Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Spektrum-Love it, no problems
39.88%
Spectrum- It's OK, minor problems
3.97%
Spektrum- Major problems
4.17%
Futaba-Love it, no problems
27.58%
Futaba- It's OK, minor problems
2.38%
Futaba- Major problems
1.59%
XPS-Love it, no problems
15.48%
XPS- It's OK, minor problems
0.99%
XPS- Major problems
3.97%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

2.4 Satisfaction Poll

Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 Satisfaction Poll

ORIGINAL: retired06

Crashed two electrics within 50 feet of takeoff. Good range check, fresh batteries on RX and TX. Total loss of all control and motor function. By the time I had walked to the planes full function had returned - less than 20 seconds. I'm definately concerned about putting this thing in anything other than foamies. May have to go back to the HITEC stuff I've flown for years with NO problems. It may be worth the trouble of "sharing a pin"!
My suggestion would be to get your system back to XPX for a full checkup. If you have it in a Hitec Optic 6, there may be a problem with the case where the Module plugs in. I've also heard of poor solder joints where the pins are soldered to the mother board on the Optic 6's. Just
junking the system won't solve your problem, nor enable the manufacturer to see if it is something that could affect other pilots.

I lost 3 planes with the Optic 6 Syn' Module. And Hitec checked it out and returned it saying there was no problem. Put in a Futaba channel 56 module and flew troublefree for months before I went over to the 9C. I fly planes from 36" to 72", Electric all the way. And so far have had great success with the XPX system. Others are flying everything from 35% to 40% Imac planes to highspeed jets with no problems. And these are planes worth $5000 and up.

So give the system a chance. Contact XPS and they will undoubtably assist you
Old 08-15-2007, 12:43 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crashed two electrics within 50 feet of takeoff. Good range check, fresh batteries on RX and TX. Total loss of all control and motor function. By the time I had walked to the planes full function had returned - less than 20 seconds. I'm definately concerned about putting this thing in anything other than foamies. May have to go back to the HITEC stuff I've flown for years with NO problems. It may be worth the trouble of "sharing a pin"!
What system are you using? Do you have XPS modules in a Hitec system, or do you have Spectrum set-up, or the Futaba FSST system?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Whistling Death

I am running XPS in my Futaba 9C with no problems. My plane seems to be more responsive that it used to.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 PM
altacom

ORIGINAL: BBOwen

I am running XPS in my Futaba 9C with no problems. My plane seems to be more responsive that it used to.
I agree with that. I was running in the range of 50-60% expo on my Hyperion Yak. Even at low rates it was responding so much quicker, I had to take the Expo up to 75% on the Elevator and 70% on the Ailerons to get is back to where I was flying it before.
Every one of my planes seems to be more in my control than ever before. My landings have really improved since going over to XPS.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:29 PM
altacom

ORIGINAL: TLH101

What system are you using? Do you have XPS modules in a Hitec system, or do you have Spectrum set-up, or the Futaba FSST system?
That sure would help people assist you if they can. There are some things different about spread Spectrum you have to learn no matter what system you are using.
1. The signal is greatly attenuated (reduced) if it is blocked by any large mass such as a battery pack, or the size of an engine or motor. So you have to insure that the Receiver antenna is a high in the plane as possible and blocked as little as possible.
2. Loose wiring moving around the antenna can change the radiation pattern, thereby reducing signal strength. So all wiring in the plane needs to be secured to not move around in flight.
3. Carbon Fibre, and any large metallic portions of the aircraft can also drastically reduce range.

As time goes on and the SS sytems become more prevalent, there will most likely be other cautions we need to learn. But then again keep in mind that when Prorpotional Control came out way back when, it was not immediately accepted by those of us using Reeds.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:35 AM
BMoneeeee

Love the Spektrum DX7. Absolutely awesome. Feels like I am using the force to control the plane, and I am not even a Jedi. By far the best product I have owned.

Thanks for the tip about securing wires inside the fuse.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: 2.4 Satifaction Poll

Bob,
What system are you using?

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Not correct; the modules are actually using the PPM ("FM") signal from the encoder. Requires you to set modulation at "PPM" in the TX, and this is faster than PCM rate in nearly all transmitters. It has a better response than I would have expected.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Windwizard

Default RE: 2.4 Satifaction Poll

I lost a plane this morning using the Spektrum DX-6 with the AR 6000 receiver. Was flying a Multiplex Easy Glider that has flown perfectly with this system many times and have been in a thermal until it was a mere speck, with no problems ever. Had a good pre-flight, TX on the proper model, freshly charged LiPo battery (using Blinky balancer) and charged the JR 2500 mAh NIMH in the TX all night, as I always do. I have the Multiplex upgrade kit using a 400 brushless motor, new ESC, new prop and new Impulse 3 cell 1450 mAh LiPo. I was 8 minutes into the flight (I've flown 29 minutes at 1/2 throttle before with no problems). I was cruising straight & level at about 500 feet looking for thermals when I completely lost control. I moved the throttle to idle and the plane went straight in at full throttle and I had no contol over it. The crash site was less than 100 yards from where I was standing. COULD I HAVE BEEN HIT? There was a pick-up truck parked about 1/4 mile away in an area that helicopters have been flown in the past, but they were always on Spektrum. I didn't go over to check the truck after the crash, maybe I should have? Other than the truck, I was the ONLY one at our flying field.

The cockpit in the Easy Glider is a little cramped and I always coil the aileron leads and the "Y" lead and put the wires almost on top of the receiver, and they NEVER move. The antenna on the RX is taped down and the wires are at 90% to each other. I've flown in this configuration many times with no problems. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66327.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	750301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14180.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	750302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10543.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	750303  
Old 08-26-2007, 07:49 PM
altacom

To lose total control, and not get a reboot prior to the crash is not normal for Spread Spectrum. My DX-6 occasionally would give me a definate hesitation on occasion while it changed receivers. But never caused a crash.

Also I did notice that with the DX-6, I was lucky to get 4-5 flights without the Transmitter being low on charge. It really draws the Transmitter battery down fast. That is possibly what happened. Spread Spectrum is way more dependant on having plenty of power both to the TX and RX at all times. And if your Transmitter did go low on battery, the power reduction would do just what you dsscribe. Receiver keeping servos at last control input and off to the races. Others at our field have had the same problem, but they did let the TX battery go low.

It's too bad there is no Failsafe on the DX-6. That would have given you a clue. The motor staying at full Throttle normally means a total loss of signal and holding last received control input. Which ii one of the reasons I chose the XPS system, if I lose control, the failsafe set into the Receiver will go to power shut down and a gentle turn with slight elevator. Hopefully that will keep the plane in a gentle turn and perhaps time to regain signal.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Windwizard

Hi altacom: My transmitter had been on charge all night and I was only 8 minutes into the flight when I lost control, so it wasn't low. The TX was showing 10.6 volts as I walked the short distance to the crash site. As far as the throttle holding last received control input, I was cruising at 1/2 throttle, straight & level flight when the accident happened. Go figure! Thanks for your input.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Abras
My Feedback: (1)

Windwizard correct me if I'm wrong. But DX-6 is not a full range system. It's a park flyer system.

I don't think it's supposed to work with your glider.

Abras
Old 08-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Windwizard

Hi abras: You're right, it is a Park Flyer system, but I've read lots of posts where guys have flown until their plane is a speck, without any problems. I've flown my Multiplex Acro Master for months using the DX6 with no problems, doing near vertical climbs almost every flight. I could have bought the DX7 system, but it looked like the DX6 wasn't having quite as many problems.
Thanks for your ideas!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Foamaholic

Could it be the esc shut down for some reason?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you have the throttle failsafe set to shut off?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DX6 is fine with an Easy Glider. I have flown them way out on that radio with no problems. Besides, he was less than 1000 feet away, WELL within range.

Problem was not likely the radio system.

You had a new ESC? Why? That is where I would look. Overloaded BEC or not enough cooling air.

Has it always been flown on a 3 cell Lipo?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:07 PM
altacom

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Did you have the throttle failsafe set to shut off?
Having the BEC of the ESC go out would cause exactly the given problem. I have burned out the BEC on Speed controls by exceeding the recommended 2-3 microservos specified. I had a plane - Paramount Sport conversion - and maidened it in February last year. I flew it for about 2 months, then retired it to fly another plane. I resurected it in July and using everything the same, it was kind of slugginsh, and erratic. The batteries were coming down hotter than usual, but not real bad. In Late July on a particullarly hot day, it suddenly locked up and crashed. The Speed control was fried. I suspect that the hotter day, caused the speed control to overheat and burn out.

The only other explanation would be a complete flooding of the entire Spread Spectrum band with an extremely strong signal. I understand this can happen if you fly withn 2-5 miles of an airport using a certain type of radar package. That's only something I heard in passing, and not sure of.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:11 PM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running an XPS system in my Wildstik 120. No problems. Just bought 2 more receivers
Old 08-27-2007, 10:07 AM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

been using XPS since it first became available online in my home built microstar2000 radio with no probs at all.

can feel a little smoother/quicker response to my inputs but really depends on the plane i'm flying. on the bench i can really see the difference though, much smoother. before XPS i was using only FMA FS8 receivers and the signal proccessing they do might of had some effect on resolution and latency...

dave
Old 08-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Windwizard

altacom: Thanks to your posting yesterday, I did some checking. I was so p%$&@d off after the crash I threw the remains of the plane in the storage shed and walked away. This morning I checked the ESC and it is indeed fried! I have posted a photo, but don't know if you can see where the clear plastic covering is melted. I bought the Easy Glider as an RTF - brushed motor, ESC and all servos were installed at the factory. The plane didn't have enough power for me, so I purchased the MULTIPLEX upgrade kit from Hobby Horse in Madison, Wisconsin. The upgrade included a Multiplex Permax BL 400 brushless motor, Multiplex BL 27 ESC, a new gearbox and prop. I was running a near new Impulse 3 cell 1450 mAh LiPo battery and I was still using the servos that were installed in the plane when I bought it. My feelings are that the ESC they sold me was not sufficient to handle that kind of power and that either Hobby Horse or Multiplex owes me a new plane and a new upgrade kit. What are your feelings on the subject? ?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89487.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	792.8 KB
ID:	750782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75281.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	742.0 KB
ID:	750783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36410.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	725.6 KB
ID:	750784  
Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM
altacom

Sorry to hear that, But glad that you found it to Not be the Spektrum. So many pof these threads immediately blame it on the
new Technology, when it really is most likely something completely aside of the SS.
As to replacing your plane etc. It's always worth a try. But ususally they will try to doge the bullet.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM
tychoc

I'm running XPS in a Futaba 9C. No problems. Love the system and the prospects of the soon to be released in field programmer and telemetry options.

-tychoc
Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 AM
walterPPK

XPS with Futaba 9C.... A match made in heaven!.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:24 AM
altacom

ORIGINAL: walterPPK

XPS with Futaba 9C.... A match made in heaven!.
Agreed!! 100%

But there was a learning curve. I converted from the standard FM and had to make some changes to insure success. The DX-6 taught me a lot, and now the XPS is continuing my education.

1. Most FM receivers are deep in the plane, and hidden to 2.4 signals. SS receivers have to be above all mass that can attenuate the signal, Battery pack, motor, servos etc. This took some work and thought on some of my planes to get the appropriate range check.
2. Anything moving around inside the plane can attenuate the signal. All wires, etc must be tied down and secured against moving around. And no wiring within 2 inches of the antenna (s).
3. Range checks are mandatory, and must be done in a 360 degree circle around your plane. If you find a dead spot, something is blocking signal at that attitude, and must be tracked down and changed.
4. keep the TX antenna at least 1 inch away from the metal handle. SS still does not like to have the antenna pointed at your plane.

There will be other requirements as time goes on and the technology becomes more prevalent. But right now a giant step has been take in the RC modeling world.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Do these poll numbers give us a idea of whats selling the most and the least? Dennis
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
altacom

That's how I interpret it. I know that I'm seeing more SS at the field all the time. The Heli Event this weekend was dominated by SS.

Many of those I spoke with would have liked to go to the XPS system, but were upgrading from radios that didn't have a modular system.

No matter which system they used however everybody likes the improved control that SS provides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.