Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec HS-81 failure rates???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 11:40 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec HS-81 failure rates???

What do you guys think of the HS-81's in general...a flyer at my field said that 3 of them failed on him although one might not be totally attributable to the servo itself.

Have any of you seen high failure rates on these servos? Has anybody had good experience using them over time? I just got a few at the WRAM show and before I throw them in a model wanted get some more views on this to see if others also experienced any kind of frequent failures.

From what I understand the HS-81's are made in the Phillipines instead of the Korea factory.

He said I should go w/the HS-85's as they are ball bearing and made in Korea and at least in his experience have proven more reliable. I haven't had any problems w/any Hitec equipment to date (knock on wood) but these are my first HS-81's.

Old 02-25-2002, 12:18 AM
bkf
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a bunch of them in all sorts of things. Have not one crap out yet. Even a few crashes.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:46 AM
budcop
My Feedback: (23)

HS-81's, I have a couple, no problems with them or any Hitec servo's that I have owned..Bud
Old 02-25-2002, 03:47 AM
shmo46

I have gone thru a couple gear sets on a couple 81's used in a highly mistreated Zagi. No problems in normal use, they just don't take the real hard hits. The good news is gear sets are redily available at my LHS, cheap, and easy to replace.

I hear they make some small Metal gear versions, which proably are better suited for terrible fliers like me.

shmo
Old 02-26-2002, 05:43 AM
Dragon Soaring

Default I only fly hitec stuff!! bang for busk is the best

I fly them in most of my slope and/or thermal machines - love em and cant beat the price. I will only get the metal gear HS 81MG. after stipping a few plastic sets. with the MG's I have yet to strip one out. on the slope it can and is a punishing enviroment. The only problem I'v had is that one or two of them wont center any more after very hard abuse, but with the 2 yr warrenty and Hitec's great cust service I dont think this will be much of an issue. I have about a dozen of them.