Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Y harness... how's it work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Wizz Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y harness... how's it work?

i'm working on a project and was wondering how a Y harness works. my understanding is that it allows both servos to operate the same at the same time and they both operate in the same direction. is this correct? if so, is it possible to make one servo change direction by switching the + and - wires in the Y harness?
Old 08-19-2007, 01:46 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Y harness... how's it work?

A Y harness is a paralleling cable. The cable plugs into two servos, for instance, and the single end goes to the receiver. If you need to reverse one servo, switching any leads will NOT work. You need either a Y harness with a built in reverser, or a servo reverser that is plugged in series with one of the servos. This device reverses the pulse to the servo, thus reversing its movement -that is, it shortens or lengthens the pulse duration the same amount from nominal, but in the opposite direction.

Hope this helps,

John C
Old 08-19-2007, 01:50 PM
scratchonly

If you're using it for ailerons they SHOULD both move the same.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

If you have Hitec servoes you can reverse one on your programer, if you have one
Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Dr1Driver

is it possible to make one servo change direction by switching the + and - wires in the Y harness?

Do NOT reverse the black and red (-/+) wires!!! All you'll do is burn out the PC board in your servo. You can buy a Y harness with a servo reverser in one leg, or you can add a reverser between the harness and the servo.

Dr.1
Old 08-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Wizz Kid

thanks for the heads up about the wires. all i have done with servos is plugged it into a reciever. is this the kind of Y harness i need then? i will most likely be using hitec servos.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAFN2&P=ML
Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM
tadawson

Hitec DIGITAL servos - I don't think you can do anything with the standard line . . .

- Tim

ORIGINAL: tail strike

If you have Hitec servoes you can reverse one on your programer, if you have one
Old 08-19-2007, 07:12 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wizz Kid i'm working on a project and was wondering how a Y harness works. my understanding is that it allows both servos to operate the same at the same time and they both operate in the same direction. is this correct? if so, is it possible to make one servo change direction by switching the + and - wires in the Y harness?
No, one must reverse both the wires to the servo motor and to the potentiometer to reverse servo direction. This is now more difficult with surface mounted motors but can be done. refer to my web page "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" sub section "Servo - alterations, calculators, repairs, make an ESC or winch & FAQ"
A "Y" harness which incorporates a servo reversing circuit in one leg does work but there is sometimes a slight lag and could cause later problems.
The easiest and arguably the best method is mechanical.
1.Obtain opposite action by mounting the arms facing each other or away from each other (e.g. for ailerons, both toward the fuselage side of wing servo or both out facing toward wingtips).
2. Use one Futaba and one equivalent Hitec servo, they operate in reverse directions.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jr also offers reverse versions of several of their servos so you can buy 1 "normal" and one "reverse" of the same model and you should have matching characteristics only in opposite directions.