienced back in the 60's when Proportional systems appeared on the market. i was a reed fan, and was sure that the new systems would never take over the marketplace. I was wrong then, and hope to be correct now by going SS.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe many bought XPS simply because there was no other option! With XPS you simply pop a module in and you've got 8 to 10 channels to work with. Right now you can't do that with Spektrum or Futaba.

This poll is highly inaccurate because so many fllyers are waiting for higher channel integrated offerings from Spektrum and Futaba. Once these systems are readily available these poll numbers will change radically.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 AM
walterPPK

XPS is the ONLY system that will support telemetry so no, Futaba and Spektrum won't change a thing for the people who bought XPS systems knowing the full (future) capability of the system.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:40 AM
tychoc

ORIGINAL: walterPPK

XPS is the ONLY system that will support telemetry so no, Futaba and Spektrum won't change a thing for the people who bought XPS systems knowing the full (future) capability of the system.
Exactly. As an electrical engineer, I compared the systems and bough XPS because of its use of SS is innovative for RC applications whereas the others only offer the same old functionality and are not taking advantage of what the underlying technology can do.

XPS was thinking outside the box and has a much better platform to add new functionality in the future.

-tychoc
Old 08-30-2007, 09:47 AM
ChuckA

Your poll is flawed. You rate the percent of satisfied owners of any system against the total responders which stacks the deck in favor of the system that has the largest number of owners. By your own numbers, 89% of Spectrum owners are satisfied while 91% of Futaba owners are satisfied and 86% of XPS owners are satisfied. There is no significant difference in the level of satisfaction among the users of all 2.4 systems. I find this surprising considering the systematic efforts of a very small group of people to destroy XPS without even owning the system.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 PM
altacom

ORIGINAL: Dustflyer

I believe many bought XPS simply because there was no other option! With XPS you simply pop a module in and you've got 8 to 10 channels to work with. Right now you can't do that with Spektrum or Futaba.

This poll is highly inaccurate because so many fllyers are waiting for higher channel integrated offerings from Spektrum and Futaba. Once these systems are readily available these poll numbers will change radically.

I would imagine this to be correct. The average RC'er just want a system that works, and Futaba, JR, and Spektrum do just that.

But I think that those RC'ers that look to do as much with the technology as it is capable of, will be looking for much more sophisticated packages. Which is where the XPS system will shine.
Prior to XPS, I used mostly the FMA receivers. Why? Because they were hands down more sophisticated than any others I tried, and being able to program them and analyze them on my laptop was invaluable.
I use the Eagletree on board data recorder on a regullar basis wiith my planes. This allows me to come home and compare what went on today with what went on in a previous flight. And on occasion this has shown me problems that I might have missed and could lead to the loss of an aircraft. For new planes I take my Laptop to the field and analyze the maiden right at the field.
I use the FMA Balancing charger on all my packs. The first time I charge a pack, I screen shoot the results, and about every 4-5 charges, analyze the pack again and compare. Once again this may have saved me a plane when one cell of a 5 cell pack gets reduced capacity over time, causing the pack to give less capacity when under load, and a potential for the weaker cell to get overheated and explode.
I'm finding my computer to be one of the most valuale tools on my workbench, and that's the future of RC in my opinion. And to date, XPS is the only one with the potential for this type of use. Bi-Directional Comm is a wonderful thing, and opens up a lot of doors that uni-directional systems cannot match.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

I bought the XPS system in the first wave with three receivers, I just bought enough to convert the entire fleet!

I fly a mix of profile and giant scale gassers. Not one glitch in hundreds of flights.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To be more meaningful, shouldn't the failure rate percentage be for each brand; i.e. 8 major failures out of 111 for Spectrum should be 7.2%, for Futaba FASST 1 out of 46 is 2.1% and 4 out of 67 for the last one is 5.9% for failure rates by brand.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: mstroh3961

I bought the XPS system in the first wave with three receivers, I just bought enough to convert the entire fleet!

I fly a mix of profile and giant scale gassers. Not one glitch in hundreds of flights.
Thats good to know--Im thinking about getting the XPS in my 35% Yak
Old 09-01-2007, 12:36 PM
altacom

The way I read it is not so much necessarily Failure Rates as problems with the systems.

In most of the threads, the problems have turned out after a day or so to be something other than the SS system itself. This thread being no different if you got through it fully.

Also bear in mind that this is an Opinion Poll, and what is a minor problem in one person's opinion might be a Major problem in anothers opinion.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:41 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Attention to detail is key! Keeping all wiring away from the antennas, putting the antenna on the TX and away from the TX handle. Proper power supply to the receiver.

Its new technology and it has to be handled differently. THIS IS THE WAY I DO IT wont cut it.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:43 PM
cubnpede82

Hello all,
I have just recently purchased the DX6i and am THRILLED, I have AR6200, and two AR6100s . I have only flown with it once as I just got it Monday, but was thrilled at how my SC performed. I had previously only owned RTF radios, but this is remarkable. I couldn't believe how easy it was to program and set up, even for my first computer radio.

I think that all the SS offerings are good stuff, JR and Spektrum are in it together , with JR being the high end stuff and Spektrum making great products for entry level pilots, at great prices.

Futaba has entered the market and seems to be doing well, their offerings are competitive.

XPS seems to be ,technology wise, the most sophisticated use of the SS 2.4 capabilities, but seems to have problems releasing products to meet demand. They seem to be doing OK amongst the "elite" that want the best and have a module based radio to upgrade. I hope they do a complete system Tx/Rx and maybee offer something for the entry level pilots that will later be compatible if they decide to upgrade to a beefier system.

Airtronics has recently introduced their RDS8000, an 8 channel SS system that is supposed to be full range, for only about $230, I hope that by being late in getting into 2.4 they ( and HiTec ) can still do well.

I chose Spektrum and am happy, I did so because of the price of the Dx6i, and I had 3 planes that just needed Rx's to make the switch, I also liked the Model Match as I am a new pilot and haven't developed all of the "good habits" that I feel this may alleviate some of. Price and availability was also part of the decision, as Spektrum is available at my LHS and they have a variety of Rx's for different needs , and at $50 up.
I thought about getting the Airtronics but I would have to order stuff and as far as I know they don't have any micro/mini recievers out yet, just the 8ch at about $80.

I think that for those of us who are loyal to a particular store, what that store sells may make some difference, or availability and variety? But all in all SS as a whole is awesome, I fly at a park where there is no freq. board, and that means TROUBLE, 2.4 will make a big diff here and Spektrum has already become very popular, with about 1/3-1/2 that I see already going 2.4 , and most of them Spektrum. As for me stationg NO PROBS, as I said , I have only one outing with one plane, but the DX6i seems to be the perfect radio for me, easy to set up, 10 model mem. , MODEL MATCH, and it will probably do anything I will ever need, for under $200 including Tax, for Tx/Rx, charger and NiMH AAs . (4 of them! This thing is light!)

SUPPORT THE TROOPS! go ask your local USAF or other recruiter's office for a lanyard and you'll have a trans. strap. For those of you who aren't american, you may have a similar situation where you are.

Laters,
Isaiah ( [email protected] )
Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
altacom

This forum has been pretty inactive lately. Nice to see someone got back in.

I'm approaching my first full year with XPS, and haven't lost a plane in that year. Never had a glitch or problem with the XPS system. I see a lot of the others appearing at the field, and am glad to see that. Not having to bother with the frequency pin is a wonderful thing.

With the release of the XDP, the programming of the XPS is now a walk in the park. So I guess I'm just as pleased after a year as when I first made the decision to go to XPS. Trouble is that having not lost any planes in a year, I don't get to build any new ones. A bittersweet problem.

I've made it a point to learn how to install 2.4 and get the proper results. I've seen guys come out to the field wth sloppy Spektrum installs and have problems. I've seen others come out with systems that have poor voltage, and loss of signal.

But in my opinion, if you really do a good job of installing the 2.4 systems, you'll have no problems. No matter what brand you buy.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: 2.4 Satifaction Poll

You need to add Airtronics RDS8000 FHSS 2.4GHz. They're shipping now and I have one. Er, and let me vote for two. I had the 6EX FASST and sold it.

CR
Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: ChuckA
I find this surprising considering the systematic efforts of a very small group of people to destroy XPS without even owning the system.
of all the XPS responses i have seen they all have been glowing, well except those who forgot to plug in the antenna.

I have futaba and like it just fine. right now on electric but moving it over to my first nitro plane to use 2.4 soon.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM
BaldEagel

Sorry Carlosponti, my experience is totally different and so are a lot of peoples on other sites, I will get the links and post them here.

This has been my experience.

Just to add to the knowledge base, On my flying site we have a problem with high energy microwave/transmission towers communicating over an estury, the field is flat with no towers in sight we just know they are there from the Ordanance Survey Maps.

PPM has issues with glitches in certain areas of the flight line.
PCM has no issues does not go to lockout or fail safe, one instance of glitching into the ground on one plane, mine unfortunatly, possibly a frayed wire discovered on post mortum.
Xtreme/Graupner IFS 2.4Ghz system, lots of lock out in the normal PPM interferance areas, my plane again only just managed to save it.
Futaba 2.4Ghz system no in flight problems encountered on this site, some ground problems with non binding and not working until switch off and on again.
Spetrum DX7 no issues of any kind over 100 flights.
Futaba with Spektrum module no problems of any kind encountered.

These are just my finding on my site, make up your own mind.

I now fly only Spektrum equiped Futaba and Spektrum DX7 on this site, anything else is just to exciting an at my age excitment is to exhausting.

Mike
Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

my friend flies a 30 size raptor on pcm and previously on ppm. the pcm went into heading hold because of radio loss at this one area he flies in. btw that was the scariest thing i have ever seen an uncontrolled helicopter coming my direction about 25 feet over my head. and there have been more and more hits in that area.

i was making comment on the guy saying there were people specifically out to destroy XPS systems when just from this thread i noticed there were not many stating they had problems with their systems. the only system that someone actually posted a complaint were people on the spectrum systems.

i know there have been people un-happy with the futaba system for the zero test guid problem recently released. im not saying people dont have problems.hey and its new technology too so to not expect problems is not entirely something you can count on. I just haven't seen one person where i live complain about problems with theirs.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:41 AM
BaldEagel

Read this thread, it is very scientific in its investigations of the XPS system, it is so convincing that Graupner deleated it from there help thread and JD has not aknoledged its existence: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814769 and it exactly mirrors my problems, it just dif not hop to a different frequency when it was hit by interferance and locked out, just like flying PPM and getting glitches except you get lock outs.

Mike
Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: carlosponti

my friend flies a 30 size raptor on pcm and previously on ppm. the pcm went into heading hold because of radio loss at this one area he flies in. btw that was the scariest thing i have ever seen an uncontrolled helicopter coming my direction about 25 feet over my head. and there have been more and more hits in that area.
So what you are saying is that your friend did not set up his fail safe, I would keep well clear of him when he is flying if I was you.

Mike
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
daggets

perhaps it could be interesting to compare the transmission techniques beetween spektrum, fasst and xps.... they are not the same and it can makes difference...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:55 AM
BaldEagel

This is being done on RC Groups by the same chap who has investigated the non hopping of the XPS system, that investigation is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816989

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.