Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Berg 7p poor range check

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:18 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Berg 7p poor range check

I just installed a new Berg 7p with matching Berg xtal in my UCD today and I'm a bit frustrated. With the antenna down on the tx I can only get about 20 feet away before I loose control of the servos. With the antenna up I am barely getting over 100 feet away before the plane glitches or doesn't respond. This test was done with the plane on a run bench about 3 feet off the ground. I had a buddy stand on his tailgate and hold the plane above his head with only minor (if any) improvement. I do get major improvement when he holds the receiver wire that is coming out of the tail of the plane. Anyone had any issues like this? Any ideas? I'm going to call Castle tomorrow and see what they say. The antenna wire is run through the fuse of the plane inside an antenna tube btw. Thanks for any help.
JAY
Old 09-13-2007, 11:23 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: Berg 7p poor range check

As a easy test try removing the antenna from the antenna tube. I have three berg 7 with no problems.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:50 PM
XJet
Banned

Two things:

1. are you using a geniune Berg crystal? It's important -- the Berg receivers are qutie narrow-band and that means the slightly different frequency produced by a 3rd-party crystal can *sometimes* result in dramatically reduced range.

2. Is your antenna running close to any servo leads or extentions? If so, then run the antenna *outside* the fuselage. I route mine through a small hole in the side of the fuselage (with strain relief) and then up to the rudder, using a rubber-band to provide a bit of tension. It's not uncommon for servo leads (and especially extensions) to radiate quite high levels of noise that significantly reduce your range.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:39 AM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, I am using a new Berg brand xtal that I got at the same time as the receiver. I may try running the antenna out of the fuse and down the wing possibly to try to help eliminate noise caused by the tail servos and extensions and see if that helps. Thanks! (oh and XJet, don't worry about responding to my same post on the ProBro site.)
Old 09-14-2007, 02:20 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: AKFireMedic
(oh and XJet, don't worry about responding to my same post on the ProBro site.)
Damn, too late! :-)