Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4GHZ RECEIVERS USED IN CRAMPED SPACES???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2.4GHZ RECEIVERS USED IN CRAMPED SPACES???

I have looked at several manufacturer's recomendations for receiver placement using the 2.4Ghz receivers. It seems most, if not all, recommend that the little antenna wires be placed at proper angles and not be touching any other wiring or parts of the servo/receiver/battery wiring. I have several airplanes that are very cramped in the receiver area. Battery/servo wires, etc. run all around the receiver. Using 72Mhz, this is not a problem as the antenna is long and goes for a couple of feet beyond this area. QUESTION: If you are using 2.4Ghz, do you have any experience with the receivers placed right in with all the other wiring? The reason for this question is I am at the point of making the change to 2.4Ghz but have concerns for several of my planes that do not have a lot of open space.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4GHZ RECEIVERS USED IN CRAMPED SPACES???

Tell me about it. That's the reason I haven't bought one yet. Most of my planes have the receiver and battery wedged in together. 2 inch spacing??? No way in my planes.

I think that except for the short range, park flier radios, the 2.4s were designed to cater to the giant and jet pilots that might have $10,000 to lose in the case of a shoot down. I can definitely see where they would want to be on a safe band away from the trainers and kids who might not be as careful as some of us.

I have even e-mailed to Spectrum and Xtreme about this and have not gotten a good answer except 2".
Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

the only 2.4 rx i would be concerned about in a "cramped" space, is the xps. the fasst and spectrum both have extended antennas that can be routed out of the airframe if need be, easily. and, yes, i use both is some very cramped edf and other situations.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:19 PM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Futaba's 2.4G system last May. I have one transmitter and 3 receivers that have been in 5 planes (46 size to GS, glow engines). The 2.4G receiver basically went into the same location as the 72Mh it replaced. The antenna routing was not that difficult once you really looked. Only the "bare" end of the Futaba antenna needs to be kept away from wires, per their specs.

The system has been rock solid in all the planes. I really like it. I plan to get one of Futaba's new transmitters (more channels) later this year.

I did increase the receiver battery capacity. A minimum 1000 mah for a 46 size, 4 servo plane. A 1500 mah for 60 - 90 size planes, a two batteries for larger planes.

Brian
Old 09-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2.4 will tolerate rcvrs. and ants. being right on top servos and escs. much more than the 72 radios. been there and done that with no problems.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Spectrum 7000 and a 6200 it in a Wild Wiz delta and a Tribute 36...pretty cramped and at 100mph with the Delta, as far as you can see, not one glitch in 20 plus flights