Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum buddy box question

Old 11-07-2007, 10:11 PM
flag8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum buddy box question

I am attempting to train someone that has a DX6 transmitter. The club has JR radios with trainer cords. Will these 2 be compatible? Will the DX6 be the master or slave? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:50 PM
alan0899

Default RE: Spectrum buddy box question

G'day Mate,
The DX6 is compatable with Spektrum & JR radios with trainer socket, If the DX6 is installed in the trainer plane, then it is the "master" & the other radio is the "slave" & the slave must be turned OFF.
Read the DX6 manual for further instructions.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:46 AM
cheddar-caveman

I fly this combination at a school where I run a training class and yes, exactly as Alan says. It depends which system is installed in the plane itself which determins which Tx is Master or Slave. Your DX6 is 2.4Ghz and your JR's etc are probably on 35Mhz.
Be aware also that the DX6 is intended for "park" flying, with limited range.
As I am sure you know, it is also very important to "zero" the slave Tx controls before flying, and also to remove the xtal. This saves on battery drain as the Master Tx also supplys power to the slave Tx.
Happy Flying
CCM (England)
Old 11-08-2007, 04:43 AM
alan0899

G'day CCM,
Quote: also to remove the xtal. This saves on battery drain as the Master Tx also supplys power to the slave Tx.
End quote,

There is no need to remove the xtal from the slave TX, as the slave is not turned on, so it can't transmit, & also the master does not supply power to the slave, if this were true you would not need a charged battery in the slave, which you do. At least for JR, I'm not talking about other brands here.
The slave lights up, but does not transmit, when the trainer lead is plugged in, this lets the master & slave work together, when the master's trainer button is depressed.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 PM
John C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience, at least with two DX6s is that you set the trims and controls exactly the same and check the trainer switch shifts to the slave transmitter and you are ready to go!

John C
Old 11-15-2007, 04:27 AM
cheddar-caveman

G'day again alan. Another great flying day here in sunny England!!!

jmacg - take note of the comment by JohnC. VERY IMPORTANT that you CHECK BEFORE FLYING that the slave trims etc exactly match the master settings or you can get some scarey manouvers up there when you push the trainer button! With plane on the ground, using the MASTER, make sure all the controls are zero'd and move as you want them. Now push the trainer button and watch for control surface movement and adjust as necessary to mak it exactly as the master. Repeat a few times between master/slave. Only after these checks, fly!

Happy flying and safe landings. CCM