Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Profi 4000/servo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 04:05 AM
tknobby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Profi 4000/servo question

I am in the process of setting up my new Profi 4000 transmitter (Ver 2). I am using the Multiplex Micro Digi servos. I see that the servos come 2 ways; 1 w/ Multiplex connector set up with MPX signal - 1.6 +- .55ms and 1 w/ Uni connector set up with Uni signal - 1.5 +- .5 ms.

1st; How can I change the servo setting from Uni type to MPX type? I have the Uni plugs on both the Rec (9ch IPD) and servos. Do I need to change this?

2nd; When I flip switch #1 "up" a buzzer sounds and the changes to a rhythmic beep. I haven't figured out why and how to stop this sound. And what is this buzzer for? I want to use this switch to change from flight mode 1 to mode 2 and then to mode 3 - all for the same model. (Basically from low rates to mid rates and then to 3D rates.)

3rd; Has anybody else used these Micro servos and if so are they usually this notchy?

Thanks in advance. As I get further along in this transmitter I'll have more questions.

BTW, this is by far the best transmitter I have ever seen. The programming available is almost unbelievable.

Tom...
Old 04-01-2003, 08:44 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The timing of a servo is identified by its plug. If it has the Mpx plug it is an Mpx timed servo, if it has a JR plug it is a uni timed servo. AFAIK, you don’t get Mpx plugged servos and Rx in the USA.

You need to set the Tx to uni timing, all the base models are Mpx timing. However this just corrects the centre to 1.5ms, it still leaves the travel at Mpx value which is +/- 0.55ms whereas JR uses +/-0.4ms and Futaba seems to use +/-0.43ms. If you are using the 4000 to take over a model which has already been set for a Japanese Tx at 100% travels, then you will get too much movement. The factor to convert Mpx to JR is 73%, so go to the servo travel screen and instead of having 100% travel each way turn it down to 73% each way, then you will get the same movement as before. The factor for Mpx to Futaba is 78%.

The beeping on moving the switch is probably a mode alarm. Perhaps you have assigned it as a mode switch but not created the modes. It sounds like you want 3 modes so are using a 3 position switch? If so it will be interpreted as a 2 position switch until you tell the Tx to interpret it as a 3 position switch and this might be causing the alarm. To tell the Tx it is a 3 position switch, go to menu2, assign switches, scroll to the transfer switch (there are 2 of them T1 and T2) and assign T1 to whichever physical switch you are using for the modes. Then in the mode setup you don’t assign the modes to the physical switch Sx, you assign them to T1.

This may sound like unnecessary complication for a 3 position switch, after all you don’t need to do that on a Japanese radio, they know it is a 3 position switch. But that is because they are factory designed and fitted and programmed to have a 3 position switch at that input to the processor, and no changes are allowed. Mpx allow you to plug in any switch or push button or whatever of your choice at any of the ports on the motherboard. A secondary port, S1-S12, could therefore have a 2 or 3 position device plugged in, and switches are not plug’n’play so the Tx defaults to assuming it to be a 2 position device. If you plug in a 3 pos device to a secondary port, you use the transfer switch to indicate it is 3 pos and assign modes, mixers, etc to the T switch. You can still assign things to the S switch at the same time but it will be interpreted as 2 positions not 3 and you can use this to your advantage, say 3 modes but 2 rates off the same 3 position switch.

Harry
Old 04-01-2003, 08:57 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I urge you most strongly to create your own “master” model and in future copy that to “empty” in order to create a new model, rather than using a base model template each time. Create your master from the universal base model.

See my explanation about why and how, at www.rc-soar.com, go to the 4000 pages and look at “migrating”.

Harry
Old 04-01-2003, 01:47 PM
tknobby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ah ha

Thanks for posting Harry.

I think you are correct in saying the switch is only set up as a 2 position while it is really a 3 position. I want to use the 3 position switch to change to 3 different flight modes. I'll correct this when I get home this evening. That makes a lot of sense. I have looked long and hard for some sort of timer or such being switched on in the menu's.

The servo/receiver situation is a shame here in the USA. I would like to use the MPX plugs on both the units. Not the Uni's. At least with my 4000. Oh well...

I'll go to rc-soar and read your notes on “migrating”.

Thanks Harry...

Tom