Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What do old timers think about 2.4Ghz?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 PM
3D 4 ME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do old timers think about 2.4Ghz?

I love the benefits of 2.4Ghz technology. But what does the older crowd think about it? Is it disgraceful or is it cool?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: What do old timers think about 2.4Ghz?

Define "older"
Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've been in modeling since i was 7 yrs old, am now 52, guess that makes me an old timer eh?
2.4GHz radios and ARF's are what brought me back after a 15 year layoff.................no more frequency conflicts, can even fly at school yards on occasion.
but as i have a pretty good investments in 4 stroke twins and singles, i don't fear the local idiot shooting me down now.
last weekend i put in 4 flights (although short ones do to chineese motor flameouts) in a row without having to give up the paddle (we have 4 paddles for 2.4 at our field) so someone else could fly.

2.4Ghz is to RC what Super Glue was to us competition Free Flighters back in the 70's.....................meaning that we could do instant field repairs and go on to kick out competitors butt..................all good my friend.

the only drag is how it takes my radios a bit of time to link up when at the house to do adjustments as my router and wireless phones cause a delay. other than that, you can't beat it.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

You're not old yet summerwind. You probably don't fly in plaid pants that come up to your armpits.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 PM
nxtdoor
My Feedback: (10)

I am like summerwind; started at 8, am now 50. Built my first radio(Heathkit) if you young ones know that name. Me, I just bought a 72 mhz Futaba 12FG. Still waiting to see what happens with 2.4 in the next year. Not ready to beta test for a manufacturer. I know a lot of people are satisfied it works, but am just a little careful. Have a lot of 72mhz receivers I am not ready to throw out either. Will buy the 2.4 module and receiver when I read enough to satisfy me it's as good as 72mhz. I know this is tempting fate but have never been shot down in over 40 years of flying. As a matter of fact, in that 40 years, have only seen 3 actual shoot downs that were verified. I have seen more mid airs than that!

Will adopt in the next year or so as an option to my 72mhz stuff.

Sorry, don't own plaid pants.

Jeff
Old 10-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm 55 and I'm still waiting for them to get the bugs out of those darn color TVs before I buy one!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
PlaneHeli

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Well, I'm 55 and I'm still waiting for them to get the bugs out of those darn color TVs before I buy one!
Nice one, made me smile.

You cant go rushing into these things.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I too am 50 - my first RC was a heathkit in 1973.

The deals right now on good 72MHz equipment are too good to pass up. For those of us with the good fortune to fly at fields that aren't crowded, 72MHz still works for the time being.

As an engineer, I'll eventually want to try out the 2.4GHz stuff - I'll just watch for now.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Ed

Greatest thing since Galloping Ghost !
Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Redback

Galloping Ghost, now there you're talking!!!

Remeber one guy flying this when I was a kid and all we had was free flight and control line.

I guess turning 60 last birthday makes me an old timer, though I can't really say that I feel it.

As far as 2.4GHz is concerned, I see it as the future. I have a DX7 and a module for my JR X388S, but like the DX7 so much have yet to use the module.

I have six 2.4GHz receivers of which I have installed four in planes ranging from a 30% Edge 540 to a trainer. One of the others will probably go into an ESM FW190 that's awaiting assembly.

So far no problems.

Terry
Old 10-15-2007, 11:13 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: GeeBeeJim

Greatest thing since Galloping Ghost !
hey those were not only fun to fly, but what a challenge to set up.
Ace was the last good units that i recall..................
Old 10-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Bad_Daddy

2.4 GHz is a great thing, especially for me! I own 4 Futaba radios in 72 MHz, 1 Futaba in the 75 MHz band and over a dozen receivers to fit my more than a dozen airplanes and cars. As the rest of you go to 2.4 GHz, my frequencies become less used and more secure, and there are plenty of great deals to be found, too! YIPPEE!

I'll wait until the 2.4 GHz manufacturers settle on a frequency selection scheme before I seriously consider replacing all my equipment. It's a great leap in technology, but I'm not interested in buying into anyone's monopoly scheme. In other words, I like the ability to use a Hitec RX or a Corona or a Castle or a Futaba because they all use the same frequency filtering schemes.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:30 AM
PJ_TankPilot

I flew RC the first time in 1957 so I think I am in the ‘older crowd’. The equipment was expensive and unreliable. The aircraft was a guided (sometimes) free flight that ended up in a tree about half the flights.

Then came solid state tone equipment and servos. Still expensive but now reliable. It was more fun than frustration.

Like most electronic stuff, the price/function improvements just keep coming.

I normally wait years until new technology has settled and the price lowers. However, for RC technology, I don’t and have never regretted it. I am doing a big change from Futaba 9C PCM to JR X9303 2.4.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:22 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Jeff,
My track record with 72Mhz is like yours, but I'm certainly considering a FASST module for my 9Cs.
Your new 12FG is an awesome radio, I've read two very good reviews on the radio.
I think Futaba is on the right track by keeping their new high end radios modular. If you do go with the Futaba TM-14 module you will then have a 14 channel "native" 2.4Ghz radio, as opposed to the conversion modules available for my 9C, or other older radios where PPM is converted in the module to the FASST 2048, or Spektrum protocol.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I'm an old fart
Pete
Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I started RC at 25 and am now 80 so I guess that makes me an old timer.
I think 2.4 is the answer. I am getting rid of my 72 stuff.
The really big thing is the increased bandwidth and nothing has yet been done to take advantage of that
Old 10-16-2007, 10:26 AM
onewasp

These "old timers" who are still in their fifties only THINK they've spent some time on this planet.

I've been flying RC for 48 of those years, 27MHz, 72MHz and 30 plus years on six meters.
I've had a 'whole big bunch' of mostly premium radios and originally built my own from schematics published by John Worth.

I am a Spektrum DX7 flier (converted from a JR 10X) 11 months ago and it is without question the best performing radio I've ever owned.
Sure, you can point to the bells an whistles on the 10X and other 'Super Radios' but for downright C-O-N-T-R-O-L you can't beat it--------period!!!!!!

Will I move on to the X9303 or 12X ----- time will tell but I'm afraid that decision will be based more upon the "Look at this" factor than any real need on my part as I fly Precision Aerobatics and the DX7 has everything I need for that venue.

'calls 'em the way I sees 'em--------------
Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Ed

I mentioned Galloping Ghost, but before that it was escapements, and you better not forget to wind the rubber band ! [] Ace's Grid Leaks, John Worth, and Ed Lorenz were just a few of the pioneers in the hobby. Gottcha by two years Waspy, been doin it for 50. Also flew on 27 Mhz superregen, and then superhet, TTPW, 6 meters, etc, etc, etc. Built most of the stuff myself ...... ( Maybe that's why it was never reliable )

The Spektrum DX-7 / AR-7000 combinations that I use today, are heads & tails over anything that I have ever flown in the past 50 years. I've got it in 5 Giant scalies that are providing me with glitch free, rock solid performance, day in and day out, and personally, I like the backing of the JR / Horizon conglomerate the best.

> Jim
Old 10-16-2007, 12:56 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Bass1

Seems like I heard about them new TV thingies on one of them thar commercial breaks during the "Shadow" the other night.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 PM
onewasp

"No one knows what evil lurks in the heart of men------but the Shadow does!"
Old 10-16-2007, 03:31 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: GeeBeeJim

I mentioned Galloping Ghost, but before that it was escapements, and you better not forget to wind the rubber band ! [] Ace's Grid Leaks, John Worth, and Ed Lorenz were just a few of the pioneers in the hobby. Gottcha by two years Waspy, been doin it for 50. Also flew on 27 Mhz superregen, and then superhet, TTPW, 6 meters, etc, etc, etc. Built most of the stuff myself ...... ( Maybe that's why it was never reliable )

The Spektrum DX-7 / AR-7000 combinations that I use today, are heads & tails over anything that I have ever flown in the past 50 years. I've got it in 5 Giant scalies that are providing me with glitch free, rock solid performance, day in and day out, and personally, I like the backing of the JR / Horizon conglomerate the best.

> Jim
Jim,

We've got to be careful or the old guys at the field will get on here.[]
Old 10-16-2007, 03:40 PM
codimasta
My Feedback: (89)

At 75 I think I qualify as an old timer...Well, I can say that I have seen it all...Starting out with a Kraft Single Channel..progressing to Orbit relayless system...then on to the Orbit analog proportional system...then to the Proline system....Kraft systems AM & FM....Futaba FM...to JR PCM...then Spectrum DX-7....
Of all the frequencies...465 mhz...27 mhz...50 mhz....72 mhz...the 2.4 ghz system is far superior to the rest. Each new system has its merits...but I think that the 2.4 system has eliminated all the problems that the other systems has had. Each manufacture has tried to do the best... Spectrum/JR....Futaba...& Extreme..has address the short falls of the other sytems...which is best..only time will tell...I feel that they are all good. I am waiting for my new JR 9303 2.4, to be delivered toward the end of the month, mean while I will continue to fly with the Spectrum DX-7.

Codimasta
AMA 11269
Old 10-16-2007, 04:13 PM
RussWisc

I got my 1st radio in 1976 and haveing fun ever sence .. then came the 80s out the window with all your radios you need a narrow band ONLY to fly at a AMA field ,, 2.4G is nice no channels ... but untill prices come down i will use my JR 9303 scan RX any Ch ,,, and please dont ask to do away with 72mhz and go 2.4g only like the 80s with narrow band
Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 PM
onewasp

{Quote}

At 75 I think I qualify as an old timer..

{Quote}

Yep that does qualify, but you're in the second tier
Old 10-16-2007, 04:57 PM
brc51

Im old but not dead,2.4g is nice but pricey,but all systems when they came out were and ive bought many systems and different radios and can count 8 right now that i own. i just bought one and have had no problems except price and i usually like to have a radio for every plane and boat so when visitors come down we all can run or fly more than one at a time and price right now i cant do that. and alot of us old timers have our favorite radio that has not let us down,but as they get too old ill replace them with the 2.4g but by that time there will probably be something new and supposed to be better.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: onewasp

Jim,

We've got to be careful or the old guys at the field will get on here.[]

Did I mention that my first radio was a crystal set, and that the parts were given to me by an old Italian gent by the name of Marconi ?

> Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.