Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

My horror Story DX7

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:00 PM
drkwang747
My Feedback: (167)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My horror Story DX7

Yesterday I went down to a little local field(Apollo Field at VanNuys C.A)to fly my new PC9 Tucano for maiden flight.It has stock DS821 servos,AR7100 receiver,and 6V(two weeks ago I crashed due to 4.8V battery). This bird really nice and has all the spektrum stuff except RX battery on it. Anyway, I took off went up and immediately went inverted to the left in. I got no control and just dropped from the sky. By now the airplane is over a busy road that borders on one end of the field. It falls to the road. My friend and I ran over to the end field as fast as we could. By the time we got down to the road and was looking around for it, there is was on the side of the road run over flat as a pancake. The entire model and all the components completely destoyed. Holly &%#! I can't believe it. No crash could possible be this bad! !

OK, Dx7 guys what do you say was the problem? Power, And what's with the 7100 issues. Those are just weird. I've been using DX7 since first came out on the market. This is 2nd crash because of the DX7.

Of course, Horizon said send it in, we'll check it out. But, that's a 3 week turnaround, and I bet $50.00 it comes back with no problems. Don't get me wrong, it's going back, but I'm not very hopeful that they find anything, especially after reading some of the other storys on this forum. I flew 10 different airplane and two heli with DX7. Some of them over 2K. I really scared to fly DX7 now.
After I bought DX7,my 14mz collecting dust. I guess that it's time to use 14mz now.

BTW,my friend flew yesterday Dx7,AR7100,and 6v battery. He got lockout about 4times. But it was about 2 or 3 second lockout. He managed to land safely. Any possibility field problem?

I really want to know why this happen in these days.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My horror Story DX7

The AR7100 receiver must be something new. It's not listed on Horizon website. Is it the AR6100 receiver that you used?

Allan
Old 10-20-2007, 03:00 PM
drkwang747

Oh,sorry. It's AR7000
Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 PM
onewasp

Guess it's a case of: "Some folks can screw up a steel ball!"

You've already taken your position. To wit the title: "My horror Story DX7."

Since you say that you are an experienced DX7 user then you have to know that there are "errors of logic" ---yours not theirs--- which can crash anything------on any frequency etc. and I am not referencing off field/on field RFI.

The fact that you took this position ("My horror Story DX7") yet were careless enough to reference an Rx type which does not exist says a lot about your attention to detail----or lack thereof. Sorry, but you wrote it.[X(]

In fact, I am sorry to hear of anyones crash---------!
But the fact is that it is far more likely to be you rather than anything else.

You may get sympathy points for first going to an RCU Forum and publishing your statement but any real help and analysis will have to come from Horizon. And you've already written them off with your:
"Of course, Horizon said send it in, we'll check it out. But, that's a 3 week turnaround, and I bet $50.00 it comes back with no problems."

What did you expect for a reply from people who fly the radio without problems and have nothing to go by ----save for the facts (AR7100???) you posted?
Not to mention the fact that for me Horizon has always 'gone the extra mile' whenever I have contacted them for any sort of help.

Again, ANY RCer is sorry for the crash------I hope you are able to firmly and accurately ID the cause and correct it.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By now the airplane is over a busy road that borders on one end of the field. It falls to the road. My friend and I ran over to the end field as fast as we could. By the time we got down to the road and was looking around for it, there is was on the side of the road run over flat as a pancake. The entire model and all the components completely destoyed. Holly &%#! I can't believe it. No crash could possible be this bad! !
My first thought is, I very glad that a car wasn't hit by the airplane. My second thought is how can the receiver be tested if "The entire model and all the components completely destoyed." Sounds to me that no matter what Horizon does or offers for this siuation, it won't be good enough to satisfy. Here's another "horror story" in the making.

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:07 AM
drkwang747

Thank you for your great advice. Wow,I feel like I am doing somthing really bad. I have 12 spektrum receivers. I just mistyped. Is that a big problem?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:49 AM
saramos

Why not fly with a Spektrum Flight Log and have a better picture of what's going on?
Oops, just noticed that it requres the SPMAR9000 receiver.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:44 AM
RCBANDIT85

Hi guys i have only ever had one problem with my DX7 and that was because the rx battery pack run low and i got lockout, this is now solved and the radio is perfect, 2.4GHZ system is bullet proof so if the plane/helicopter crashers its not the DX7 radios fault its the pilots fault. if you do the range test and it works ur radio is working and you will not lose signal.

Happy flying

DX7 is great.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:13 PM
drkwang747

I just heard that my friend crashed another airplane at the same field. 6V brand new battery,AR7000,DX7,and range checked O.K. But lock out. This is somthing weird.
I was so scared when I crashed into the busy road. If you never had that situation,you won't understand how I felt about trusty 2.4ghz. I just want you guys give you thought about out R/C can be very dangerous. That's it. I sent my radio.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:10 PM
airbusdrvr

I think I would find a new flying field.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
canavanbob
My Feedback: (20)

Don't worry about the Spektrum "fanboys" your story is very interesting. I was thinking of buying Spektrum, but no way now.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob
Old 10-22-2007, 03:04 PM
alanrw

Well, the fact that it went into a left inverted position might indicate a bum servo or a bad clevis. To say it is the radio might be an oversimplification. YOu could have a multitude of possibilities not limited to bad battery (intermitant short), defective connector either in the servo, servo leads, switch harness (again, intermittant open). At this point, you have to do a real careful autopsy to figure out what went wrong here. Unfortunately, some of the evidence could have been consumed in the enusing crash.

alan
Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

[quote][/Don't worry about the Spektrum "fanboys" your story is very interesting. I was thinking of buying Spektrum, but no way now.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob

I have around four hundred flights on a Spectrum. Not even a glitch. Are you trying to say that no one has ever crashed on 72, for whatever reason

Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 PM
hunter306

ORIGINAL: canavanbob

Don't worry about the Spektrum "fanboys" your story is very interesting. I was thinking of buying Spektrum, but no way now.
Thanks for sharing.
Bob
It's interesting that one story could sway an opinion of someone so easily. I've owned a DX6, DX3, Spektrum Pro Module in my Z1, and the new DX7. Its obvious that there were some early glitches with the system, but there are bound to be with introduction of a new product.

It's sad to see anyone dismiss a radio/equipment on a single user's experience.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I heard a Jr 8611 locked over so Im not ever getting anything from Jr again--Yesterday I read that a guy had some glitches with his Futaba 2.4 so I can cross them off my list too--Futaba servos? Not for me--had one strip some gears so I ain't gettin any of those ever..Dont even get me started about Hitec--No way you will find anything made by them in my planes--had a Dubro switch fail too--no more Dubro stuff--my buddy had a Sullivan tank leak on him--and on Sunday some ultracote came off so Im not ever getting any of that anymore

Sorry couldn't resist---[8D]
Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 AM
canavanbob

Sorry, couldn't resist--- I never had any intention of getting a Spektrum. I would get a Futaba first.
I'm an XPS fanboy.[8D]
Bob
Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 AM
turboromy

I remember seeing the crash like 2-3 weeks ago right next to the woodley. Thought it was a simple pilot error but while researching for my problem, I realized we share the same issue.
A week ago, after a nice flight, my 2nd flight ended right after take off, cause DX7 completely froze right after I applied power and pulled back. The plane climbed for about 100 feet and made slow descent over like 5 turns and bam! Guess it took at least 10 seconds till it crashed.

I use DX7 as it came and won't bother writing details. Many said it is a "battery issue" and it should NOT be used.

MOST of my flights with DX7 HAD glitches. But, those glitches except for the final one was relatively short..... no more than 2-3 seconds and only occured at max throttle. Soon, I realized how to deal with it, but the last glitch was totally different since the engine quit right after take off. (I suspect the throttle servo went to lowest position as the system failed)

Now, I am very afraid using this DX7 despite the convenience, and do NOT recommend it until the company make some explanation on the repeating troubles over many modellers.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 AM
canavanbob

Maybe Paul Beard will come on here and help sort out what is going on with his systems.
Bob
Old 10-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Sorry, couldn't resist--- I never had any intention of getting a Spektrum. I would get a Futaba first.
I'm an XPS fanboy.[8D]
Bob
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I once had a fish in a bowl but he died -I think the fish seller owes me a new fish

PS how much water should I have put in the bowl?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:11 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

I once had a fish in a bowl but he died -I think the fish seller owes me a new fish

If you put water in it, wouldn't it be a water bowl?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM
bass0matic

Digital servos with a 4.8 battery? Hello, use a 6 volt
Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 PM
turboromy

How exactly have you resolved RX battery problem ?

This is almost a common sense now in Spektrum community, since I heard such comments so many times. Just wondering what specific battery you switched to.

I lost my good plane 2 weeks ago after a Spektrum lockout on the 2nd flight after a full charge.

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-24-2007, 12:12 AM
yakman

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Could you tell the difference if it committed suicide?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:41 AM
alan0899

Thanks for sharing.
Bob

G'day Mate,
So because you read about 1 person's plane crashed, & he happened to have a Spektrum system installed, you ahve decided not to go with the DX7.
OK tell me this, have you ever heard of any other plane crashing with a conventional radio system installed, if the answer is yes, & it should be, does that mean that you won't use a radio, of any persuasion, because your plane may crash?
No, is the answer, so get over it, he had a battery or switch, or servo's reversed or faulty lead, or whatever, but it does NOT mean his radio failed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.