Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Lazy erratic servo action.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
mav1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy erratic servo action.

I have 2 planes that have servos for the ailerons mounted on their sides. After storage the aileron servos are very slow to react. When the servos return to center they wil overshoot center then return to center. At the flying field when the engines are running the servos will behave better, they will act normal. I have changed one of the servos and it was better for awhile. Then again after storage it acted sluggish. Can being stored on their side cause this, and why. I have talked to people and have not recieved any conclusive responce. Thans for any assistance.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 AM
alan0899

Default RE: Lazy erratic servo action.

G'day Mate,
Check Batteries First, they will make servos erratic, if they are not charged properly.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM
mav1000

Thanks for getting back to me. The batts are good they have been charged and cycled with good results. This problem is isolated to the wing servos of both planes, all the other servos in both planes have no issues. The wing servos are laying on their sides during storage, all the other servos are stored vertical with the output shaft pointing down. The wing servos are a dual aileron set up with a Y connector harness. I will be checking the connector harness for proper voltage. Other than that this one has me baffled. Also I dont understand why the operation becomes normal when the engine is running. Thanks for any input
Old 08-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have any extensions in the wings, they are a likely suspect. Such action is usually caused by a bad connector, either dirty, corroded or loose. That is why it is a good idea to never use extensions, solder in the appropriate length of wire to extend the lead length.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Bad_Daddy

Well, they are laying on their sides, so all the electrons leak out of the potentiometers and puddle up against the inside wall of the servo case! You're probably lucky they didn't just short themselves out right to the circuit board, the instant you plugged them in! Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Well it is.
Maybe you should check the connections at the receiver, to see if there is some reason they are coming loose or getting contaminated during storage. Is there some rust / mildew / corrosion in there that gets a chance to "grow" during the period of storage? Something like "black wire disease", where the wires of the negative lead of the servo plug become tarnished?