Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Who makes the Crystals?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:54 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the Crystals?

Our receivers and transmitters cystals all seem to be in standard configurations. All the cases are the same, the spacing on the connector pins are the same. There are little differences such as some have be protected from grounding both pins at the same time (a little black electricians tape takes care of that).

So who makes the crystals? Don't say JR or Futaba or HiTec. They all sell them that's for sure. I have one sheet from Tiawan that shows compatibility. It intimates that some crystals are closer in tolerance than others. That does not surprise me from my days of industrial engineering where quality screens can be set so that some buyers get the cream of the crop and others get what is left over. Good aold statiscal analysis will do that for the buyer.

Crystals do not have positive or negative shift. The just vibrate at specific frequencies. Multiples of those frequencies (harmonics) are used to regulate the oscillators in the receivers and transmitters. Crystal control oscillators do not drift because of the crystal. True, newer technologies are around like Phase Loop Lock that work just as well but cost a little bit more to build into the receiver (and transmitters like Polks Tracker II).

So if we can unlock the manufacter, we can escape some of the excess prices charged by some brands.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 10-09-2007, 01:21 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who makes the Crystals?

There are lots of crystal manufacturers world wide - and packages have been pretty standard for a lot of years. Not only in RC, but everything else that uses a crystal.

Also, not all of the crystals are overtone or "harmonic" crystals. Some are fundamentals, easier to shift a little, or "pull" to generate FM. Some are series resonant, some are designed to be used in a parallel resonant circuit with external tuning, etc. While you might be able to find the manufacturer (or A manufacturer) to get crystals from, you'll still need the specific characteristics of the crystal that your particular radio circuit was designed around in order to insure compatibility.

For no more crystals than I need, I'll just let the radio supplier sort that out. I used to get small quantity crystals from a place in Oklahoma, I think it was International Crystal or some place like that.

here's a link to just a few.. there's dozens, if not hundreds more out there...

http://www.arrl.org/cgi-bin/tisfind?...L+MANUFACTURER

Old 10-09-2007, 03:33 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great answer.

Cheers,

Chip
Old 10-09-2007, 03:38 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refer to sub section "Crystals, Oscillators & Piezo" under "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" on my web page for details of several manufacturers. More importantly, reasons why you must use the crystal sold or recommended by the manufacturer, of each Transmitter or Receiver, in that particular unit. Other brand crystals may appear to work in some other equipment but will not provide optimum performance and frequently cause problems to user or others.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links