Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 FlipFlopper

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:56 PM
PJ_TankPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 FlipFlopper

I am not a politician but I may become a FlipFlopper.

I had made a firm decision to migrate from Futaba 9C to JR X9303. Then I found out the availability of the X9303.

I continued my research, including talking to a very knowledgeable friend who is flying some fast and expensive aircraft with a Futaba 6EX. He explained all the deficiencies.

I decided to do a 2.4 taste test with a 6EX. It is only 2 hundred bucks without servos that I do not want anyway.

I installed the tiny, single receiver. Except for sub-trim, I entered all the values from my 9C into the 6EX, including aileron differential. Eezy Peezy.

The plane flys just like it did before. The only problem I have is not seeing an antenna in my field of view. It took a long time to develop the habit of extending my antenna and it is not easy getting used to it not being there. The transmitter balance is changed but that was not a problem.

I may flip my decision on the X9303.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:04 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 FlipFlopper

ORIGINAL: PJ_TankPilot
I continued my research, including talking to a very knowledgeable friend who is flying some fast and expensive aircraft with a Futaba 6EX. He explained all the deficiencies.
Deficiencies of what? The JR/Specktrum implementation? Do you care to elaborate on these deficiencies? Others may find your decision process interesting.

Personally I sold my all of my Spektrum gear (DX-7 and receivers) and am flying a TM-7 FASST module in my trusty old Futaba 8U Super... So far so good. My only complaints are: the time Futaba is taking bringing their products to market, and the lack of a dedicated battery port on the 607FS receiver... I am unsure if I want to Y in two batteries for my standard 30% set up...
Old 11-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Well I switched over to the 9303 from the 9c and so far I like the 9303 MUCH better--IMO the 9303 programming is easier and has more features--never thought I would say that cause I really like the 9C....I haven't flown it yet so I cant comment on the 2.4.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Ed

Yup ! ........ Programing is easier, and I have to beleive that it's a nicer package. Been using Futaba all my R/C life, but in recent years, I've felt that JR was offering more.
Made the switch to Spektrum/JR, and never looked back.

> Jim
Old 11-06-2007, 08:16 AM
PJ_TankPilot

ORIGINAL: GalenB
Deficiencies of what?
Deficiencies comparing the 6EX to the 9C.

The items that affect me:
[ul][*]No Sub-Trim[*]Xmitter Sticks more slop[*]Dual Rate and Expo same in both directions[*]All Dual Rates on one switch
[/ul]
They are deficiencies that I would expect in an entry level radio. I have not done any mixing yet so I cannot compare it.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PJ_TankPilot

ORIGINAL: GalenB
Deficiencies of what?
Deficiencies comparing the 6EX to the 9C.

The items that affect me:
[ul][*]No Sub-Trim[*]Xmitter Sticks more slop[*]Dual Rate and Expo same in both directions[*]All Dual Rates on one switch
[/ul]
They are deficiencies that I would expect in an entry level radio. I have not done any mixing yet so I cannot compare it.

Thanks for clarifying. Your original statement could lead some to believe that you had compared other SS offerings with your friend and he had some info that helped you pick Futaba over the others... I also doubt anyone is surprised by the issue with the T6EX because it is as you said -- an entry level radio.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:01 AM
PJ_TankPilot

After weeks of research, reading manuals and talking to trusted sources, I have flopped back to my original decision. The JR X9303 is the best 2.4 radio for me.

Then, I got lucky and found one without servos at my LHS.

It will take time to get used to the different programming. I will lose some capabilities and gain others.

Probably the biggest problem will be finding the retract switch when I need to find it fast.

For me, the Model Match function is a biggy. Since going to multi-model transmitters, I have taken off on the wrong model about a dozen times. I always check that the surfaces are moving in the correct direction before taking off so none were a disaster, just a PITA. I once took off a conventional aircraft using a V-Tail mix model. Exciting but manageable. I am old and getting older quickly. Model Match will be my friend.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:09 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I honestly don't think the programming is easier or harder... they are just different..
I flew with the 9C for a couple years (now fly with the 14mz)
and to me it was very easy to program...I have used a friends 9303 and found it cumbersome to program...

Now that being said.. I honestly believe it is because I was used to the 9C.. they are both excellent radios, just different....

to the origianl post...

Look at the features of the radio, Not whether it is 2.4 or not....
all the Futaba radios with modules will be an easy convert to 2.4 very soon....
Old 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

The programming is just different....

Having used both the Futaba 9C Super and the 9ZAP WC2, I can tell you it is a change. The biggest difference you will find is in the switch/function assignment area. With the Futaba, you can put any function on any switch, not so with JR. If you just follow the programming sequence in the JR, it does flow more naturally than the Futaba.

You have to pay attention to what functions you wish to assign to the extra channels, i.e. anything above #4 as certain channels have access to certain switches you may wish to use for various functions. In some cases, there might be an issue with being able to put something where you're used to finding it, or in the channel you used to use. Then there is the mixing stuff; some mixes have access to different switches than others, some have trim following and others don't, you need to check those out before deciding which of the available mixes you want to use for a particular function.

That being said, the ability of the JR to independently adjust servo centers and travel limits on the slave servo, i.e. dual elevators and ailerons, the JR has Futaba beat six ways to breakfast. This is especially apparent when trying to match the dual elevator servos where the 9C uses channels #2 and #8 and getting those lined up together for neutrals and endpoints can be a real hassle. Even then the latency issue crops up due to the way the information is translated from your stick inputs and transmitted to the rx.

The JR allows you to slave whichever channel you want to another, adjust them independently, and transmits them together. This is the servo synch function. In the 2.4, the whole data stream is transmitted in a much faster manner than a typical 72MHz system.

Now there are things I miss about my 9Z, but it's hardly fair to compare a $1200 radio to a $600 radio and after having used both the DX-7 for awhile and now the X9303, I wouldn't go back....

If you really want to get a "WOW" factor, fly one of your models on the 9C then change over to the JR 2.4 and fly the same model, the difference in the speed of the radio creates a much faster response in the model and what I've seen others describe as a "more connected feel" when flying. Lots of guys have had to adjust their timing for control inputs when going to the 2.4 system since it's so fast and doesn't require the lead time for control inputs that the 72MHz stuff does.

Just my .02 as the usual crowd of naysayers will be adding their opinions, which they are entitled to, but I'm getting really tired of reading posts from guys who don't own the systems they talk about, or complain because the inadequate power systems they've run for years and gotten away with, don't work with this new technology. Now standing by with flame suit on....[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Oh, the model match is great too!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Hey Zeep, I'll stand with you. I'm using a 10X on a module waiting to see what the 12x software shows me. Only have one 9303X left in the store and already have taken B/O on the 12 even tho I don't have prices yet. Real tired of the battery issue some people keep bringing up. Dennis
Old 11-17-2007, 11:45 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is apparant that a lot of flyers really don't fly stuff, where mismatch of elevators is a problem.
My own background of doing pattern planes for years -made this issue important -
the sloppy matching of the two -common on both Futaba and some JR stuf was maddening .
I have taken models setup on two elvatotr servos and rebuilt the elevator setup to a good single servo drive -and seen noticeable improvment in tracking -at speed .
again some models can fly on one elevator and the user would not see much difference but the "hands off trim" freaks really noticed .
The JR10X and other 10 series had horrible mismatch with elev and channel aux4.
the Futaba 9c -also -not good - the Spektrums are spot on if you keep your lunchhooks off the sub trim/etc..
Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Josey Wales

I just converted my 50cc yak from a 9C to the 2.4 9303. I had my elevator servos on a y harness. I took off the Y and plugged each servo into its own port and they match perfectly thanks to the servo-sync on the 9303..another extra connection now eliminated!
Old 11-17-2007, 02:12 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Hey Zeep, I'll stand with you. I'm using a 10X on a module waiting to see what the 12x software shows me. Only have one 9303X left in the store and already have taken B/O on the 12 even tho I don't have prices yet. Real tired of the battery issue some people keep bringing up. Dennis
Its NOT a battery issue as much as it is a reading comprehension issue.[&o]

The battery issues are from those who a) never owned the set (lots of them) b) those who never owned AND/OR have never flown the set (a fair bunch of those also) and c) those who are going to wait for _______fill in the blank brand.

The Fact is that a DX7 will flat out fly a 10X----owned 'em both-----no doubt in my mind!

The DX7 has shown me that I do not need to look at the 12X. The X9303 now sits beside me----we shall see.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Zeeb I hear ya, you have gone the same route as me and I was a little disapointed in the 9303 until I realised that it was not a $1200 radio, now Im struggling to remember the Futaba way when asked for setup advice.

Seems like years since I pulled an antenna out, nearly had an oops training someone the other day as I forgot to extend the antenna.
Must be getting old!!
Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another Spectrum failure occurred at the field today. It appeared to be a low voltage reset failure.

Bill
Old 11-17-2007, 10:12 PM
onewasp

I happen to question your veracity. Or in other words I feel you indulge in the dissemination of complete 'balderdash".

I have flown at multiple fields with multiple DX7's in operation and various sets with Spektrum module conversions including the XP9303 and 10X . Further I fly the DX7 myself. The time period will be one full year in a few more days.

And you want me/us to believe that you constantly observe these "happenings"?
After roughly 50years of RC flying I believe I MIGHT qualify as an experienced observer.

We have had not one single failure for any reason and that includes the newbies. Yet you wish us to believe that you see failures constantly, including the post on which I am commenting.

You have been guilty of posting these "findings/observations" month after month after month on various threads.

Do NOT buy it!

If memory serves me correctly you do not own or fly the system I (we) have found to be so completely reliable---correct?

Yet you know so very much----hog wash, you must have a close relationship with the "Tooth Fairy" among others of that Ilk.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Quick Comment

Please refrain from making derogatory comments about other users on any rebuttals.

Thank You

Ian
Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: BillS

Another Spectrum failure occurred at the field today. It appeared to be a low voltage reset failure.

Bill
Without any specific details this comment is meaningless
Old 11-19-2007, 09:34 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The owner appears reluctant to discuss the issue. However he is a good flyer an very knowledgeable about batteries. The time from "The radio is dead." to ground contact seemed long. Suspect the crash was the classic low voltage receiver reset.

Bill
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: BillS

The owner appears reluctant to discuss the issue. However he is a good flyer an very knowledgeable about batteries. The time from "The radio is dead." to ground contact seemed long. Suspect the crash was the classic low voltage receiver reset.

Bill
OK let me think---
the low voltage is caused by the rx -not the battery to servo relationship
did I get that right?
OR
the low voltage is cause by the rx -not a mismatched ESC / servo draw setup--
right?
Golly Goshes ! I never knew that the rx controlled voltage
thanks for the update !
I will file that in my CLASSIC INFO FILE
Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
DadsToysBG

Same thing goes here at our field. Not one issue with any of the systems. And to OneWasp, The Spektrum DX-7 is a fine radio, but don't tell me it is better then the 10x in mixing. Makes me wonder if you ever had one. Now the 9303 is has good or better. The reason I want to see what the 12x has to offer is in the mixing. I know they are re-writing some of the software for jets and giant scale. and I do like the triple rate switches that the 10x has. Dennis
Old 11-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

I did Witness an interesting failure the other day.

Not with the 2.4 but with the way it interfaces with the JR 10x

A friend who is an expert Jet Pilots with hundreds of Flights on his 10x with 2.4 made a Roll just after takeoff. The BVM KIng Cat stayed in the Roll for 2 additional revolutions.

At this point he was about out of energy and I asked him if that was him making those inputs ( He usually just does One Roll) he responded it's not him.

He was able to recovery about 4 to 5 feet over the ground and flew a normal Downwind pattern. On the Base leg the Aircraft would not turn Final.

It Overshot final buy 100 feet. He then regained control and tried to bring it to the Runway ASAP.

Fortunately he made the Runway with no damage just all of our Pulse Rate elevated.

Upon inspection the Gold Connector on the back of the Spectrum Transmitter Module was loose by 1/2 a turn.

Thats all we could find wrong. When we tighted this and performed a range check all was correct.
The general feeling was that putting the Transmitter down with that cable on the back could have caused it to loosen.

Ian
Old 11-19-2007, 12:14 PM
rmh

ouch!
Like the good ol 72 mhz antenna, which were screwed down inside the case and you could accidently loosen em -
Old 11-19-2007, 12:31 PM
DadsToysBG

I use a small pair of pliers and do a light tug on the nut. If they ever get the new radio case out, I won't have to remove the antenna when i go home. Dennis
Old 11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
onewasp

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Same thing goes here at our field. Not one issue with any of the systems. And to OneWasp, The Spektrum DX-7 is a fine radio, but don't tell me it is better then the 10x in mixing. Makes me wonder if you ever had one. Now the 9303 is has good or better. The reason I want to see what the 12x has to offer is in the mixing. I know they are re-writing some of the software for jets and giant scale. and I do like the triple rate switches that the 10x has. Dennis

Yep.
Flew one for five years. Both on six and on 72 Synthesized.
I use virtually no mixes. Just a couple that hardly show but make my flights just a shade easier. After nearly fifty years the mixes are all in my thumbs! (Mode one flier).
Use rates for but one maneuver (depends on the A/C).

I do however use rates and flight modes for set up.

As I fly virtually all my own stuff, if a mix is badly needed that plane is replaced with a straighter one----or at least one with a design change that takes out the 'unwanted'.
So far my best attempt is dead neutral except when flown in extended knife edge. Then I use a touch of elevator (added not mixed) Been at this too long I guess.[]

I still have my receipt for the 10X should you be hard to convince!
Ditto for the DX7 and now the X9303.

There is no way in Hell that a 10X can be as accurate on input and latency as the DX7. ---assuming the same piloting skills. Had them both. Flew them both.
I vote DX7 every time.
(I do use high end servos and test for pot drift after every 30 to 40 flights.) I will probably have one set of pots replaced this winter but my other servo sets are on the money.

Before the 10X (staying with digital Propo only) was Orbit 6-12IC, several Kraft sixes, the number one Kraft Signature Series (S/N 19) which was replaced by the JR Unlimited eight and on to the 10X, DX7 and X9303.

I still have the Sig Series (six meter)---as I say I would be surprised if I cannot go a lot further back than can you..
BTW the servos from the Unlimited 8 are still in use by the flier to whom I sold it. They have been relegated to non primary duty but still work.

My sole purpose in going to the X9303 is to see if I can feel any difference 1024 to 2048. As I fly precision, I would doubt it. The mixes, as with the 10X are there to play with, but that is it.

You younger fellows are used to too many 'doo-dads' in order to fly tens.[X(]

Need a copy of the 10X receipt to be convinced? I can furnish it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.