Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why buy Futaba?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:12 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy Futaba?

I have recently been pricing servos and have really compared Futaba to the other brands out there. I know Futaba is a great brand and I have a Futaba radio and several standard and coreless futaba servos.

But when you look at price and stats on the servos the Futabas dont match up to the other brands like Hitec and JR. Price wise they are considerably more expensive. Then when you compare stats, lots of the Futaba servos seem pretty slow.

Is quality that much better than the other brands to justify buying Futaba?

I hope I am not opening up a can of worms here.... or maybe I am
Old 10-14-2007, 06:24 PM
carrellh

Default RE: Why buy Futaba?

My models, and my brother's, are all pretty basic 40 and 60 size sport planes. So, my only experience is with 'standard' servos. I have the eight S3004s that came with my radios. The rest of my servos, and nearly all of my brother's, are Hitec HS425BB (probably 30 servos).

I like all of my servos. I think Hitec gives me slightly more for my money for the type of servos I use.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:51 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I've always bought Futaba when buying radio's and bought Hitec when buying servo's. I've never compared Futaba servo's with Hitec servo's, but I just like the combination.
NEDYOB
Old 10-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Have been flying for about 12 years. Just bought my first futaba servo a couple months ago(not counting servos that came with radios or ones bought installed in used planes). Have never yet bought a new radio yet that wasn't Futaba, and usually end up selling other brands that I get as part of package deals on used equipment. Have bought a lot of FMA servos, and quite a few Hitec. I usually buy the cheapest brand that will serve my needs and that I trust. FMA seems to have backed out of the servo market though, so I'll likely be getting all Hitec now.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I find is that after using the same servos for a while, I have parts for them (gears, arms, etc) which makes repairs and arm replacements more simple.

I use mostly Hitec 55's at this point. Some Blue Birds and Waypoints, but the Hitecs have been the most reliable of that bunch.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 PM
spad4mebaby

Hey I DON'T buy Futaba servos either.
I like the 6ex Fasst. but I passed on the servos. Hitec
Old 10-17-2007, 06:52 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

a Mercedes costs more than a Ford F-150 too......
Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres
but you can't haul a 30% airplane or a 90 sized helicopter in a Mercedes.

I look at specs between Hitec, Futaba and JR, and purchase the cheapest of the three that suits my application. I have helicopters from mini electrics to gassers, and airplanes from foamy electrics to 40% ducted fans and 42% racers.

Rafael
Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Capt Lou

Gringo:

I have been in this hobby 25 years and always bought Futuba Systems. I have always found them to be reliable and reasonably priced. Some of my friends use JR systems and they urged me to try JR so this year I bought a JR XP 6302 PCM with the standard 537 servos. I installed it in a Sig LT40. Now that I have used both Futuba and JR, I don't see any difference in performance between the two brands, and I like them both. However, there is a difference in cost, the JR is more expensive and you get more sytem for your money with Futuba. As an example, Futuba gives you extra servo control arms and hardware with a new system, JR does not so your have to buy any additional screws or control arms. Futuba provides an external charger plug and servo wire extensions with its system and JR requires you to buy them separately and they are expensive expensive. Then, I priced a new flight pack for the JR and found it o be almost as expensive as buying a whole new system with transmitter whereas you can do a lot better with Futuba. I felt that JR is nickle and diming you for every little thing that should have come as part of the total system. In summary, they are both good systems but, in my view, you get more value for your money with Futuba. Regarding the HiTec servos, they have a reputation for being good and very reasonably priced as compared to JR and Futuba servos. Based on price, I don't believe JR and Futuba are attempting to compete with HiTec. I know a lot of 1/4 scale and 3D flyers who use HiTec servos with their JR and Futuba receivers and they swear by its performance. Finally, I also think a lot has to do with what you have been brought up on. I learned on Futuba and continued to gravitate to its product line while others started out with JR and stayed with it.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 AM
tkilwein

I have bought Futaba radio setups since 82 with some others ( JR10, JR galaxy, cirrus) in there as well.

In my time I have bought well over 160+ servos.
I now currently have Futaba 6xh, 9zhps and 14mz for radios. (14MZ SWEET!) Service has been good with Futaba and JR in the past for service-checkups-just plain questions.
I now have a high percentage of Hitec servos with Futaba servos being the second runner up and some cheap servos for the smaller stuff.
Now buying HS5955TG's servos and Futaba RX's for all larger stuff.
The Futaba 14MZ and HS5955TG's are one fast kick @$$ setup!

This is going to be a debate.

Back to the subject, for me Hitec servos for most applications,
1: priced reasonable for the performance (speed and power for larger stuff)
2: The hobby stores here carry a larger selection of Hitec verses Futaba, so you can get it right away.
3: It also seams they have more metal gears than others, my perception only, have not done a exhaustive look.
4: BIG one Have not had one go bad, good reliability over several years. knock on wood.

Just my experiences here.
Tony
Old 10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Rafael23cc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought we were talking about servos !! When did we get into comparing radios?

Rafael
Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 AM
heychas
My Feedback: (38)

I''m a newb waiting to receive a 60 size T-34 mentor. I''m finding all of the servo information a bit overwhelming. I''m not sure how much speed and torque I need for my various control surfaces (i.e., elevator, aileron, rudder, throttle, and flaps). Can someone tell me what speed and torques I should have? What about ball bearings - are they important? Any recommendations for manufacturer and model? Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Charlie
Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Capt Lou

Charlie:

Like anything you buy, you get what you pay for. Regarding the servos, for a .60 size plane, if you already have a Futaba TX/RX, the S3152 servo is good for this size plane. It is digital, can run on 4.8v (4 cells) or 6.0v (5 cell) battery packs, has a ball bearing, and will develop more than enough speed and torque than you will need to fly safely. Speed of the servo is something that may concern you if you fly large scale planes or enter competitions but I doubt you have this issue with a .60 size plane. The amount of torque is important for either the size of the plane or the function you are using the servo on. For example, if you have a large scale plane (28% or larger), on the control surfaces (rudder, aileron, elevator) you will probably need a 200+ oz servo, while for the throttle you can probaly use the S3152 servo. The more torque the servo can develop results in more power it can apply to the surface control and, the larger the plane, the more power is needed. Regarding the ball bearing, this allows the servo gears/control arm to operate more smoothly with less stress and wear. I like it in any servo that is connected to a control surface. Regarding the battery voltage I mentioned, 4.8 volts versus 6.0 volts, you need to check the manufacturer''s specs to see if the particular servo can handle 6.0 volts. Not all servos can step up to the higher voltage. The advantage of the higher voltage is that it increases the the torque and speed of the servo as compared to a 4.8v battery pack and this provides you increased power/torque, if needed, without changing the servo. There is also a theory that having a 6 volt battery pack provides a margin of safety if one of the cells fails as you still have 4.8 volts to operate the servo. Regarding a particular radio system manufacturer to use, this issue is always debated amongst R/C club members and usually focuses on is Futaba or JR better. I''ll let you decide that after you have heard them argue this, but I would recommend that whatever system you purchase invest in a 2.4 Ghz with a 7 channel or larger TX/RX. With the state of technology today, this gives you the flexibility to achieve a higher level of flying without making a large investment in a second system. Also, stay current on battery technology as a good radio system only works as well as its power supply. Most radio manufacturers supply you with minimal but adequate battery power. When you use digital and more powerful servos, you will find that these batteries don''t provide a lot of flying time. Also, battery technology is improving significantly, and the A123 battery is providing the advantage of speed of recharging, safety in charging, and excellent power.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 AM
MR G

I have always used Futaba TX''s w/ Hitec servos.

I have in the past couple of years started using Hitec RX instead of Futaba.

I have never used JR equipment due to it''s expense.

BTW, I don''t believe that Futaba is better than JR, only less expensive.

MR G
Old 04-15-2008, 08:47 AM
mscic-RCU

I use a Futaba radio and buy Hitec receivers and servos.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

Does MB make a truck to compare to a F-150??? Being in the car and truck field for 22 years I can tell you that MB is not what you think it is. But if that is all you can afford go for it.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Julez

I use Futaba radio gear, but have not bought their servos in like 5 years.
When I was a beginner, their standard servos always served me well, but then my planes became more sophisticated, and standards were too big.
I once bought a couple of FS 500 MG micro servos, but most of them failed (jittering).
Now, I buy all kinds of servos.
One servo I really like is this one:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5709

I usually buy one or 2 servos of a kind I do not know, drive them for 1-2h with load on the servo tester, and if they survive and do not have much play after that, I buy more.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hi, I have been using a Multiplex Evo 9 radio and Hitec servos for a long long time. Have not had any problems so far with either the servos or the radio. I now have my first Futuba radio, it is a 12FG 2.4. I will be using my HiTec servos (5955"s) with it as well. I hope I like the radio as much as my Multiplex.time will tell.
But as far as servos go? I think it is what ever you feel good about. I like Hitec''s because they are a super value at the prices they sell for. And also the fact that I live very close to Hitec''s repair and wharehouse on the west coast. So service is so easy, just drive over and drop them off. That is if I ever have any problems.
I can''t speak for the other manufactrures servos as far as that goes.
But remember this...you can have failures on ANYONES equipment. That is just Murphy;s law of mechanics. So do your home work and then use what you feel good about.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 PM
heychas

Capt. Lou et al.,

Thanks for your thorough input! I''ve inherited a JR8103 Tx, but I should have a DX7 coming on another deal, so I think I might use that as my primary radio because of the 2.4.

I still have a few servo questions if anyone has some thoughts:

1) How important is it to have ball bearings? I''ve read servo ratings on this website and some argue the BB are much smoother making for better flight characteristics.

2) Where do you put your best servos? I''ve gathered the throttle can be a cheaper servo. I would assume the flaps could also be inexpensive. It seems like most of your use and loading would be on the ailerons and elevator, hence, would want to have better servos. I doubt most people use the rudder much except for taxing and takeoff, so I would think that could be a cheaper one also.

3) Does digital make that much of an improvement? Capt. Lou made an argument for them. I''ve read servo ratings where people talked about servos not coming back to center. I may not be an engineer, but that sounds like it would make the plane difficult to fly well.

Thanks for anyones thoughts on these questions!

- Charlie
Old 04-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Capt Lou

Charlie:

As in any hobby, if you have 100 participants, you''ll get 100 different answers. How important are ball bearings? I would base this answer on your type of flying. If you are only flying .60 sport planes, they aren''t necessary. They may make a slight difference over time on the gear wear but that is long term and you''ll probably would have stepped up to a bigger plane by then which requires a different system. What you should consider, and this applies to the decision to use digital servos as well, is that you only want to invest in the servo once, so get something that will allow you to step up to your next plane without having to buy a new replacement because your current servo can''t meet your need. Regarding what is the best servo, this is determined by critical load factors on your control surfaces. The most stress/load is going to be on your rudder and elevator and this is where you need a higher torque servo. Ailerons also need good servos but they don''t have as high a load factor as the rudder/elevator. Let me give you an example, I have a project for a 50cc gas plane that calls for a minimun 120 ozs for the ailerons and 180 ozs for the rudder/elevator. The throttle doesn''t have a lot of stress so I can use a standard 50 oz servo. Regarding digital or analog servos, everyone I know who is an electronicc techie tell me to go digital. They say the digital is more reliable, faster and more responsive, and easier to fine tune. The negative on digital is that they draw more battery current so you need to have more capacity in your flight battery pack which may add wieght to the plane. However, if you are only doing .60 sport flying, the analog servo will meet your needs. By the way, you''ll like the DX 7. If you can afford it, I would convert my entire fleet of planes to 2.4 ghz. This usually only requires the replacement of the receiver as the DX 7 allows you to run multiple planes on the same transmitter.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM
heychas

Capt Lou,

Thank you for your detailed and extensive explanation! I find it very helpful! It is people, like you, that make this a great community!

Thanks again,

Charlie
Old 04-16-2008, 10:46 AM
capitan-d

I purchased a futaba 6ex system and while wating for it to arrive I looked at a ''used'' nib jr 7202. I (asap) returned the futaba and picked up the jr. Compare the smoothness of the gimbals and the overall feel of the two. The jr makes the futaba feel like a tyco radio from a $20 wal-mart rc.

The fake chrome on the futaba radios looks compleatly stupid.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just me, but I have had Futaba servo motors just die with no warning - but in all fairness, these were early coreless motors, and I doubt if they''re like that now. This was a long time ago... but since then I''ve used mostly Hitec, JR, and quite a few of the older S148 servos (standard size). The S148''s came with the conquest radio - my dad used to buy a new radio for each new plane, so I''ve inherited a batch of S148 servos which have served well in sport planes.

My race planes have been mostly JR 3021''s or Hitec 205 or 225 servos. Toss in a few JR 341 or Hitec HS81''s for throttles.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM
petey156

personally I have beat on all on 4 major brands, Futaba, Hitec, Hobbico, and JR,

I am really hard on stuff!!
i feel that JR's are the most durable case and gear, I have never broke a JR case or gear, and i have broke a lot of hobbico gears, and a lot of futaba cases. i mainly use standard size regualar servo about $20 a servo..ss
Preston