Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AM recievers - AM/FM conversions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 AM
fox59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM recievers - AM/FM conversions

GEnts:

Is there a source for 7-8 ch AM recievers? Have older TX's that I want to keep flying (Kraft '73 and ACE micropro 8000 - both single stick) In years past Kraft Midwest had them. I have a call into Peter but he's a busy guy.

Also, can these Tx's be converted to FM?

Thanks!

Fox59
Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AM recievers - AM/FM conversions

There are FM RF decks that can be used in the Micropro, but I can't remember where they come from. Not sure about the Kraft, it would be a little more involved in the conversion, I think. There is a guy that posts here from time to time that works on the older Micropro transmitters, perhaps he'll chime in and let us know where the FM decks can be obtained.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:49 PM
blanchjd

I can't help much on the specific question, but if you're lookig for more help on the Micropro 8000 go to the MP8K Yahoo Users group. There are a lot of people there who can answer you questions.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MP8K/

-Jeff
Old 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM
fizzwater2

I just pulled the back cover off a '73 Kraft, and it's a single piece printed circuit board in there - would be kinda difficult to convert to FM based on what's there.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:37 AM
fox59

Thanks for the replies! The old Kraft will remain a AM Tx. I logged onto the MP8k users forum and have several options. ONe suggestion was to go with the 2.4 GHZ conversion. I must plead ignorance here as I have been out of the mainstream of RC for several years. Whats the advantage with this system? If there is a past post on this just point my nose in the right direction...

BTW - Pete Waters has AM recievers.

fox59 ( I have one of these - it's going in a scratch built Sr Falcon next year)
Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 AM
fizzwater2

The 2.4Ghz stuff is using spread-spectrum technology, where each transmitter has a unique code or frequency hopping scheme, and there's no longer any need for "channel numbers" or frequency pins, etc. Multiple users can be on at the same time without interfering with each other.

Spread spectrum has been around a long time, just not in the R/C world. I haven't made the switch yet, still have too many good 72 mhz receivers and transmitters to put to use, and where I fly, frequency crowding hasn't ever been a problem. If we have 5 or 6 guys out at the flying field on a nice day, that's a crowd.

There are TX modules and receivers out there that will work with existing radios, so you could indeed probably fit one to your MP8K. Since I got my JR 9303 though, I haven't been all that tempted to use my MP8K, the programming and features on the new radios are pretty impressive.