Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need your opinion. futaba9c or hitec eclispe7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 08:48 PM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinion. futaba9c or hitec eclispe7?

I am wanting to buy one of these radios. I can get the eclipse 7 with spetra for $219 tx only and the 9c for around $250 tx only.
Now I have 3 flight pack and two which are jr recievers. The 9c will not work with the Jr recievers. I am not too worried about it though as I can sell those recievers and get some hitecs that will work.

I can't decide which one is a better buy as far as the features that the radios come with. With the hitec I will be able to use my current recievers which is a plus, but if the 9c has alot more capabilities I would rather have it. So guys whats your opinions on the radios? Which one should I get? Today is My birthday and I got some money to spend
Old 03-17-2003, 08:54 PM
SloFlight-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default 9C

Definitly get the 9C

I have the eclipse, and while it is a great radio, it has some problems. Specifically, you cant control both elevator halves with the elevator trim when you are running a dual elevator setup (mixed). However, if you dont have plans to run any setups like this, the Eclipse is a great radio, expecially with the Spectra module. I have 3 or 4 extra crystals in my flight box....that if I get to the field and someones on my freq....I just swap out the crystal in my RX and match my TX to it.

My bro has a 9C....and I think I will be getting one soon since I am building a 33% Extra and my Eclipse just isn't gonna cut it.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:54 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default My Vote is 9C

The 9C is without a doubt is the more powerful/flexible of the two. The downside in your case is that you need to replace RX's with the 9C. Really, all you need to replace are the receivers, not the entire flight pack. You can keep the switches, servos, etc. and sell just the JR RXs. I guess then it really comes down to what you decide is more important... saving on RX costs or getting the better radio. I can't make that decision for you. If it was me, I'd go for the better radio as long as the extra RX costs didn't put it our of my buying range.

Cheers & Happy Birthday!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:59 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I bought the Futaba 9CAP and haven't regretted it since!
Old 03-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a couple guys at the field who bought Eclipses but are now regretting it. You won't believe what you can do with the 9C in comparison with the Eclipse or 8103. With switch assignability you can do things the other two can't dream of doing.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:05 PM
strato911

Have you given any thought to the new Tracker II for $275? (www.polkshobby.com)

Like the Eclipse, it uses a synthesizer to select the frequency, but it also has a synthesized receiver too. If you need to switch frequencies, it only takes a few seconds, and you don't have to dig the receiver out of the plane to swap a crystal. It even has fail-safe capability. For more details, click here for another thread where I have discussed it more thouroughly.

The systems have finished production now, and are currently being shipped to the US for distibution..
Old 03-18-2003, 04:39 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

9CAP
Old 03-18-2003, 05:23 PM
camtronix

Default Happy yesterbirthday!

I vote 9C also, having experience with both. You will not regret it. I may even switch from my JR 8103, but not for a while. In meantime, I could
buy your JR Rxes. Which models?

[email protected]
Old 03-18-2003, 06:03 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

does the 9c have adjustable frequency modulation?? If it does, why wouldn't it work with all ..fm... receivers including jr
Old 03-18-2003, 06:03 PM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

I switched to the 9CAP and have been very impressed. This thing can do 90% of what the $1000 radios can do at about 1/4 of the price.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:54 PM
coomarlin

Originally posted by outssider
does the 9c have adjustable frequency modulation?? If it does, why wouldn't it work with all ..fm... receivers including jr
The 9C can do both PPM and PCM, but as far as I know it is not shift selectable. It will work with Hitec and Futaba receivers, but not with JR or Airtronics.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:16 PM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

FYI:

I'm sure most of you already know this but: The Hitec is shift selectible AND with the spectra module you can switch it to ANY channel you want. No need for extra crystals. If you are buying crystals and you have Spectra, it is a complete waste of money.

Hitec eclipse 7 has everything I need
Old 03-18-2003, 09:41 PM
strato911

Originally posted by cropdusterdave
FYI:

I'm sure most of you already know this but: The Hitec is shift selectible AND with the spectra module you can switch it to ANY channel you want. No need for extra crystals. If you are buying crystals and you have Spectra, it is a complete waste of money.

Hitec eclipse 7 has everything I need
You still need a crystal in the receiver for Hitec.

Polk's Tracker II is a FULLY synthesized system - both the Tx and Rx are synthesized (no crystal), and both Tx and Rx work with any competitor's equipment (+ve & -ve shift). It costs less than the Eclipse w/ spectra, and can do more. 99 model memory, and 8 channels!
Old 03-18-2003, 11:42 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

The question was 9C or Eclipse 7. Let's not polk somethig else into the thread.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:51 PM
strato911

4*60 - Untill I had heard of the Tracker II, those were the same choices I was facing. I mentioned it so that Grant would know there was another option he may not have previously heard of. In my opinion, it provides more funtionality than the Eclipse w/spectra, for about the same price.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:52 PM
coomarlin

The Polk sounds interesting. I'm just wondering why it's stlyed after something from the 70's. Not that style means much, but they could've at least made it look decent.

Originally posted by strato911
Have you given any thought to the new Tracker II for $275? (www.polkshobby.com)

Like the Eclipse, it uses a synthesizer to select the frequency, but it also has a synthesized receiver too. If you need to switch frequencies, it only takes a few seconds, and you don't have to dig the receiver out of the plane to swap a crystal. It even has fail-safe capability. For more details, click here for another thread where I have discussed it more thouroughly.

The systems have finished production now, and are currently being shipped to the US for distibution.
]
Old 03-18-2003, 11:56 PM
strato911

Originally posted by coomarlin
The Polk sounds interesting. I'm just wondering why it's stlyed after something from the 70's. Not that style means much, but they could've at least made it look decent.
According to a phone conversation with the sales manager, they are planning to redesign the case somewhat for the next revision. The picture on the website is of the old version from 10-15 years ago.

You should be looking at the plane, not the radio.

If looks sold radios, no-one would buy Multiplex...
Old 03-19-2003, 01:52 AM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Default Eclipse

I love my Eclipse. Great workhorse radio. Can't speak for the 9C, but I do NOT regret getting my Eclipse.