Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Spektrum-Love it, no problems
39.88%
Spectrum- It's OK, minor problems
3.97%
Spektrum- Major problems
4.17%
Futaba-Love it, no problems
27.58%
Futaba- It's OK, minor problems
2.38%
Futaba- Major problems
1.59%
XPS-Love it, no problems
15.48%
XPS- It's OK, minor problems
0.99%
XPS- Major problems
3.97%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

2.4 Satisfaction Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 Satisfaction Poll

first, you have the wrong idea about failsafe.
it is NOT there to save the airplane, it IS there to help prevent personal or property damage, or at least mitigate such damages to the lower side of the scale.

best setting, is throttle to kill position
and i like to induce a stall to the airplane in order to minimize the energy with witch it arrives at the ground as well as minimize the possible impact footprint. but as long as that meat cleaver on the nose is stopped, most any settings for failsafe on the rest of the channel will be ok.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The best setting is a full snap roll with engine shut down (or at least to idle).

Fail safe is not about trying to save the plane. It is about making certain it does not travel very far while not in control so as to enter the pits or a crowd and kill someone.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with that sorta. Even if the plane is that low and goes into failsafe, chances are it won't end up going into the pits. Which is a good thing. Of course that low and in that attitude you will probably lose the bird.

Failsafe is mainly to try to protect an out of control plane from going where it can hurt someone. And hopefully will last a short enough time to allow regaining control if it is a signal loss, or short term interferance thing. If it is a problem with your power onboard, failure of a device, etc. it will maybe allow yoou to pick up some bigger pieces after the crash.

Sorry bout that - two other repeats befor I got min there. Same as they said
Old 03-30-2008, 04:27 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always like for fail safe to shut a gas engine back to 15% throttle. And it is not to save the airplane but to reduce the potential damage to people. The airplane can be replaced.

Bill
Old 03-30-2008, 04:34 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Fair enough.
I'll set it to reduce throttle if I use this receiver again.
I am now using Futaba FAAST.

Greg
Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, uncle - now please tell me how I can post my opinion to the poll, I cannot figure out how. I have been using XPS since April 2007 and just love it. Please, how do I vote. I can already feel the wet noodles lashing out for me. Thanks

Howad
Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another purpose is to keep planes that are inherently stable, trainer planes and such, from flying away. Seen that happen to many times over the last 50 yrs.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:17 PM
altacom

I posted early on in this survey, and at that time was still in the feeling out stage with XPS. Since then I have over 500 flights, on various planes, and locations all over the northwest, Las Vegas, and Tucson. In almost a year, I have lost one plane, due to pilot stupidity, not XPS. I now have my entire stable of 5-6 flyable planes, and 7 semi-retired planes.

I have only one incident to report. While flying my EP superstar, I came out of a split S, and when I commanded to roll back to level, nothing happened for about half a second (seemed like forever) and then control returned. I landed and quit for the day. When removing the wing, I found that the Aileron Servo wires had moved back and were hanging over the RX antenna. I now velcro them forward when attaching the wing, and since then have over 100 flights on the plane without a glitch.

The little 6 channel RX's are great. No weight at all and as good if not better than the DX-6 I used for close flying before XPS. The XDP makes setting up planes a piece of cake. It's also nice to be able to take it and my laptop to the field and use the analyzer to monitor the 2.4 frequencies.

I realize this is a good way to get beat up in these forume, but hope that it will give those flying XPS some good vibes.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
dave_rose69

Check your "BEC" output voltage. 2.4 Ghz receivers dont work reliably when under powered. 6VDC is the minimum that we fly with, and that's for all 2.4 flight packs.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:37 PM
aydin3
My Feedback: (1)

mine does not appear in the poll but wth

RDS8000 - excellent, easy to proggram, cheap to buy but has all the features needed by a beginner to intermediate sports flyer.
SD10-G - totally awesome!! easy to program, cheap to buy, has all the features required for any flyer of any experience. Works well for gliders, planes and helis with separate programming types for each. Totally configurable, including Mode!! Can reassign channels if needed (ie to add more aileron servos etc without y leads, three pos switches, all reassignable.

Airtronics Rocks!!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:00 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm an Airtronics user too. When I posted this poll, Airtronics did not have a 2.4 system yet. I was considering an XPS system for my Stylus. I have since purchased bot an SD10-G, and an RDS8000.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 PM
aerofly0610

I have an airtronics 8ch and I like it because of the cost!!!!!! Used to have jr 6ch 72mhz (computerized) and I loved that but JR 2.4ghz was out of my price range
Old 11-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

A fair comparison would be votes limited to those who have used all three brands. That said:

You have a bigger sampling for spektrum because it was out before Futaba.

XPS only produces modules, so it's not really the same.

If you take the percentage of minor or major problems, to the number of respondees for Futaba, you will see that by percentage their users are the most satisfied.

Many problems may be the result of user installation. It doesn't necessarily reflect the reliability of the brand unless installation is easier or less critical.

Bottom line:

2.4 is the future and the future is here.

It's not suprising that Futaba is showing the lowest percentage of dis-satisfaction, because Futaba flier do better installations, are smarter, and it's a fact that they are much better looking!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 PM
OldRookie

Flying Geezer....Good one. That will certainly skew the statistics.

It looks as if another radio should be added to the list. The Hitec Aurora 9 looks as if it will be some serious competition for both Futaba and JR. Bang for the buck beats both hands down. Check out the comparison chart.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/ma...ison_Chart.pdf

We will see if or when any first run glitches show up. I was thinking of getting the new Futaba 8 channel radio, but I may just jump the Futaba bandwagon and go to Hitec.

Greg
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weeelll, one out of three ain't bad. I used to be a Futaba driver so I kept the last one
Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 PM
MikeL

It might be challenging to add options to a poll that's over two years old...
Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 PM
OldRookie

Never too late.
We just need a new one with the new models.

Greg