Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX7 Ratings from flyers who have used it

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:42 PM
F-86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX7 Ratings from flyers who have used it

I started this thread on the DX7 because i got a headache wading thru all the old threads trying to get reviews from ACTUAL users. It's been out some time now, and i would like to hear from the real users themselves, not reps please, or hearsay horror stories.

Please tell us the pros and cons. We need a fresh thread with just real reviews. NO ADS PLEASE.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:59 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Spektrum DX7 Ratings from flyers who have used it

G'day Mate,
I have had a DX7 since February 2007, I bought 2 extra RX's so I could equip 3 planes, I have never had the slightest problem with the radio, or receivers.
In may I went to a Scale fun-fly, & had problems with my Yak 54, not working at times after I turned it on, when I got home I checked the switch, & then replaced it, it had corrosion on the contacts, that's why it would work intermittently, it was not a JR or Spektrum switch, by the way.
That is the only problem I have had in 9 months, using the DX7.
I am getting the DSX9 2.4 when it is released here in the middle of October, & giving my DX7 to my partner, Kim, she is already using it in a low wing Skyraider Mk2, she absolutely loves it, now, but it took her some time to get used to the feel of the control response, she was used to a JR X378, so not much change really.
In my Katana 160, I use 2 battery packs, 1 x 1700Mah, & 1 x 1500Mah, because of the digital servos, never had a single problem, at least so far, & there are 7 other DX7 users in our club of 35 members, 3 of which are beginners, that are obviously flying trainers, with the standard 1100 or 850Mah battery packs, I have buddy boxed with 2 of them, & never a problem, at least with the radio, a few problems with dumb thumbs, but the radio can't be blamed for that.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my DX-7 since January 2007 and have used AR7000, AR6100 and AR6000 receivers in a variety of glow and electric planes. I did not use in my gassers because of the lack of flight conditions/modes. The only cons I have with the radio are the trainer switch, the balance point with a neck strap (there is a widget available now to address this), the limited and unfamilar programming, and the JR charging polarity [:'(]. The limited and unfamiliar programming is subjective as I normally fly a Futaba 9z WCII and a Futaba 8U Super... An an example of a programming limitation I was unable to do crow mode on my Ultra Stick, and yes -- I followed the JR 7202 programming from the US manual.

The pros are the availability and the price (Futaba's 8 channel module and receiver cost almost as much as a DX-7 with servos [:@]). Depending upon your point of view the fact that it's from JR/Spektrum and is supported my Horizon Hobby may also be a pro. I personally prefer the Futaba solution and will be selling my Spektrum gear. However, this is a bias that I have and does not reflect any issues that I've had with the radio or receivers. In fact, none of my 5 AR6100 receivers ever gave me any trouble...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:58 AM
v8mini

i've been using mine since march in my trainer(AR7000), and in a shocky (AR6100). with no issues.

i have a couple of odd moments that might have been user error in my early days, but i change battery to a 6v pack to be on the safe side.

very please and would recommend it to anyone

Si
Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 AM
BobMaine

I have a DX7 but have not used it much due to lack of time to fly. From my experiance (plus reading the threads) I see two major (negative) issues: The incomplete and poorly written manual makes it tough for the new flyer to do more than just the basic programming. If you have TX programming experience and/or someone handy to help you with the more complicated mixing you may be OK with it. The other concern mentioned frequently in the forums is RX battery voltage. Many users are warning to keep a close eye on RX battery voltage before every flight and perhaps to upgrade to dual batteries or a six volt battery. A low voltage spike in this receiver shuts down the recevier and you are then in "free flight mode." I lost a new plane on it's third flight because of receiver lockout (perhaps to a binding servo dragging the voltage down for a second?)

There is not much worse in flying than losing control and watching a new plane slowly nose over and head for the ground.

And not a peep/comment/clarification about any issue discussed in these forums from the experts at Spektrum Radio -- the users have had to dig it out by themselves.

If you do read the threads you will see there are those that love the radio and those that don't and are selling it. I don't think you will see as many negative comments about any other radio system or technology like there is for the Spektrum.

For me, I'll hang on to the radio for now but I'm a little disappointed in it.

Caveat emptor.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see anybody here -who does not like em-
all mine work perfectly - no fuss no muss.
the naysayers will always be with us tho -as will those who simply could bust an anvil with a rubber mallet- and those who will not read etc..
Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 AM
BobMaine

I don't think users should have to read in the forums what should have been in the manual...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 AM
rmh

The manual -really could have been better
In their defense, the manuals I have read from JR/Futaba -over the years -are not what I would call "written to the user".
The apparant approach, is still one used by a number of manufacturers : have the engineer /tech write it.
In most cases this is a poor approach
The result is a manual written for those who already know the product. In today's market -a manual for THIS type product needs to have a version written to 3rd grade comprehension level.
No joke.
Look at some of the questions on this forum,if you doubt this.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
GalenB

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson
I don't see anybody here -who does not like em-
I don't like mine, but there is certainly nothing wrong with it...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 AM
rmh

Don't like it -
Interesting response
what don't you like ?
If you had same money to spend on another product -for same application, what would it be?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 AM
jerdavis
My Feedback: (3)

I've been using a DX7 since May. It is used mostlying my gassers and I'm sold on it. I have three of the AR7000 receivers which are rotated amoung the airplane I choose to fly that day. The system has given me no glitches or problems except for an AR6200 receiver that worked for 2 months then would not bind. No problems with the replacement receiver.

I'm looking forward to the module and AR9000 RX to convert my Futaba 9Z to 2.4Ghz

JD
Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Being in the process of switching to the Spektrum/JR programming from having used Futaba, I will say that it is different and I have to keep reminding myself that with the DX-7 I bought to play with until my X9303 gets here, it's a $300 radio and I'm used to using a $1200 Futaba...

So I know what GalenB is talking about.

That being said, I've yet to find another radio in this price range that has the capabilities of the DX-7, not to mention the improved flight characteristics. Some say it's "faster", others say it's a "more connected feel" with the model. Which ever way you choose to describe it, it is there. Even flying my Funtana 90, there is a noticeable difference in the control response compared to my Futaba 9Z.

The problems some have had with the Spektum and low voltage situations are mostly due to operator error and/or not paying attention to the power systems of the models. The problems started showing up first with the electric powered stuff and mostly the smaller models using a BEC to power the rx. The GS electric powered guys have known for a long time that this wasn't a good idea and power the rx's with a separate battery. Then there is the issue of quality/cost/comparisons of the electric stuff, it's so difficult to compare one manufacturer to another with varying descriptions/ratings of their products.

Then there are the glow/gas power guys who have for years used power systems that are not adequate for today's high performance, high torque servos and guess what happens when you slam them all at the same time? The voltage drops and the rx reboots. I think this has been a problem for quite some time and had been written off to "being hit" as the rx in a 72MHz system shuts down and comes back on after the voltage has been restored. The difference is in the time frame it takes for that to happen with the 2.4 systems.

So yeah, it's not a beginner radio from a programming standpoint but it will take you a long way in modeling with it's outstanding capabilities for the price, and the control response is great...
Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 AM
GalenB

what don't you like ?
[ul][*] The balance with a neck strap. Not a big deal and can easily be fixed with one of the several widgets made to address this issue.[*] The rocker/slide switches. Once again -- not a big deal but I don't like them. I really don't like the trainer switch arrangement. [:'(] And I don't like any transmitter that has a push button trainer switch either. [*] The programming is confusing to me and limited. But this is not really a fair comparison as I am used to my Futaba 9Z WCII, and comparing a $200 ish transmitter to an $800 ish transmitter is not a fair comparison. For most people the DX-7 programming is adequate.[*] Reverse polarity JR charging. [:'(] This JR feature has always bothered me -- why didn't they use a different plug?[*] I think the frequency hopping FAAST solution is in theory more robust than DSM2. This is based upon spec reading and not from actual use. In actual use I have never had a glitch or a problem with my DX-7. I have just started using my TM-7 module in my 8U Super so I am starting to get actual usage of FAAST as well.[*] I really prefer Futaba transmitters and don't want to change. This is my somewhat irrational bias, but it does add to my dislike of the DX-7.
[/ul]

None of these are problems that would prevent me from recommending a DX-7 to someone who wanted one. I was simply refuting your point that no one here disliked their DX-7 -- I dislike mine for reasons other than price/performance or robustness in the air.

If you had same money to spend on another product -for same application, what would it be?
For the money there is nothing else in the same class as the DX-7 -- yet. The Futaba 6EX FAAST is not nearly as capable as the DX-7, but it is a little cheaper. And no one has yet seen the 7C FAAST or seen anything from the other manufacturers... To get what I really want I need a Futaba 12z and a TM-14 module. This combo is 5 times the cost of a DX-7 so your point is well taken and valid.

And to be fair the receiver selection from Spektrum is broad in capability and price. It appears that Futaba will only have 6, 7, 8, and 14 channel receivers, and none are as small or affordable as the AR6xxx models...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:16 AM
rmh

I goofed - When I said "here" --I meant amongst my aquaintances here in SLC area.
Thanks for clearing up the "why" .
Personally I really did not like my Futaba Z - -but then I was addicted to my 10 series JR which are dead simple and quick to adjust -- My son liked his 9Z - -as it had more "possible " setups than the !0 X.
For the buck -- the DX7 beats anything I ever had or made as a radio system.
I once flew home made TX tray type ACE based systems using Pro Line sticks - rotary trims - etc..
but the eveolution in electronics passed all that by- quickly
so I played with all th latest n greatest . .
the shift to 2.4 and the little "friendlies" such as Model Match- made th DX7 my all time favorite .
I am awaiting a 9303 2.4- tho frankly I think it is overkill for my stuff. I hand fly my planes -using only mixes needed to setup basics.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Galen,

Those who fell in love with the wicked witch are having difficulty seeing the warts on her nose and seem to be a little arrogant when others recognize her faults.

Momentary low voltage spikes shut Spectrum down at a rather high voltage (reported to be 4.7 volts or so) and an extraordinary long reacquisition time exists. Neither condition should exist. In the hands of the battery clueless and beginners which includes many if not most flyers the flight field becomes dangerous.

Bill
Old 10-02-2007, 11:13 AM
rmh

Bill - your information is not correct -
the published and tested low voltage is 3.5 volts - then the system sees a voltage too low and -like all computers --.resets The 4.7 V is a figure noting that the 4.8 volt battery (ifthat is what is being used ) -has simply been pulled too low - has NOTHING to do with the RX .Nothing/ zip/ nada /nyet.
It is REPORTED-- for those who simply don't understand batteries -because it relates to a dead, 4.8v battery.

If you don't understand that relationship -you or anyone else using ANY 2.4 system is in DEEP DOODOO
Why you keep noting spikes and reset times s is really strange -as you seem to think it only applies to the Spektrum radios
again
not so. The reset time -- if you have a DX2 system and know how to operate it - try the reset time by simply switching rx off n on.
Don't know what your agenda is -
or are you simply stirring the pot?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

BillS,

Who's reported the "shut down at a rather high voltage (reported to be 4.7 volts or so)"?

Spektrum and JR have both indicated that the minimum voltage for the Spread Spectrum systems is at 3.5 volts which is well below the point at which a 4.8 volt battery would be considered dead.

Most of the problems and gripes I've seen people make about these new systems when tracked down, actually involve people who failed to read the manual and/or specs/requirements, had the primary goal of whatever they used being "not too much money" and thought load checking your flight packs before each flight was either unheard of or un-necessary, those "dangerous" guys have been around a long time.

You ought not spread rumors about stuff you're evidently not familiar with on the basis of "I heard"....

Standing by to receive the "rubber mallet" Dick mentioned....
Old 10-02-2007, 12:17 PM
F-86

Again, folks please lets keep this thread confined to ACTUAL USERS of the SPEk DX7 , not to include hearsay. I'm sure there are hearsay truths that can be told, but since there are so many threads on this product I really want this to be a OWNER /OPERATOR PRO CON THREAD ONLY.
Please first hand experience only.

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:47 PM
isabel

My DX-7 is useless. I have put it in a 35% gasser and it almost crashed it (loss of control). On the ground, the problem is reproducible yet when I sent it in for servicing Horizon Hobby refuses to acknowledge a problem. Details: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...tm.htm#6093186

I can understand a defect in a product but the combination of a defect and no support is unacceptable. The end result is I'm out 400$, product on the shelf. I will never buy any other Spektrum product for this reason.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
BobMaine

Spektrum and JR have both indicated that the minimum voltage for the Spread Spectrum systems is at 3.5 volts which is well below the point at which a 4.8 volt battery would be considered dead.

...actually involve people who failed to read the manual and/or specs/requirements...

Could you tell us what page in the manual "we have failed to read" that explains the voltage/lockout problem? And where it mentions the 3.5 volts? There is a blurb on the top of page 102 about the 4.7 voltage "can crash your airplane" but it doesn't mention lockout. Also on page 100 there is WARNING that states "only one transmitter at a time can operate on a given frequency..." and just above that it says "Use frequency flags." This whole section appears to be lifted from a 72 mhz manual and is another indication, to me at least, that Spektrum did a lousy job in writing the manual. If F-86 is going to buy a DX7 he should be aware the manual omits many details and people are asking questions not because they have not read the manual but because the info they need is not in the manual. EXAMPLE: skim the 149 page Spektrum thread and you will see there are lots of questions about binding. What is not in the manual is how to bind with a two wire battery/switch cable. If you buy a second receiver you can't bind with the instructions in the manual UNLESS you buy a three wire switch harness. I don't think a user should have to wade through a 150 page thread on the internet to learn basic stuff that should be in the manual. The manual sucks. Period. That's my experience.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Ed

I have 5 AR-7000's giving me glitch free, rock solid performance.

Best radio that I have ever owned in 50 years of flying R/C.

> Jim
Old 10-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Pathous
My Feedback: (12)

I have 7 Ar 7000's without any glitches. I am using them in combat planes, pylon racers and sport planes. I do agree the binding instructions for 2 wire switches needs to be added into the manual. I have to say the seem resistant to crash damage. Over all I am very happy with my DX 7

Scott
Old 10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
jmohn

I have had several lockouts with the DX6 and DX7 systems. The first couple were using the 6100 reciever and have been resolved by the software update. The other one was while flying my P39. I had a total system lockout and the plane was destroyed. This problem, we think, was caused by the ESC dropping power for a split second and causing the reciever to reset. After salvaging the parts the reciever still worked, but took a long time to "re-link" with the radio. I have had this occur with a 72 mhz system and it just "glitches" and keeps flying. The Spekrum system has to reset which sometimes takes several seconds.

Having said that, I still use the radio and it has otherwise been fine. I definately like having it at uncontrolled fields since I have been shot down there several times by idiots turning on their radios before checking with other people. I also haven't had any "glitches" like I used to have with my 72 mhz radio. I have 10 planes on my DX7 at this time and haven't had issues on my bigger planes since I started using flight packs on them. I should mention all my planes are electric conversion. My largest is a 1/5 scale Nieuport and 120 size Hellcat.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Ed

" This problem, we think, was caused by the ESC dropping power for a split second and causing the reciever to reset."

You can't blame the receiver for your own inability to provide it with the required voltage. If the inferior ESC that you selected is incapable of providing a constant voltage, then it's not Spektrum's fault, it's your fault.

> Jim
Old 10-02-2007, 06:12 PM
rmh

The issue with ESC and the 2.4 radio-is worth mentioning.
For most very small electrics -running properly matched batts /motors/esc and props , there is no problem.
the problem is that too many have no idea what is and what is not a good combo.
Given the info thrown out to electric model users - no real surprise.
Recently some kits make note that an external switching BEC-- OR a discrete battery pack is a good idea.
some ESC have dual BEC - to try and control heat .
If - your setup easily shuts down when hitting higher throttle - it is wrong .
It could be any of the above noted components -sized incorrectly -
get some hands on assistance .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.