Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

dx7 failsafe settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:43 AM
presso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dx7 failsafe settings

How do i get my elevator and rudder to activate to a preset point if i loose signal.I can get the throttle to go to idle position but not the other 2 servo's?i mustn't be reading the book right.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 AM
alan0899

Default RE: dx7 failsafe settings

G'day Mate,
Only the throttle will go to a preset position, the others stay at their last position.
Don't worry about it, I've been flying with mine since February & never lost signal, just make sure your batteries have enough capacity to handle your servo load & you'll be OK.
Check your batteries with a loaded voltmeter, before you fly & bob's your uncle.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:00 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

• Maintains last-commanded control surface position in the event of RF link interruption.
Note: Fail-safe positions are stored via the stick and switch positions on the transmitter during
binding.
This is on page 18 of the manual. The 2 sentences seem to conflict however. The note seems to say you can do like you want but the other sentence say no.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:40 PM
onewasp

On the subject-----BUT-------off the main line.

I've been at this a VERY long time. I have yet to see a failsafe save an A/C.
Trust me I am all for the throttle down F/S -part but the rest of it is so much useless garbage to me.
Kraft never used one! "The only failsafe that works is to leave it on the ground."

Ex: your making a knife edge reverse-------tell me where anything other than low throttle is worth talking about?
Or----your on a long down line and guess what? Tell me where F/S does anything (excepting the throttle down)? Ditto for straight up? AND everything in between too!

I've seen a number of inconvenient crashes due to F/S but that is it.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

• Maintains last-commanded control surface position in the event of RF link interruption.
Note: Fail-safe positions are stored via the stick and switch positions on the transmitter during
binding.
This is on page 18 of the manual. The 2 sentences seem to conflict however. The note seems to say you can do like you want but the other sentence say no.
It is a bit confusing in that the normal use of the term "failsafe" would leave you to believe that all controls are able to be set. In this case Alan has it right in that a loss of signal will only cause the throttle to retard if that's the way you set it while the other servos will maintain last commanded position.

Perhaps it would have been better if they had explained that the system should have a bind done once again when you're through setting up the model (IIRC that is stated somewhere in there?) with the appropriate servo centers, travel limits and positions you want when the power is turned on to the rx. If you don't do this the servos will be driven to whatever the default position, or last bind position. The classic problem was the guys with retracts who reversed the servo travel in setting up the model. When the rx is powered on and before it links with the tx, the servo would retract the landing gear and then extend it as soon as it linked. You might also see the control surfaces moving as well, so re-bind it after setting it up and when you turn on the rx nothing other than an occasional twitch of the servos will happen.

That's what they mean when they say the failsafe positions are stored during binding, an inappropriate use of the term except for the throttle in this case.