Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A CLARIFYING QUESTION JR/SPECKTRUM BINDING

Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A CLARIFYING QUESTION JR/SPECKTRUM BINDING

I am switching from Futaba/Hitec to the JR/Spektrum on a couple of airplanes. On the AR7000 and R921, after binding when using the Batt(AR7000) or Batt/Bind(R921) terminal on the receiver, where does the battery power plug in? For normal operation is it left in the binding port or moved to an unused channel as with standard type receivers?
Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A CLARIFYING QUESTION JR/SPECKTRUM BINDING

You remove the binding plug and plug the battery into the battery port. Or if you have a Spektrum switch you can bind off of the charge port on the switch. Dennis
Old 10-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Power can go into any available port as with other rx's.

However you can only bind with the ports so labeled and it requires a three wire switch/Y harness to that port, or direct access to that port, in order to accomplish binding. All you're doing when you insert the bind plug is to connect the neg and signal wire pins of that port on the rx together.

Same is true of the batt/data port on the R921, you can only use that port for the data logger and it must also be a three wire connection or direct access. Since you must either run the data logger onboard, or plug it in before shutting down either the tx or rx, some sort of three wire connection there would also be needed.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 PM
airbusdrvr

Thanks, I have it figured out. I called a friend last evening who had also just switched over to JR 2.4Ghz. He was mistaken in telling me that the Batt/Bind position was only for binding and that the battery could not be connected to that postion during normal flight operation. Today at my flying field I spoke with a couple other Spektrum/JR users and was given the proper battery connection info. Thanks Guys
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Zeeb

You're welcome....

One other thing you should do that's not really covered too well in the manuals. Once the model is setup, you need to rebind it so any changes in servo travel direction, matched channels i.e. dual elevator servos, gear retract servos, etc. don't do anything weird when you first turn on the rx and before it links to the tx.

The classic problem is those with retracts and reversed servo travel, turn on the rx and the gear retracts, then when it connects to the tx the gear extends. Or you get significant elevator deflections in opposite directions, stuff like that.

So once setup, or if you make any significant changes to the programming you should rebind. This is also where you set the failsafe mode which in this case is a bit misleading as that mode only moves the throttle to whatever position you set when binding, all other controls remain at last commanded position. The R921 and AR 9000/9100 rx's can be set to move the controls to a preset position, i.e. controls to neutral and throttle retarded when binding, but it's a slightly bit different procedure than the regular binding and does not apply to any other Spektrum rx's, i.e. the AR7000. Can't remember exactly what they call it right now, but check your manual for the specifics.

Having moved to the Spektrum stuff a few months ago from Futaba, and now to the new X9303 it has been a bit of a learning curve for me on the programming, but I'm gradually getting there. On that note, as you make significant progress on your programming, I'd suggest you copy it to a blank slot. Then if something gets "screwed up" while you tinker with things, you don't have to start over. Ask me how I found out this is a good idea????[>:]

Oh, you're gona love that radio....
Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 AM
airbusdrvr

Zeeb, good idea on copying. I assume you mean to an unused model position. Since most of us won't need the thirty models, the more complicated/time consuming models could be copied to an unused position.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Zeeb

Exactly, an unused slot. I keep a copy of each of the models programmed since as you say, 30 models is way more than I have right now or even 15.

After an experience at the field with my DX-7 where I inadvertently copied over a model by pushing the wrong button at the right time, I started doing it on the DX-7. The JR programming is enough different that I've not yet quite learned it, but the copying is making it less painful. It's also useful when you start programming mixes to get rid of any undesirable flight characteristics, if you screw up it's a pretty simple deal to use the copied model to overwrite your screw up instead of starting over from scratch.

When setting up the X9303 on one of my gassers, I thought I'd been copying as I went along but low and behold while trying to setup the ailerons for the triple rates in Flight Mode, I messed up the rudder and I'd not copied that setup. So it's pull the wings back off, pull the elevator/stabs off (my cradle won't allow the model to be turned on it's side with those attached) and redo the rudder deflections.

Just did that yesterday, you'd think I'd have learned by now....