Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Xtremelink

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 AM
grossma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtremelink

Has anyone out there have any experence (good or bad) with xtremelink systems. I am think about getting one for my Futabe 9C.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Xtremelink

Been using it with my Optic6 and 5 receivers in 5 different electric planes all summer without a single problem.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Overall, the reports are good, however, like ANY radio system, there are some who have had problems. Many are not actually the fault of XPS, and have been solved. There are also a whole cadre of "XPS Haters" who have gone out of their way to discredit. There are several threads running on RCU and RC Groups. You just need read them with an open mind.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have a module in my 9C. I have had no trouble with it and have been flying with with three receivers.
The only things I can say I don't like is:
1) Programming the fail safe is hard to do with the poorly written instructions.
2) The manual is online only. You have to print it yourself if you want to program the fail safe.
3) There is no telephone support, only email. If you have trouble with the shipping (Which I have. Their shipping dept has a different schedule than most of us) Where do you go?
Overall I like the system but if someone else came out with the same price and better support I would go with them.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
DavKhy
My Feedback: (2)

I have one of the XPS systems in my JR 9303. Working great, super range, absolutly no problems, 50+ flights. XPS is coming out with a programmer that uses your computer and a small transmitter to set up things like fail safe and channel mapping in your receiver wirelessly. Not sure when it will be out, will make programming much easier. The best thing is that the manufacturer has a forum on RC Groups and is on every day replying to comments and suggestions. It is great to be able to talk to the person that designs the equipment.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: DavKhy

I have one of the XPS systems in my JR 9303. Working great, super range, absolutly no problems, 50+ flights. XPS is coming out with a programmer that uses your computer and a small transmitter to set up things like fail safe and channel mapping in your receiver wirelessly. Not sure when it will be out, will make programming much easier. How much?
The best thing is that the manufacturer has a forum on RC Groups and is on every day replying to comments and suggestions.

It is great to be able to talk to the person that designs the equipment.
It sure would be if he put in a telephone
Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 PM
TLH101

Based on how busy XPS vendor forum stays, if they used the phone, they would never get any products developed or made. Plus if he answers a persons questions, or solves his problem in an open forum, everyone benifits.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:02 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TLH101

Based on how busy XPS vendor forum stays, if they used the phone, they would never get any products developed or made. Plus if he answers a persons questions, or solves his problem in an open forum, everyone benifits.
I'm an old fart not in training and I agree. Some of us have no desire to spend hours on the phone dealing with "people"

Sometimes email with attachments can be way more efficient. I will conceed that on rare occasions phone or face to face conversations resolve things faster but on the whole much less efficient IMHO.

I have had good experience with 2 modules and 3 receivers, so far. You can start small and transfer a receiver around from model to model, if convenient, due to the short antenna. since there have been no other 2.4 adopters in my club, my experience doesn't hold as much weight as some in busier environments.

I like the short antenna. I like the no shootdown part of this since I had someone turn on at a meet last year and was barely able to control the model onto the water (floats). XPS looks very good.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 AM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

I have been flying the module in the JR 10X and have 4 receivers. No problems at all. The fail safe is a pain to set up, but works very well when you figure it out. Flew my Baby Boomerang sunday with the system and it worked great. You do need to be aware of the way you mount the receiver. It needs to have a clear "view" back to the transmitter as much as possible, so you can't bury it in the middle of all the other equipment like you can with a 72 system. I also tried Spektrum, and did not have any problems, but too many people were having power supply problems, so I moved to the Xtreme. Bob
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: 4*60

I'm an old fart not in training and I agree. Some of us have no desire to spend hours on the phone dealing with "people"

Sometimes email with attachments can be way more efficient. I will conceed that on rare occasions phone or face to face conversations resolve things faster but on the whole much less efficient IMHO.

I have had good experience with 2 modules and 3 receivers, so far. You can start small and transfer a receiver around from model to model, if convenient, due to the short antenna. since there have been no other 2.4 adopters in my club, my experience doesn't hold as much weight as some in busier environments.

I like the short antenna. I like the no shootdown part of this since I had someone turn on at a meet last year and was barely able to control the model onto the water (floats). XPS looks very good.
There is no denying that the forum approach is very efficient. But you need a telephone system as well. What if the the customer can't get to a computer?
A couple of weeks ago I was at a big bird fly in. Since the shipping dept had dragged their feet on a receiver I ordered I was trying to put a new receiver in while at the meet. I simply could not get the fail safe programmed although I had two other systems I previously programmed. I had forgotten to turn on the transmitter to put the controls where you want them. (It doesn't say to do that in the instructions) I had a cell phone and if they had 'phone help like other manufacturers it would have saved much frustration.
If they are selling as many units as they claim, maybe they should hire someone to handle the phone for them. If I were to buy Futaba, Spectrum, or JR I can get someone on the phone that at least has some history with the system even if they are not the engineer that designed it.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:16 PM
TLH101

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

If I were to buy Futaba, Spectrum, or JR I can get someone on the phone that at least has some history with the system even if they are not the engineer that designed it.
On the weekend while you are at a fly-in?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:55 PM
ChuckA

I am glad that Jim is not wasting money hiring someone to answer the phone or contracting with someone in India to do the job. I never phone except as a last resort. When I do, I usually get someone in a foreign country that often speaks excellent English but can't communicate.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:16 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

If I were to buy Futaba, Spectrum, or JR I can get someone on the phone that at least has some history with the system even if they are not the engineer that designed it.
On the weekend while you are at a fly-in?
It was Friday
Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: ChuckA

I am glad that Jim is not wasting money hiring someone to answer the phone or contracting with someone in India to do the job. I never phone except as a last resort. When I do, I usually get someone in a foreign country that often speaks excellent English but can't communicate.
When I contact Futaba,Hitec, or JR I don't get someone in India and their stuff is not made in this country. Most companies find good customer service is not a waste of money.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

I have not used a phone in business since 1994 and I have run several large companies with complete success. Since our business model is Internet based, it stands to reason that the majority of our customers are computer savy. With emails surpassing mailed letters, it is clear that this technology is here to stay. What we might do is add "live chat" to our website for tech support. It is far easier and quicker to use pre-loaded data for information with things you can physically see than to try to explain it over the phone.

We would not have support on weekends if we had phone support, and I do not believe the other companies do either.

The manual does state that in order to set the failsafes for those channels set to USER DEFINED, that you must connect the system and press and hold the programming button on the reciever until the LED goes out, at which point it starts flashing red/green repeatedly for 8 seconds while you set your failsafe position. This is known as "live active failsafe" because you actually set the positions manually and physically see those positions.

We do offer a vendor's area on RCGroups, but we will not have one here on RCUniverse.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
JugMan

This is a distillation of my original post. I had a bad experience with XPS not because of the product (I have not used it) but XPS's methods of "internet business" (essentially stemming from a desire to achieve the least business overhead, with the least effort). In my case, the biggest fault was the inability to get meaningful information on my package's status from XPS. Jim views staff as overhead. Sometimes they can be an investment.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:45 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: JimDrew

I have not used a phone in business since 1994 and I have run several large companies with complete success. Since our business model is Internet based, it stands to reason that the majority of our customers are computer savy. With emails surpassing mailed letters, it is clear that this technology is here to stay. What we might do is add "live chat" to our website for tech support. It is far easier and quicker to use pre-loaded data for information with things you can physically see than to try to explain it over the phone.
You are missing a large part of your sales. I have been a computer nerd since the 50's so I know a lot about your other companies problems. From the other threads I read, it took a lot of nerve on my part to buy your system. I would not have done so if I had not seen your kitchen sink demo. I can guess why you don't want to have a phone after reading those other threads.
I will say your system works very good and I am happy with it.

I make quite a bit of money from getting used engines from swap meets and selling them on the internet. You would be amazed at the number of people that have no idea how to sell anything on the internet. Yes the technology is here to stay but there are lots of people that are not into it yet.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: JimDrew

The manual does state that in order to set the failsafes for those channels set to USER DEFINED, that you must connect the system and press and hold the programming button on the reciever until the LED goes out, at which point it starts flashing red/green repeatedly for 8 seconds while you set your failsafe position. This is known as "live active failsafe" because you actually set the positions manually and physically see those positions.

We do offer a vendor's area on RCGroups, but we will not have one here on RCUniverse.
But it does not specifically say to turn the system on and move the servos to where you want them to be in fail safe. Since back up in the procedure it says to make sure the transmitter is off I thought it would kill the procedure to turn it on. You need to make that clear.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:52 PM
GBR2

Dirtybird

If you look at page 22 of the manual (version 1.8), it does tell you to move the sticks to where you want the failsafe positions to be. It also does tell you to turn on the XPS SYSTEM, which would be the Tx module and Receiver. Perhaps you are using an older version of the manual (?) or did not fully read through it?? Also the failsafe setup is a 2 phase thing. First you have to define last hold or failsafe position for each channel, then once that is programmed (Tx not on for this I believe) you set the actual position for each channel that you have choose failsafe position.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:36 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: GBR2

Dirtybird

If you look at page 22 of the manual (version 1.8), it does tell you to move the sticks to where you want the failsafe positions to be. It also does tell you to turn on the XPS SYSTEM, which would be the Tx module and Receiver. Perhaps you are using an older version of the manual (?) or did not fully read through it?? Also the failsafe setup is a 2 phase thing. First you have to define last hold or failsafe position for each channel, then once that is programmed (Tx not on for this I believe) you set the actual position for each channel that you have choose failsafe position.
You are correct. I must have an old version of the procedure. I don't know what the version is as I just printed the failsafe part of it.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Flyfast1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using the XPS system with a Futaba 9C since they were first available and am happy with it. I am using it in several 1/4 scale warbirds (100" 30lbs+) running large gas engines and have not had any problems. I agree with some of the other posters that perhaps the instructions for setting up the failsafe were not as clear as they could be. But, I just read it over a few times and was able to figure it out in probably less than 15 minutes. So, it doesn't take that long and it only has to be setup once per receiver!

All in all a good system that has enabled me to keep all the functionality of my Futaba 9C and I don't have to buy any more receivers if I ever decide to change transmitters. Also, I am looking forward to using the telemetry option.

-Ed
Old 08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
bruff
My Feedback: (18)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have nothing but good luck with XPS. I have a system in my Futaba 9C and one in my Multiplex Evo. Shipping takes awhile due to Lake Havasu mail going through Las Vegas before it come back to Az. Other than that everything is work fine in my large scale EDF and electric scale planes.
Bob
Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM
MikeRuth

It's my guess the manual "On line" has been changed since you printed the info. Version 1.8, indicatiing 8 minor revisions?
I wonder if they are really minor as would be expected, or could one of them actualy cause you to lose an aircraft?
Why am I not suprised? .
I posted somewhere else that I to would not be an XPS customer until they decide that a good old fashion Land line is on order.

No comment on the product, since I don't own it.

good luck.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:54 AM
pentaxman

Slating a company due to delivery issues by a second party is hardly fair.

You may find that the packet was logged on the postal computer system as being delivered on the Saterday, when in fact it was delivered on the Monday.
That can hardly be Xtremelinks fault since they are only going by the info that is provided.

I agree that there are probably too many cases of this sort of thing happening ( no doubt due to KPI's and rediculous targets being set) but they are not the fault of the supplier.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

At least they are changing the manual when they find issues.
I have used manual from the major manufacturers and they VERY seldom change their documentation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.