Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Optic 6 and trainer cord

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Optic 6 and trainer cord

I have run into a problem trying to use a trainer cord with an Optic6. The aircraft has a JR reciever (positive shift), a Hitec trainer cord (Master and Slave marked on ends) and an Eclipse for a slave. The Optic 6 is set to positive shift to match the JR reciever as is the Eclipse. Now, used singly both the Optic6 and Eclipse operate the system fine but, using the Eclipse as a slave (after removing the Spectra Module from the Eclipse) the operation can not be obtained by the slave when the Optic6 trainer switch is held ON. Two different Hitec trainer cords were tried to make sure it was not a trainer cord problem. I suspect that the problem is within the optic6 with a defect either in the wiring in the switch or connector internal to the Optic6. Has anyone else experience any such problems? If so what was the result? Any comments appreciated. I hesitate to open up the Optic6 transmitter as it does not belong to me but I suspect perhaps either the ground (shield) connection or 9.6 volt line is not being completed. If anyone has a schematic of the innards of that portion of the Optic6 I'd appreciate the info. Thanks/
Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Optic 6 and trainer cord

ORIGINAL: Rodney I have run into a problem trying to use a trainer cord with an Optic6. The aircraft has a JR reciever (positive shift), a Hitec trainer cord (Master and Slave marked on ends) and an Eclipse for a slave. The Optic 6 is set to positive shift to match the JR reciever as is the Eclipse. Now, used singly both the Optic6 and Eclipse operate the system fine but, using the Eclipse as a slave (after removing the Spectra Module from the Eclipse) the operation can not be obtained by the slave when the Optic6 trainer switch is held ON. Two different Hitec trainer cords were tried to make sure it was not a trainer cord problem. I suspect that the problem is within the optic6 with a defect either in the wiring in the switch or connector internal to the Optic6. Has anyone else experience any such problems? If so what was the result? Any comments appreciated. I hesitate to open up the Optic6 transmitter as it does not belong to me but I suspect perhaps either the ground (shield) connection or 9.6 volt line is not being completed. If anyone has a schematic of the innards of that portion of the Optic6 I'd appreciate the info. Thanks/
Both the Optic 6 and the Eclipse must be set to "PPM" & "SFT:P" (Positive) shift and whilst not turned on, the battery must remain in the Eclipse to power the screen and board.
Refer to Hitec Buddy - Trainer Box compatibility & battery requirements
also worth noting Hitec Trainer (Buddy) System Update - New "Stereo Plug" system and how to use
Further information under "Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." on my web page.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 10-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Rodney

Quote:Both the Optic 6 and the Eclipse must be set to "PPM" & "SFT:P" (Positive) shift and whilst not turned on, the battery must remain in the Eclipse to power the screen and board.
These conditions were met and still no success.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:33 PM
olivier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Could the receiver be of the TSR-type (Transmitter-Signal-Recognition)?
It is known that these receivers cannot be used for buddy-box purposes, because the slave transmitter has another "signature" than the master and the signal will not be accepted by that type of receiver.

On a Din-connector of the same type on Futaba transmitters, it is known that sometimes the shield of the buddy connector has no contact with the lip of the female connector of the transmitter. With the help of a screwdriver, gently force that lip on the female connector more to the centre of the connector. But not sure it can be the case on a Hitec, because the centre pin of the DIN-connector is also connected to the shield/ground...

Olivier
Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 AM
Rodney

I do not believe the receiver has any transmitter recognition problems as, as stated originally, both transmitters operate the receiver fine when used alone or as a master. It is only when you try to use something other than the Optic6 as a slave that the slave does not work. The only combination that has not been tried is to use two Optic6's with one as a slave as we have no access to a second Optic6.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:40 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Rodney I do not believe the receiver has any transmitter recognition problems as, as stated originally, both transmitters operate the receiver fine when used alone or as a master. It is only when you try to use something other than the Optic6 as a slave that the slave does not work. The only combination that has not been tried is to use two Optic6's with one as a slave as we have no access to a second Optic6.
Olivier is correct, you have not disclosed which brand and model number of receiver is being used. PLL, IPD and similar modern receivers will work well with either of those transmitters when they are used severally, but those types of receivers will not permit the use of two different Hitec transmitters used in a trainer / buddy configuration. e.g. Berg/Castle Creations FAQ #18 quote"
"18. Can my Berg receiver be used with a buddy box?
Yes and no. It’s totally dependent on which method your master transmitter uses. It will work if the master only looks at the slave transmitter’s stick movements. If the master allows the slave transmitter to do its own processing though, it will not work. To find out which of these pertains to you contact your transmitter manufacturer or simply test it out yourself." see also
IPD (Intelligent Pulse Decoding) Receivers - FAQ
Further information under "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ:" sub section "Receiver - FAQ, guides and aids to best reception" amongst others, on my web page
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links