RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Using Xmitter W/Simulator

Old 07-26-2007, 04:14 PM
broke_n_bummin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Using Xmitter W/Simulator

I gave my father-in-law a Futaba 6X I had because all he had was a 4 channel, and thought the dual rates would help him with his flying. I went to his house the other day and he was using the transmitter with a flight sim. The thing that struck me was that the radio didn't have a Xtal in it. Is this going to hurt it? I'm not a radio expert, but I do know that with a transmitting station (HAM / Amateur radio) this stresses the RX finals because of the SWR going WAY up. I've seen what looks like a matching circuit in some of the transmitters I have taken apart ( to stiffen up the stick springs) , but it doesn't look "beefy" enough to cover from sunup to sundown. I have plenty of Xtals that will work in that particular radio. I bought it on Ch. 41, and have used ch 36 and 44 on it in the past. Should I give him one of those crystals, or is it ok to run it without one?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
pilotpete2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Using Xmitter W/Simulator

Actually removing the crystal on a radio is always advised for radios without removable RF modules, as removing the crystal disables RF output. So leave it out
Pete
Old 07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Using Xmitter W/Simulator

It'll be fine. If you want to give him a crystal, give him the one it's been TUNED for. That is the only one that should EVER be in it.